KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 890 duke is still running in.
The engine is so taperty on cold start, it also feels very sluggish as well for first few miles.
After a few miles engine changes to much quieter and seems much more perky.
I guess the cold noise is an engine trait, but is the power restricted when cold as a safety measure for the engine.. Thanks

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
175 Posts
My 890 duke is still running in.
The engine is so taperty on cold start, it also feels very sluggish as well for first few miles.
After a few miles engine changes to much quieter and seems much more perky.
I guess the cold noise is an engine trait, but is the power restricted when cold as a safety measure for the engine.. Thanks
Get the dealer to listen to the engine from a cold start-up. It sounds to me like you might have a poor timing chain tensioner. This is not uncommon and easily replaced - mine did the same. My dealer fitted a new tensioner valve. This pumped up faster and reduced the "tappety" noise somewhat.

KTM's are characteristically clattery by comparison to many other makes.

Many things will improve after your first service. New engine oil will cushion everything. The dealer will unlock the mapping constraints, which will release more performance. (I don't know the extent of the protective restrictions in the ECU software, but they undoubtedly exist)

Your engine will progressively free up - mine keeps getting better as mileage increases. i.e. its faster now at +7k miles than it was at 4k.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts