KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the first oil change today at 1000kms (1021 to be exact) and on the 790 it was a pretty easy process to rest the service warning but I can't figure it out on the 890 - any help from those more technically inclined than myself?

790 was:

• settings
  • trips/data
  • service
  • hold up and down arrows at the same time for 5 seconds to open the menu
  • set new date and mileage for warning
  • hold Set button 5 seconds to accept the new info
890 I can't get to open the service menu to reset mileage/date.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm just gonna take mine to a dealership for them to reset. Also check if there are any updates or relearning to do

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just gonna take mine to a dealership for them to reset. Also check if there are any updates or relearning to do
I'll also be taking it to them for the same stuff - it just saves me $50 in labour (1/2 hour) to do the oil change myself - $175 for them to go over the rest of the bike versus $225 if I had them do it - parts not included of course.

I'd just like to get the service warning reset as I'll be riding it while waiting for my appt to get it in to the shop and I'm OCD about getting rid if that warning every time I start the bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did the first oil change today at 1000kms (1021 to be exact) and on the 790 it was a pretty easy process to rest the service warning but I can't figure it out on the 890 - any help from those more technically inclined than myself?

790 was:

• settings
  • trips/data
  • service
I just did mine on my 790 and it wouldn’t go to the ´set service’ menu with only up and down buttons, it work with ‘up’ ‘down’ and ‘set’ together. Don’t know why? But it worked 🤔

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll also be taking it to them for the same stuff - it just saves me $50 in labour (1/2 hour) to do the oil change myself - $175 for them to go over the rest of the bike versus $225 if I had them do it - parts not included of course.

I'd just like to get the service warning reset as I'll be riding it while waiting for my appt to get it in to the shop and I'm OCD about getting rid if that warning every time I start the bike.
I changed the oil myself as well, I meant I'm gonna take it to the dealership to reset the light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just hit my mileage this afternoon also and tried to reset...unsuccessfully. I too would like to reset myself without having to need the dealer.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just did mine on my 790 and it wouldn’t go to the ´set service’ menu with only up and down buttons, it work with ‘up’ ‘down’ and ‘set’ together. Don’t know why? But it worked 🤔
I'll give that a shot - thanks Pat!

·
Registered
155 Posts

790 was:

• settings
  • trips/data
  • service
That worked on my 890

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That worked on my 890

I must have a stubborn one then - no go - even tried Pat's trick of pressing all three at once - nada.

Side note - what software version you all have - mine says V0.12 - do we all have that or are there different software maps?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I must have a stubborn one then - no go - even tried Pat's trick of pressing all three at once - nada.

Side note - what software version you all have - mine says V0.12 - do we all have that or are there different software maps?
It did take me multiple tries to get it reset. I wasn't holding the last step for 5 seconds or something.
I'm on the AKRA map but I'll look what version it says for me.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At the 830km mark 2 days ago I checked the bike over and found this little leak out of one of the screen drain bolts.

Swapped oil/filter, cleaned the screens and magnets - buttoned it all back up - went for a ride - still there so off to the dealer today it goes - hoping its a simple o-ring replacement fix.

I'll ask them the secret to re-setting the service warning once I talk to the Tech.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I changed my oil, wiped everything down, re-torqued to spec. Went out on a 10 mile "spirited" ride after break-in. Came back to the same leakage - as above, and as I've been having the whole time. I think it's coming from the CSS, and slowly drips down to the bottom of the screen drain bolts. It will be going to the dealer to get this handled. I'm anxious to hear from others to see if the new CSS fixes this issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I went to reset mine again to figure out whats going on with you guys' and I learned that if the service light is NOT ON, you cannot reset or change the service interval, so I can't reset those options for 3000 miles lol. I am also Version .12, even with the AKRA map.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to reset mine again to figure out whats going on with you guys' and I learned that if the service light is NOT ON, you cannot reset or change the service interval, so I can't reset those options for 3000 miles lol. I am also Version .12, even with the AKRA map.
So even though my service light is on (everytime I start the bike is appears) I still can't get it to activate by doing the previously mentioned steps. Weird.

I dropped the bike off at my dealer yesterday and asked them to reset it to my preferred service interval of 7,000 kms (4000 miles) instead of the factory recommended 10,000 kms (6000 miles) so hopefully they can do that at least.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had to do this today (reset the service indicator), and came across this thread while looking for a "how-to". I was able to make it work following these steps, which are slightly different from above:

• From the main menu, select "Trips/Data".
• Scroll down until "Settings" is highlighted (not "Service"), but don't actually enter the "Settings" menu.
• Press the Up and Down arrows simultaneously for 5 sec, and the service interval menu will appear.
• Adjust mileage and month fields (1 - 12) as desired, then press and hold the Set button until the change registers

If you then toggle the ignition off/on the new setting should have stuck. Good luck to the next guy... ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had to do this today (reset the service indicator), and came across this thread while looking for a "how-to". I was able to make it work following these steps, which are slightly different from above:

• From the main menu, select "Trips/Data".
• Scroll down until "Settings" is highlighted (not "Service"), but don't actually enter the "Settings" menu.
• Press the Up and Down arrows simultaneously for 5 sec, and the service interval menu will appear.
• Adjust mileage and month fields (1 - 12) as desired, then press and hold the Set button until the change registers

If you then toggle the ignition off/on the new setting should have stuck. Good luck to the next guy... ;)
Many thanks! I can confirm that under version V.12 of the software this works perfectly. Thank you for the crystal clear instructions.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
Followed the instruction on the repair manual, with ease and success. Attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Lonster

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don’t know if the KTM hotline is a worldwide service, but in the Netherlands if you miss one service at the dealer with a registration on ktm.dealer.net they won’t pick you up if your bike fails. Even when the millage is not reached you need at least one official service per year. Just to bare in mind when you reset the service indication.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts