KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Verdict: It's going back :sad:

Leaving aside the aesthetics of the screen, which depends on your taste, the Puig Bat is big, which is what I wanted. I wanted something that would push aside maximal air especially for chilly mornings and long summer rides. And that it does. Unfortunately, it has 2 major drawbacks.

The big one is it makes the airflow at my helmet turbulent, and the resulting noise is unbearable. I'm 5'9" (175cm). If I scrunch down a little bit it's fine, but in a normal upright riding stance... forget it. The video below I captured tonight on my test run. That loud wind noise is exactly what I hear inside my helmet.

The second is that it reflects the top of the headlights (and the display). Granted, during the day it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable, but it's annoying at night. You don't see the reflection in the video because of the position of the camera... see the pic for an idea.

Sooo... the screen's going back. I'm thinking the Ermax will be up next.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could try adding an X-creen Sport by MRA. It's a small additional windscreen attached to the top of the main screen. Angle and height are adjustable. It comes with clamps or it can be attached permanently with screws.

It works really well on my MRA CustomShield, which might be a bit bigger than your Puig. I have no turbulence that I can feel. I always wear earplugs so there might be some wind noise that I can't hear. My main objective is to keep bugs off my face shield, and the X-creen lets me put the top just below eye level without fiddling with the mounts for the main screen. For twisty roads I lower it a bit to get a clearer view of the nearby road surface.

Sure it's ugly, but I don't care. At 14 my dream was to own a '60s Bonneville, so anything angular looks ugly to me. The 790 is quite a bit uglier than most, so I don't see how a windshield can make it any uglier. (I owned a Batmobile - '01 Z06 - for 16 years, so appearance really doesn't matter to me.) You shallow appearance first types can criticize all you want - it'll just be amusing to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 790 is quite a bit uglier than most
How dare you call my baby ugly... them's are fightin' words

You could try adding an X-creen Sport by MRA.
I already sent the screen back, but that's a good tip, thanks. Any chance you can post a pic of the bike with MRA shield?

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I like the MRA. It looks like a nice screen. I opted for the Ermax though and will let you know how that is when I fit it. Same deal with the headlight reflection, so today I am painting it matte black and will fit it when it dries. Keep in mind, it is like 1/3 the size of the Bat!

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Holy riot shields batman.

Leaving aside the aesthetics
aside, top, bottom, over under, pretty much everywhere.

Hopefully you find something more suitable, in the past I've found smaller screens actually do a good job splitting the air current, my street triple had a tiny front cowl but it made quite a big difference surprisingly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ear plugs help a ton with wind turbulence.
I can use (bear) my screen-added wind noise with them on. The extra noise is still there, but is manageable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts