KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Redline Water Wetter on my last several bikes. It's amazing stuff.

Conventional coolant is great for corrosion protection and freeze protection but is not the best for transfer of heat.

Water wetter works by breaking down the surface tension of water which provides the following benefits:
  • Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20掳
  • Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
  • Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
  • Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
Last week I drained the factory coolant and replaced with the following brew.

Redline Water Wetter at the recommended amount, 15% Zerex Asian Coolant, and the rest distilled water. I mixed up 2 quarts which was more than enough. Don't forget to empty and refill the overflow tank. I used Zerex because it is red just like the water wetter. Other color coolants when mixed with Redline will produce a funny looking color so best to go with red.

Right away I saw a difference on startup to normal operating temp. After starting the bike I usually let it idle for about 5 or 6 minutes while I finish suiting up for the ride. Prior to water wetter the temp gauge would indicate 3 or 4 bars before I launch. After the change it only heats to 3 bars then takes about 10 miles of riding at freeway speeds before the 4th bar shows up. Air temps have been in the 70 to 80 degree range.

Guess one could say that I am now a cool cat with the Redline change...well actually it's the bike that is cool. ;)

Attachments

Registered
I've used water wetter in a lot of vehicles. It is amazing stuff. I noticed it the most on vehicles that had marginal cooling capacity or when I was riding a lot more in stop and go traffic with less airflow naturally. I noticed the fan cycled less frequently after I put water wetter in. It was even more useful on my watercooled 2 stroke bikes.

Registered
So far I have not done the 790. I did however use DEI Radiator Relief for the Rocket. Was recommended to use it over Water Wetter in the R-III by a tuner who was running tests. Never regretted it. Dropped the highway running temps. The only thing I found is that the airwash from the radiator seems warmer. The radiator is ditching heat faster.

The same guy btw warned me well away from the Evans water-less coolant. It has it's place. But it's not in modern road bikes.

MotoGP Moderator
I used it in all bikes I tracked and in a few I didn't. So far, did not put it in the Duke, although I thought about it.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

Registered
I dont use coolant additives or alternatives on my street bikes.The OEM sytem is perfectly capable of keeping the operating temps in spec even on the hottest summer days in stop and go traffic.

On my dirt bike w/o a rad fan, different story. I have enging ice in my WR to keep the water component in the coolant from turning to vapor and boiling over on hot days in trail bottlenecks or grinding out slow sections.

As I understand, water wetter is just a surficant which reduces surface tension. The beneift is really just in the temp range of your coolant would otherwise start to have bubbles form on the metal surface. A surficant, which polyprop glycol is too, inhibits those bubbles from forming in that range of temps. It will not raise the boiling point of your coolant so if the temps keep rising, you'll still boil over.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #6
Dirt bikes certainly do put a cooling system to the test.

Registered
WW great product, used years ago with water for track days; however WW by itself with just water is not freeze proof and as you did requires coolant to prevent freezing. Myself I prefer 100% Engine Ice in 790, which is freeze proof and track safe.

MotoGP Moderator
...however WW by itself with just water is not freeze proof and as you did requires coolant to prevent freezing.
Never rode/stored my bike where it can reach freezing conditions. Not an issue for areas with warmer temps.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #9
WW great product, used years ago with water for track days; however WW by itself with just water is not freeze proof and as you did requires coolant to prevent freezing. Myself I prefer 100% Engine Ice in 790, which is freeze proof and track safe.
The instructions on the bottle say to use a minimum of 15% antifreeze when mixing the brew. I mixed mine with a red colored coolant so it would remain red when mixing with the red water wetter. Using another colored coolant turns the color to something resembling a mud puddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts