KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Thanks Evans!

Really appreciate the info and your feedback as I was considering this myself.

Was... :cry:

$800CDN here for that combo (installed) which nets the minutest of gains is a tough ask for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very interesting story! I appreciate your determination in chasing down the gremlins. Unfortunately, given that I would place the same restrictions on my own bike, I can't ever imagine going through the trouble or expense to install the system. Far too modest of gains to be worth it - and I don't often find my Duke to be too slow :)

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Evans!

Really appreciate the info and your feedback as I was considering this myself.

Was... :cry:

$800CDN here for that combo (installed) which nets the minutest of gains is a tough ask for me.
I did choose the most restrictive route with my steadfast commitment to being quiet. If you don't share that belief, there are more ponies available...

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
I did choose the most restrictive route with my steadfast commitment to being quiet. If you don't share that belief, there are more ponies available...
Sadly I'm in the same boat with regard to noisy exhausts - stock or a VERY quiet aftermarket unit would be my only options as well as the check engine light being off as well.

Glass is half full - KTM set it up at max bang for buck in their engine room.
Glass is half empty - We all like to farkle our bikes and spending insane money on parts we don't need shouldn't be this hard dammit! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
@EvansB2 does it do anything for fueling issues?Smooth out the throttle around town? I feel like the bike has more to gain there than in the power department.

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@EvansB2 does it do anything for fueling issues?Smooth out the throttle around town? I feel like the bike has more to gain there than in the power department.
I've never had an issue with the throttle around town. So, I can't really tell you. It runs fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly I'm in the same boat with regard to noisy exhausts - stock or a VERY quiet aftermarket unit would be my only options as well as the check engine light being off as well.

Glass is half full - KTM set it up at max bang for buck in their engine room.
Glass is half empty - We all like to farkle our bikes and spending insane money on parts we don't need shouldn't be this hard dammit! :)
I recently totaled up what I've spent on the 790, and I was shocked. So shocked, in fact, that I immediately deleted the spreadsheet. I can't have my lovely wife finding any incriminating evidence...

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
I recently totaled up what I've spent on the 790, and I was shocked. So shocked, in fact, that I immediately deleted the spreadsheet. I can't have my lovely wife finding any incriminating evidence...

When Club Racing, the #1 rule, like Fight Club, was to NEVER look at Credit Card statements, except of course to hide them from your spouse. It's depressing and brings me to my next gripe - pricing on the 890R.

On the 790:

• Suspension upgrade - $2k minimum
  • Braking package to get close - $600-$1400 depending on calipers or not - just an RCS, fluid, pads.
  • Seat cowl - $200
  • Top spec tires (I swapped mine at the dealer, not riding on those budget Maxxis) - $250 after selling oem for $200
That's a $3000+ investment and you're still down 15-20 ponies and 8-9ft lbs as well of course but oh wait, the 890R is only $1000 more? Seriously KTM? Thankfully they are extremely limited in supply but regardless, that's a kick in the pants.

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When Club Racing, the #1 rule, like Fight Club, was to NEVER look at Credit Card statements, except of course to hide them from your spouse. It's depressing and brings me to my next gripe - pricing on the 890R.

On the 790:

• Braking package to get close - $600-$1400 depending on calipers or not - just an RCS, fluid, pads.
  • Seat cowl - $200
  • Top spec tires (I swapped mine at the dealer, not riding on those budget Maxxis) - $250 after selling oem for $200
That's a $3000+ investment and you're still down 15-20 ponies and 8-9ft lbs as well of course but oh wait, the 890R is only $1000 more? Seriously KTM? Thankfully they are extremely limited in supply but regardless, that's a kick in the pants.
Well, you've pretty much summed up an article I'm writing for next week. However, I need to add the $1,400 I spent on exhaust sound and slightly more power. I'll say here, like I say in the article, I'm still madly in love with my 790, and I've had a year's worth of fun modifying the bike. Also, while I never expected an 890, I've known since before I bought my 790, that an R version had to be coming, and it didn't deter me.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Well, you've pretty much summed up an article I'm writing for next week. However, I need to add the $1,400 I spent on exhaust sound and slightly more power. I'll say here, like I say in the article, I'm still madly in love with my 790, and I've had a year's worth of fun modifying the bike. Also, while I never expected an 890, I've known since before I bought my 790, that an R version had to be coming, and it didn't deter me.
Didn't your Akra cost you 0.8hp? Or do you mean mid-range?

Further to your point about the 790 VS 890... I use this analogy with potential clients of mine who ask me why they should hire a restaurant consultant (me) to negotiate their contracts with food suppliers and why does it cost so much for my services?
I tell them it's understandable and human nature is such that if I were to offer a stranger $10 for no apparent reason, they'd take it gladly and be tickled pink BUT, if I gave that same stranger $20 and then the next say saw them and said "Hey, remember that $20, yeah sorry but I need $10 of that back from you". Most people, even though they'd still be up that same $10, would be annoyed at best, and downright pissed off at worst and refuse to refund the money.
I essentially negotiate on their (restaurant's) behalf, get them the $20 (over and above what they could have without me), and ask $10 for my services. Most are happy with it but a LOT don't appreciate that math.

To circle back - I feel that way about the 790 now that the 890R has been released and we have pricing - I'm happy with the $10 (790) but REALLY wish I could have kept all $20 (held out for the 890R).

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My feeling is that I’m paying the early adopter tax. I felt the same way when the price went down on the first generation iPhone just a couple of months after it came out.

·
Registered
53 Posts

On the 790:

• Seat cowl - $200
it's really more than a $1k difference at this point in time. With the steep discounts on 790s right now, plus the fact that you'd have to add almost another $1000 for the track mode, quick shifter and MSR options - most of which are included with the 790, the difference gets a little harder to justify if you're not planning to track it and really just want to do some commuting and sporty backroad riding. That being said, I gladly waited 2 years and paid the extra for the 890, but I knew that I didn't want to make a project out of this bike and I'm lucky enough to have other bikes. KTM did throw a real curve by bumping up the displacement though - but that may have had more to do with Euro5 compliance then straight up performance, although the 15 or so ponies and torque bump are nice side effect!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've never had an issue with the throttle around town. So, I can't really tell you. It runs fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
Oh, I thought it was just about a universal experience to find the 790’s fueling to be shite. It’s certainly discussed on here enough, and matches my thoughts.

All good!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's my latest 790-related review on Motorcycle.com:

Thanks for the great write up Evans! Interesting that you had two faulty PC units. My experiences with PCs have been the same over the years - I've had so many faulty and failed units in the past that I've stopped using them completely. It's been a few years now so maybe they've improved the quality of the components or their manufacturing process, but I just don't find those things to be reliable.

·
VIP member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I thought it was just about a universal experience to find the 790’s fueling to be shite. It’s certainly discussed on here enough, and matches my thoughts.

All good!
Yeah, I've seen it discussed a ton. I've just never experienced it.

·
Registered
53 Posts

All good!

I keep hearing how bad the FI is on the 790. But so far, and I've only got 300 or so break in miles on my 890, the fueling is spot on in the sport and track maps. I know the electronics on the 890 are much different as well as the cylinder heads, but man this bike might have the best FI I've experienced!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts