KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
EvansB2-

Great article and thanks for sharing!

I am hoping to get my 790 by the end of the month. I am fine with learning the bike the way it is (For the most part), however do you see value in my replacing the front pads with the EBC Double-H pads right away upon delivery?

Then go discs, then a new MC, as I learn the bike and want improved feel (Just as you did).

I also want to say that I saw a similar setup as yours on the Pikes Peak 790 Duke race bike. I think that bike had different disks and MC, but kept the KTM branded calipers.

·
VIP member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you’re right about the Pikes Peak bike. I had a long talk with Chris Filmore about the modifications to his bike and the issues I was having with mine over the 17 RCS, and he said that the 19 was the way to go.

About your bike: Yes, start with the HH pads first. (I like EBC.) After you get used to the bike, you’ll know if you want to go further with the brakes. Naturally, I feel the incremental path I took is best because that’s how I did it. Only you can decide if you want to jump in with both feet and do it all at once.

Have fun!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for this! I hadn't seen any measurements of the stock master anywhere, so I wasn't sure what was going to be an upgrade. SDR master is a PR16 but people have reported an improvement. I'll just keep on with my EBC pads until I'm good enough for a big boy mcyl. :)

·
Super-Moderator
581 Posts
Great article.

We had a discussion of 17 vs. 19, after I installed mine. I did not try the 17 and jumped immediately to the 19 in order to get the quick pressure buildup I was looking for, which in turn translates to a very specific lever feel that I like. In a way i was lucky because it seems that the 17 done not work as well for our setup.

If you are a bit more adventurous, you should be able to pick up a used Brembo RCS 19 for ~$200 and do the work yourself. I believe the entire conversion cost me well under $250.

M/C conversion and the HH pads, are probably the best mod(s) available for our 790 Duke.

For a DIY guide/post to the conversion, you can go HERE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, you’re right about the Pikes Peak bike. I had a long talk with Chris Filmore about the modifications to his bike
Hello Evans, I love your reviews and how you are evolving your 790. :smile:

Would you like to share with us the talk you had with Chris about the mods to his bike?

Also, I noticed his 790 Pikes Peak evolved a little bit since the Pikes Peak days. I think he installed at least the triple clamp from KTM power parts.

·
VIP member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw Chris at the 1290 SDR intro. So, we really only talked about the brakes on the 790. The rest of the conversation was about the SDR. Sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts