KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have members made any modifications to reduce the kerb weight of the 790?

The reason I ask is that I have a motorhome (or RV if you're from across the pond) which my 149kg Duke 390 goes on the back of on a rack. 150kg is the absolute maximum for the rack but I really, really want a 790. So it would have to go on a diet to lose 18kg.

All I can think of is exhaust, rear foot pegs and bar end mirrors. But that might not be enough. I think there is a term "incremental improvements" in racing where you would make lots of little changes and they add up... Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
443 Posts
In addition to what you mentioned:

-passenger grab rail removed
-passenger seat swapped for Powerparts cover
-easiest one is costly though - front rotor swap mentioned on this forum in other threads say a massive weight decrease over OEM ones - something like 2-3kg I believe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lithium Ion Battery?

Forged Wheels?

520 chain and sprockets?

Remove rear fender and chain-guard?

Remove handlebar end weights?

Re-upholster seat with thinner padding?

How far are you willing to go, and how much are you willing to spend? All in all you could probably reduce by 25kg or more.

Probably more practical to get a different rack or alternate way of transporting it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lithium Battery : - 2kg Batterie Skyrich Lithium HJTX14H-FP 90€

Short Slip on : -2,6 kg 220€ Ixrace Mk2

Decat : -3 kg 190€ (arrow, Mivv...)

Use one aluminium Bar end miror and remove mirors and the 2 bar end: - 0.8kg 40€ from alibaba ^^

Remove tool kit : -1kg (not sure) 0€

Front Rotor : Galfer wave 300mm : -3kg 420€ Ktm PP

Short aluminium tail tidy : 0,5kg 50€ ebay

Rear foot peg removal : -0,8kg 20€ for the new aluminium exhaust support
Lighter Tires : 1,5 Kg 250€

Passager Grab Tail : more than 0,5 kg 0€
Aluminium Fuel tank cap : 0,5kg 150€
passenger seat swapped for Powerparts cover: ??

Very nice project but not really an option IMO :

Carbon Parts : Wheels : -5 Kg 4000€

Carbon Parts : All Body parts -2 1500€ :crying:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments, good few things there I'd not thought of. It's a case of lots of little expensive things then.
As mentioned I think it would be more practical to fit a tow bar and hook up a bike transporter with wheels, something like the 'easylifter' that the bike goes on transversely and is easy to manouve with.
There's no rush yet anyway, I'm just in the thinking about it phase :smile:

·
Registered
840 Posts
As mentioned I think it would be more practical to fit a tow bar and hook up a bike transporter with wheels, something like the 'easylifter' that the bike goes on transversely and is easy to manouve with.
You mean this ? Easy-Lifter Hydra Trail - Tel: 01509 268400 - £1195.00 Inc VAT it's certainly interesting. :smile:

How big a Motorhome?. Also - ask if they can give you FULL SIZE wheels. Those look like 10" - no so great :sad:

With my previous bike (Rocket-III) I was looking at one of these - because it's twice the weight of a 790. https://www.ibericaderemolques.com/2012/remolques/remolques-motos-ikram.html

Still might get one - but because I am old, weak and basically lazy. Comes with 13" - but they will fit larger if asked. If you are going to tow a lot - big wheels means lower bearing wear.

Either option half the price of a set of CF wheels.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Lithium Battery : - 2kg Batterie Skyrich Lithium HJTX14H-FP 90€

Short Slip on : -2,6 kg 220€ Ixrace Mk2

Decat : -3 kg 190€ (arrow, Mivv...)

Use one aluminium Bar end miror and remove mirors and the 2 bar end: - 0.8kg 40€ from alibaba ^^

Remove tool kit : -1kg (not sure) 0€

Front Rotor : Galfer wave 300mm : -3kg 420€ Ktm PP

Short aluminium tail tidy : 0,5kg 50€ ebay

Rear foot peg removal : -0,8kg 20€ for the new aluminium exhaust support
Lighter Tires : 1,5 Kg 250€

Passager Grab Tail : more than 0,5 kg 0€
Aluminium Fuel tank cap : 0,5kg 150€
passenger seat swapped for Powerparts cover: ??

Very nice project but not really an option IMO :

Carbon Parts : Wheels : -5 Kg 4000€

Carbon Parts : All Body parts -2 1500€ :crying:
There's some significant savings to be had, looking at your top list, for not too much cash. Tires are a no brainer, when you change anyway.

The exhaust system is heavy. The 3kg from the front rotors is very meaningful.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There's some significant savings to be had, looking at your top list, for not too much cash. Tires are a no brainer, when you change anyway.

The exhaust system is heavy. The 3kg from the front rotors is very meaningful.

It's not always easy to find the weight of tires...

My next change will probably be the brake rotor and pads; It's lighter, more efficient and so beautiful :smile:

Did I say something stupid, the 2 front rotors gives a gain of 1,5 kg ,I had noticed it in a corner and I doubled it by mistake ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts