KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rode my bike home from the dealership service department after having a bent brake lever replaced. The new brake lever assembly worked fine and that issue was resolved.

Problem: On the way home, I realized the quickshifter(QS) wasn't working. The shift lever was firm when trying to clutchless shift. Clutch shifts worked fine.

How I discovered this: I always keep the QS on, but used the clutch for shifts when leaving the dealership and heading toward the highway. But when I tried to use the quickshifter for a 3rd to 4th upshift on the entrance ramp, the shift lever wouldn't budge. I assumed the service department turned off the QS for some reason and just continued home for about 20 miles. Once I was able to come to a stop, I tried turning the QS on, only to find it was already on. I proceeded to spend 5 minutes around city roads toggling the QS, changing ride modes, and varying the engine speed while attempting to gently but firmly shift with the QS. The shifter stood firm, and I could only shift with the clutch.

Likely cause: When I got home, I inspected the bike and noticed a disconnected microswitch exposed underneath the clutch lever. It looks like it's missing a receiver and there are two unoccupied threaded holes in the clutch lever that line up with two thru holes in the microswitch. Pics below.

Questions:
  1. What is this microswitch(?) supposed to fasten to.​
  2. Would this issue cause the symptoms I'm experiencing?​
  3. While I'm going to call the service department first thing tomorrow, should I avoid any riding behavior that relies on this microswitch to work?​
  4. Did the dealsership have to take this off to replace the rear brake lever? (I have no idea why they would)​
  5. They've been an excellent shop so far, but are there any less than savory reasons this would be taken off intentionally? Using it as a quick replacement part for another bike etc...​
Thanks you for taking the time to read this! Any help would be more than appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 5223 Here’s what mine looks like. Maybe that’ll help.
Maybe it’s just installed incorrectly?
That's exactly what I needed! Thank you!!! Looks like I'm just missing the two fasteners.

So strange that both are missing within one week of being at the shop, but oh well. I'll know exactly what to ask for tomorrow when I call.

This is listed as a "Lever switch" on the bill of materials. The switch and fasteners come as a complete assembly for ~$30. Item 19 on this exploded handle bar assembly. Looks like they used a generic switch model in the exploded view as this switch only has one plunger pin.

I'll verify if this is the source of my issues tomorrow and leave an update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Perfect timing! I realized I messed up my quickshifting system too, in the process of removing the handlebar pods to install a clip-on setup.

On my "Lever Switch" there is a little white nubbin (? plunger pin) which got sheared off. It's the little bit that sits inside the orange rubber collar.

Any idea if the Lever Switch you order will come with the associated wiring? I didn't see a simple way to pull apart the little black plastic box. Those tiny screws use an M1.27 hex head BTW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect timing! I realized I messed up my quickshifting system too, in the process of removing the handlebar pods to install a clip-on setup.

On my "Lever Switch" there is a little white nubbin (? plunger pin) which got sheared off. It's the little bit that sits inside the orange rubber collar.

Any idea if the Lever Switch you order will come with the associated wiring? I didn't see a simple way to pull apart the little black plastic box. Those tiny screws use an M1.27 hex head BTW.
Thanks for the screw size! Unfortunately I do not know what comes in the package for the switch. I visited my dealer yesterday and the service manager simply provided and installed the two fasteners they most likely misplaced.

On the KTMWorld link I provided on the original post, the switch looks as though it comes with the fasteners as well. Since it's about 30 bucks, I'd think it would come with a length of wiring.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
The clutch-less shifts are not happening with clutch lever pressed. This micro-switch is the systems indicator for a pressed clutch. When it is just hanging like this, the system thinks you are pressing the clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clutch-less shifts are not happening with clutch lever pressed. This micro-switch is the systems indicator for a pressed clutch. When it is just hanging like this, the system thinks you are pressing the clutch.
Thanks for details!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.