KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 790 into the shop for warranty-covered service. They spent about 5 hours fighting with the KTM diagnostic software to get the QS+ working as designed. Overall success for 99% of circumstances. (I also had an oil leak in the valve cover gasket that i'll post if anyone wants to see. No more issues so far - 100% perfect fix by the shop, but 3 hours spent on that, so 8 hours total on my bike, which is just absurd)

The question is, why do I miss shifts from 2nd to 3rd when WOT and traction control is screaming at me right after the shift to 2nd?

Is the TC/anti-wheelie software clashing with the QS+ software?

Spent a bit of time on the phone with the KTM greybeard they have on staff at the shop and he seems to think that the physical gear spacing is so narrow in the first 3 gears that it might not have been 100% in second when attempting to shift to 3rd, causing the mechanicals to clash and keep me in 2nd. He also seems to think that because I only have ~2700 miles on the bike it'll loosen up over time. He stated that the gears are ground in a way that they will pull together if they don't mate perfectly at first, but if you are WOT from gear to gear they won't have a chance to accomplish this.

I think the mechanical explanation makes more sense than my software reasoning.

Thoughts?

·
VIP member
408 Posts
My belief is that it is the lazy shift action caused by the weak spring on the roller arm on the shift star. That's why I installed the Factory Pro Shift Kit. I only have my experience to go by, though. I can understand why you might not want to have this installed since it will probably affect your warranty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is another thread discussing the QS you might want to check.
In my case 1->2 is too brutal for road riding, but like 2->3, 3->4 it never fails; 4->5 fails seldom, 5->6 fails often.

I found no relation with rev limiter or throttle opening, but it looks like the higher gears need a stronger input than the lower to shift properly.

·
VIP member
408 Posts
I find that with proper timing, the QS is smooth as silk on first to second shifts. Just shift when you feel the power flatten out in the midrange.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Man I must be doing something right cause I have yet to have an issue with my QS. I haven't been at WOT when shifting though, and typically will use QS when I am about 8-9000 rpms. It has always been smooth for me. I must admit though, I usually shift with the clutch vice the QS. For some reason I still feel like the clutch is the safest and cleanest way. I do like the QS when hitting throttle hard though.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
ND, I forgot to add my answer to your question! I agree, it sounds like it is more mechanical than electronic....but then again, who the heck am I?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've missed the 2nd to 3rd quickshift myself an handful of times during hard acceleration. I've come to the conclusion it was just me not being positive enough kicking the shifter up. I know sometimes if I'm lazy with the shift, the ignition will cut but it won't change up. By that time, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter.

I use the quickshifter for every shift except 1-2 when accelerating slow and it's pretty smooth most of the time.

I've had a regular dealership tech (their KTM specific tech wasn't there unfortunately) try calibrating the shift sensor after the first service and he couldn't get the diagnostic tool to go through the process. I was right there with him doing everything the program asked us to do and it kept kicking us back to the beginning of the test. I decided to quit before we messed something up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts