KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test driven the 790, and loved it, but wasn't a fan of the brakes. I'm really tempted to get the 890 since it seems to improve on everything, but the 790 is like $7.5k right now and the 890 is $11.7k (plus the $750 tech package which is included in the 790 already).
While the 790 may have less depreciation since it's being sold closer to its used value, the 890 might also be more popular long term. I plan to do a lot of canyon carving, long distance, commuting, and probably track day once or twice a year.

Opinions on which to get by people who have tried both?

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
201 Posts
The price difference is substantial.
Replace the stock pads on the 790 with EBC HH pads for a big improvement. If the suspension suits your weight and riding style the 790 is fantastic value. Also a 15 tooth front sprocket will improve acceleration practically to 890 levels (at the expense of top end speed).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I swapped the brake pads for Brembos on the advice of my local dealer. Brilliant. What a difference. The 890 wasn't worth an extra £3,000 for the use I'd give it. No track days for me and the 790 is plenty quick enough on our lanes.

Try them both. See which you prefer. Then consider what you can do with the extra cash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is how I justify the 790

I took advantage of the savings and went with a 790. That being said, there weren't any 890s available at the time, so the decision wasn't as difficult.

I use this primarily for track days and I outweigh the suspension sweet spot, so it's a bit of a whombly, wallowy pogo in stock trim. But, the chassis itself is stable and flickable. The motor great. All-in-all an 85% bike.

As I looked at it, expense on things like exhaust and larger brake master would have applied to both bikes. I like the 1-finger feel of a 19mm Brembo pump and the sound of an open exhaust - woulda done them either way, that's a wash.

I ordered Andreani fork inserts and a Nitron N1 shock to solve the 790 suspension challenge - reasonable cost and great reviews.

I'm 99% going to replace the stock discs with the standard size floating Galfer discs & pads, as opposed to the 320mm upgrade - I can't imagine that I'd be able to tell the difference and brakes just slow you down anyway...

As I look at it, I saved a bunch on the bike, and I'm in for about $1,700 in upgrades (that I wouldn't have done to an 890 anyway). I may not have parity with an 890, but it will be a great track day bike none the less.

A ton of fun for under $10,000

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buy once, cry once! There is a reason why the 790s are so cheap. Not a bad bike, just they have to be reduced to that price to match the value the market is pricing in the 890 vs the 790. If you buy the 790, leave it pretty much stock and I think it will be a better value it you can pick it up a super low price. Hell, I have an 890 and thought about picking up a 790 while they are so cheap. If you buy the 790 and start dumping coin in it, unless it is minor things, you are better off buying the 890 in the first place. Read the article by Evans.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
201 Posts
Here in NZ you can buy a 790 for $13500. The 890 is $19200 (without the quick shifter/blipper, track pack etc) so there is a considerable price difference. The other thing to consider here is that if you already own a 790 the trade in price will be even less making the trade up even more expensive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is a big difference. Also a substantial premium over the US price. LIkely due to increased shipping costs and how other countries love to levy import duties and taxes.

Trading in the 790 on an 890 would be an insane thing to do. I would hate to have bought the 790 last year and needed to sell it for any reason as I would have to price it so low based on the price of what someone can buy a new one, just to have a chance of selling it. I saw one used in Georgia about a month ago and they were asking $6500 US (9200 NZ). I was going to snatch it up for that price as it was practically brand new and had an Akra muffler. Unfortunately, someone beat me to it.

Maybe next year (2022) KTM will come out with a 950/990 version of this platform and I'll be in the same situation. It sucks for everyone who bought the 790 and it could be the same for me. I will say that I absolutely love my 890 and enjoy it far more than I thought I would. I am a big guy so with me on it, it probably accelerates like the 790 does with someone smaller on it so I can appreciate the owners that love their 790s. For me I just wanted more power and if I had invested the money in the 790 I couldn't easily get the power of the 890 and I wouldn't have a warranty.

·
Registered
KTM 790 Duke, Triumph (Speed Twin, Street Triple RS, Street Triple R), Suzuki GSX-R 600, Honda NSR
6 Posts
In Spain 790 is 9000 euros with offers, 890 is 12500 euros (plus about 1500 in extras included in 790), nearly 5000 euros more.
In my opinion (I had a Street triple RS so I really love the 890 and understand everyone that bought it) the only reason to buy a 890 with the price difference, is if your prime idea are track days, because in the end will expend a lot of money improving the 790.
The 790 is a very good bike and can improve a lot with galfer discs and maybe better suspension, thats near 2000 euros, now you have a "very very" near 890 for city and curved roads and still 3000 euros in your pocket.
But in the end, buy the one your heart tells, because not 790 neither 890 are "mind" bikes (buy a Tmax and drive like in your sofa) and you will enjoy both of them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is a reason why the 790s are so cheap.
KTM does faily aggressive incentives on their left-over street models pretty regularly. I bought a 2017 1090R in Feb of 2018 with the same discount I got on the 790; 2K incentive & no freight charge.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It doesn't "suck for everyone who bought the 790". It doesn't "suck" at all. The 790 is simply the better bike for me. I could have easily afforded the 890 or even the 1290, which I tried at my local dealer. I preferred the 790. I have changed a few things. End can and brake pads so far, with other things to follow, maybe. Tyres will be next, being a wear and tear item, and the new ones will be softer and stickier. I'm not really interested in tyre life, just good grip.

My 790 is a keeper for at least a few years. I rarely buy new or change bikes, so depreciation isn't a factor either. By the time I change it the bike market will have changed a lot, making the fact that mine is a "lesser" bike in some eyes irrelevant. By then it will be 5+ years old with 20,000 miles on it and I will be able to sell it with all the original parts as well as the Akra etc I've fitted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am glad it doesn't suck for you. At some time, when you go to sell your bike, even if you keep it long term, it will still be there. My point was if you bought it at the high water mark for price of the 790 (i.e. before the 890 was released) then KTM and the dealers vastly accelerated your depreciation. It isn't about what you could afford, it still hits you at some point. Unforeseen things can happen.

A very realistic hypothetical is your something happens to your bike such as theft, collision, etc. and you need the insurance to pay out. They typically aren't going to reimburse you based on what you paid, but on what the bike is worth at the time of the loss. Many people have loans and in this instance, they could instantly be in a negative equity situation where the bike is worth less than what is owed on it, so when the insurance company pays off the loan, they may still owe thousands in a situation like what has happened with the 790. So even if for that guy who plans to keep the bike "forever", it can still be an issue unless they had a very healthy downpayment or paid cash. I prefer the latter unless there are some amazing finance deals and I can leverage OPM to reduce my costs.

As for 790 vs 1290, we are in agreement there, or at least close. I bought the 890 over the 1290. I thought it was a better bike then and more seat time has only reinforced that decision. Enjoy your 790, may it be a long and happy relationship.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought after KTM had reduced the UK price by £1,500. I paid £7,499 on the road price. My dealer, Fowlers of Bristol, has looked after me for many years now. All extras bought at the time of purchasing the bike are cost price and free fitting, including the Akrapovic end can.

If, and it's a big if, I have a prang and it gets written off, it's only a bike. It's replaceable. Yes, it will cost me money, but it costs me every time I buy a bike. It's only money and I can't take it with me. My last accident was in 1982. There have been a lot of bikes and a lot of miles since then. It might happen. It might not. If I worried about it, I'd never ride.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
I bought after KTM had reduced the UK price by £1,500. I paid £7,499 on the road price.
Similar for me too. I got a "new-old-stock" 2019-built bike for £7150 on the road, but registered brand-new on an '20' plate. I particularly wanted a sombre colour scheme, to avoid the need for cleaning orange wheels after every ride. I also prefer the easier leg-room and more upright stance of the 790 compared to the sportier 890. Each to their own. "You pays your money" ...... etc

·
Registered
264 Posts
Isn't it amazing the pleasure certain individuals get from thinking others have something lesser... rather sad really. The 790 has plenty if you can ride a bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love to ride and I don't care what I am on whether it is a motorscooter, my little teacup piston motorcycle or something more expensive. Price of the bike doesn't always equate to the enjoyment received. I buy what I like regardless of what other people think. But I am always willing to listen to their opinions about their bikes. While I liked the 790, when I rode it, I realized it would be underpowered for me and need an upgrade in suspension. Thoughtfully, KTM made those updates for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since I don't do track days, and it already came with the full electronics package, the 790 was a no brainier and I couldn't be happier. Immediately changed the tires, mirrors and put an IXRACE can on the back and it's been the perfect bike for me so far.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I love to ride and I don't care what I am on whether it is a motorscooter, my little teacup piston motorcycle or something more expensive. Price of the bike doesn't always equate to the enjoyment received. I buy what I like regardless of what other people think. But I am always willing to listen to their opinions about their bikes. While I liked the 790, when I rode it, I realized it would be underpowered for me and need an upgrade in suspension. Thoughtfully, KTM made those updates for me.
That's fine. I just don't see how anyone can call a 100bhp bike or thereabouts underpowered. Virtually stock 600cc Jap bikes are lapping the isle of man at just under 130mph, how is that not enough. I'm sure the 890 is a better bike but I'm happy with the 790 and won't be selling it for a few years. Happy riding regardless of what you are on. I generally have most fun on my Velocette Venom...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also thought the 890 was overpriced compared to the 790 when I bought mine in the summer. I got an 18 month old one owner low mileage bike for £5000. There were no used 890's around as the UK had only just got them in. They were £11k with the QS enabled, more than double the price of my 790.
I got my fingers burned the year before when I bought the 790 Adventure as soon as it came out. No discounts available, cost £12k with luggage, cruise, etc. I got tired of the constant problems so part exd it in May. After a year and 8000 miles I got £6500 for it. I'm never buying a new KTM again - they have a habit of slashing the RRP after a year or so, thereby marking down what your bike is worth on the secondhand market.

I've put EBC pads in and picked up a cheap Remus end can and couldn't be happier. 5 grand well spent, I'd say.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.