KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Remove and fit rear wheel.

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Eon790duke 
#1 ·
The title of the forum is "what did you do to your KTM 790 today" - well I removed and re-fitted the rear wheel and found it was not easy. I can do this job on most Japanese bikes in minutes. The 790 was a bit more complex. Firstly I found I had to slide out the rear brake caliper to get the wheel out, after that no problems. On fitting the wheel back I realised the chain guard was stopping the wheel clearing the brake caliper, so I removed that. Then the could not get the brake disc into the caliper and keep the right hand axle spacer in. Removed the floating pad and all went in easily. Fitted the floating pad and the chain guard when wheel was in position. Job took around 20 minutes - as I said I can do this easily in two minutes on most Jap machines. Reason for doing this is that I will soon be buying a new rear tyre and I always like to do the wheel change myself.

#4 ·
Bumping an old thread - anyone else had issues with this? I'm having different ones - the rear axle doesn't want to come out or go back in easily. I've been tracking/racing motorcycles for a decade and the only time I've ever had issues like this was on a then-old Buell whose axle had never been regreased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.