KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got around 3900 miles on my '20 790. I feel like the auto downshifts have become harsher as I put more miles on the bike. I remember thinking the blipper was OK when the bike was new. Not hugely impressive downshifts, but it worked well enough. The upshifts are smooth, and always have been.
Has anyone else experienced worsening downshifts using the blipper?

I contacted the dealer to get a price to check for updates and to perform a quickshifter relearn, but they never got back to me, so I said screw it. Now, I'm wondering if the relearn may really be needed? Anyone else here skip the dealership for the first service? If so, are your auto downshifts still smooth?

·
Registered
'20 890R
48 Posts
On my 890 downshifts where a little harsh at first, but have become smoother and smoother the more miles I've ridden. The first service also helped.

At what RPM are you downshifting? To low RPM results in harsh shifts

·
Banned
282 Posts
I've noticed it's smoother at higher RPM, for sure.
It's kind of inconsistent, though. Mostly it's OK but a bit harsh, but on rare occasions I'll push down on the shifter and nothing happens, even if I push pretty hard. If I release and push again, it'll work fine.
I guess I need to take it in for the shifter relearn. I just hope I'm not just being OCD and throwing money into the wind.

I really wish the calibration could be done without a reflash.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mine improved immensely after the first service where the technician spent some time recalibrating it according to the service guy on the desk I settled the bill with.

I think there's also some muscle memory to overcome and to just be positive with the foot movement.

I do gear changes naturally now - though I remember having to learn and to remind myself to NOT change the throttle position while shifting and let the bike deal with everything.

If there are changing forces on the drive-train (particularly the chain) due to abrupt throttle changes during the gear transition then it seems harder for the bike to transition smoothly.

I still sometimes use the clutch on some shifts, usually at low rpm going both up and down between 1st and 2nd - I think that's just a personal preference at low speeds and very small throttle openings - I think I can be smoother.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You need to keep the throttle in the same position during the quick change (up at least), otherwise it's a very harsh change. And be super positive with it. Down shifts coming up to corners after high revs are heaven.

Mine's had 1st service and coming up to 1000 miles now, I'm sure it's getting better not worse.

I tend to use mine when "pushing on" and still use the clutch at lower revs.

If yours isn't working smoothly at higher revs I'd definitely take it into the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
No change with mine. I'd say its very RPM related. Much better at higher rpm and WITHOUT closing the throttle (edit: for up-shifts).

For people used to clutch, like me, its very non-intuitive. Took me some time to get used to this. Needed to reprogram the wrist.

Reactions: Oldwisedude

·
Registered
2019 KTM Duke 790
21 Posts
Have a question for you guys, did your bike came with the auto shifter since new? after reading manual it sed that it's was supposed to come on after 600 miles,took bike for a warranty work, oil leak brand new, and the dealer told me that the bike should've had it since new, and i told him mine didn't do it, and he sed that they noticed that some bikes for some reason didn't come with it, but that they could unlock it for $300?, i'm thinking of calling Ktm and asking why they only turn it on on some bikes, anyone had this problem also, i purchased my bike in california,

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Mine was active/enabled at delivery
Mine was not. It was activated during the initial 600 mile service. According to the manual, it's a pert of the service.

Reactions: Lomely

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have a question for you guys, did your bike came with the auto shifter since new? after reading manual it sed that it's was supposed to come on after 600 miles,took bike for a warranty work, oil leak brand new, and the dealer told me that the bike should've had it since new, and i told him mine didn't do it, and he sed that they noticed that some bikes for some reason didn't come with it, but that they could unlock it for $300?, i'm thinking of calling Ktm and asking why they only turn it on on some bikes, anyone had this problem also, i purchased my bike in california,
790 or 890?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts