KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me? Is anyone else choosing to turn the quickshifter off?

I just have so much muscle memory for doing my own clutchless up shifts, and doing my own clutching and blipping for downshifts; I've just not been able to get along with the quickshifter. Many many hours spent on racetracks, riding older 600s. I reversed the shift pattern because I'm so accustomed to that, but I still can't get 'at one' with the quickshifter, so I've turned it off. All my riding is on the street now, at a much slower pace. Maybe at track speeds I would grow to like the quickshifter?

Anyone else feel like this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My daily commutes are also in town and I do not use enough at low speed.
I leave it activated because it is still practical when you ride like a pig because in some corner I hold the bike better without touching the clutch when passing the top gear

·
Registered
98 Posts
In the very early days I tried with and without... now I would not ever consider not using it.
I will miss it on the RC390 :(

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I have it activated but, truth be told, using the clutch for most shifts. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
839 Posts
As somebody who has never even tried clutchless shifts - it's all new to me. I find I get the downshift right almost always. Upshifting seems to work best in Sport mode and not at full chat. I find myself doing with and without.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I never had a quickshifter before, but have grown quite comfy using mine. On my bike for some reason the quickshift from 5-6 is clunky, so I tend not to use it then. I also noticed, like others, that upshifting is smooth only when on the gas. Downshifting has rarely caused my issues, even dropping down to 1st.

I have a buddy with a Kawasaki H2 whose never used quickshift because he fears it can wear out the transmission over the long run. IDK, maybe? But you'd think that they tested long-term QS use at the factory during stress testing.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Mine is always activated, but honestly I rarely use it. I ONLY use it when I am balling off the line at a light, or hitting the back roads and want to get up to speed fast. I rarely rarely use it on the down shift. Like others have said, I am so used to clutching (and honestly feel like I have better control when doing so) that I don't even think about the QS. It is nice to have when I do want it though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I never had a quickshifter before, but have grown quite comfy using mine. On my bike for some reason the quickshift from 5-6 is clunky, so I tend not to use it then. I also noticed, like others, that upshifting is smooth only when on the gas. Downshifting has rarely caused my issues, even dropping down to 1st.

I have a buddy with a Kawasaki H2 whose never used quickshift because he fears it can wear out the transmission over the long run. IDK, maybe? But you'd think that they tested long-term QS use at the factory during stress testing.
When quickshifters were fairly new And Ducati gearboxes were made of cheese they always blamed the quickshifter to get out of warranty claims.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
When quickshifters were fairly new And Ducati gearboxes were made of cheese they always blamed the quickshifter to get out of warranty claims.

And that is a garbage cop out! If the QS screwed up the transmission, then don't put a qs on there!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use my most all the time as long as above 4k. Running go shift and use blip downshift as well. Love it
Me too - though mine does work better once it's got a little heat in to the oil, so will often set off and use the clutch for the first couple of gear changes.

Mine works really well overall, think it's one of the things I like most about the bike.

I will still often use the clutch for that final down shift into first though - not sure if that's just muscle memory though but if somehow feels safer to me!

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
The slipper clutch is the Dog's Bollix.

And :nerd: it seems REKLUSE may now have a fully Auto Clutch for the 790. :devil:

I saw this the other day. Curious if anyone ever fit this or how it operates. Sounds like shifting may be a thing of the past!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I saw this the other day. Curious if anyone ever fit this or how it operates. Sounds like shifting may be a thing of the past!
A month ago I looked and the Auto part was not available - just the high torque plates. So it's very new. So much so it may actually not be on sale quite yet.

A mate in the UK has an MV that came with one from the factory. Basically it is a centrifugal engagement plate. So you would not need to clutch at traffic lights. Just rev and go!.

Rottweiler have them https://www.rottweilerperformance.com/rekluse-radiusx-auto-clutch-ktm-790-adventure-duke/ - USD730.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
That's crazy. I am not sure I like it. But then again, I have had smaller dirt bikes over the years that were clutchless. Maybe the tech is finally catching up.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looking at the Rekluse web - seems that my local KTM dealer (very much off-road) is one of the few Rekluse dealers in Spain too. I'll ask what they think. The old guy ( and boss ) is in his 70's and still rides MotoCross.

My gut says it may clash with things like launch control in track mode.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've ridden a number of 790's and the quickshifter on my bike was the worst of them all. So I had the dealer re-calibrate it and its really good now, and any gear or revs, up and down. So if you having problems with yours take it to the dealer and get it re-calibrated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As I'm old school I've never gelled with the QS, perhaps I expected too much, but I just don't think it works very well in 'normal' use. They say it 'auto blips' on downshifts, but I just don't feel (or hear) that it does, certainly nowhere near as good as doing it manually. You don't hear anywhere near a manual rev change when just kicking it down using the QS as you would so blipping the throttle manually.

The upshifts are also pretty jerky for me, and tbo seem just like an upshift on any recent gearbox on a bike while just snicking it up without using the clutch. I always get a pronounced lurch and it just doesn't seem anywhere near as smooth as manually shifting.

Perhaps as some folk are saying it's only of use if you're hammering the bike which isn't really going to happen much on the congested roads here.

Mind all that, I'm a bit of a snail so poss not using it as intended :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts