KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been pretty critical that my 790 is so notchy and touchy while riding slow around town. Low RPM shifting especially.

I can’t believe I hadn't tried earlier but it seems to better (not good, but better) if you turn off the QS. Maybe that low RPM kill time, even if you’re using the clutch, aggravates the touchiness.

Most aftermarket quickshifter’s have an ROM limit in the software

Worth a try if it annoys you as much as me. I live in a very residential area with 25mph streets and it drives me nuts how jerky it is at lower RPMs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting. I just got my Duke and knowing it had QS I have been using it on and off. Maybe I'll disable QS just to see how it shifts using the clutch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’ve been pretty critical that my 790 is so notchy and touchy while riding slow around town. Low RPM shifting especially.

I can’t believe I hadn't tried earlier but it seems to better (not good, but better) if you turn off the QS. Maybe that low RPM kill time, even if you’re using the clutch, aggravates the touchiness.

Most aftermarket quickshifter’s have an ROM limit in the software

Worth a try if it annoys you as much as me. I live in a very residential area with 25mph streets and it drives me nuts how jerky it is at lower RPMs
When you say low RPM what RPM are you shifting? The manual says you must be above 2000 RPM to use quickshifter

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't bother with the qs most of the time. 45 + years of using a clutch is a hard habit to break. When I do use it, it is always when I am having a more pacey ride and gear changing at higher revs. A quickshifter on a bimble is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To cure the snatcy low speed throttle response you need to purchase a rapid bike easy fuel dongle

·
Registered
2018 790 Duke Orange
5 Posts
I got the KTM workshop to reset the ECU and richen the mid register. Got a little better. I have no engine/exhaust mods on mine.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
516 Posts
This is my first bike with a QS. I tried it for a bit but don't care for the harshness.

One problem I would occasionally have would be an unwanted lurch during deceleration when I accidently bumped the shifter.

Being old school both literally and figuratively I decided to turn it off today. For now I'm sticking with the clutch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One thing I noticed w/ the Duke right off the bat, compared to my other RBW throttle bike, is that the throttle response is way more immediate in every mode (except maybe rain mode cause I barely use it on either bike). What initially seemed like a low rpm snatchy throttle had a lot to do w/ a lack of precision w/ my throttle hand.

On the street for up-shifts, I generally only use the QS at 3K RPM or above and make deliberate moves w/ my left foot. Hesitant stabs or preloading the shifter are no bueno.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
516 Posts
What initially seemed like a low rpm snatchy throttle had a lot to do w/ a lack of precision w/ my throttle hand.
Ah yes, throttle hand discipline rules the day. My FZ09 really taught me throttle precision as it was so snatchy off idle. Riding other bikes that guys complained about made me laugh. I would say "buddy you don't know what a snatchy throttle is like til you ride an early FZ09."

A man needs to tame that right hand cuz it can get you into all kinds of trouble. "What is that bright red light in my rear view mirrors?"

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the street for up-shifts, I generally only use the QS at 3K RPM or above and make deliberate moves w/ my left foot. Hesitant stabs or preloading the shifter are no bueno.
Advice from my dealer on first service, use the clutch for 1st and 2nd gears not the QS. I tend to do this naturally up to 3rd unless caning it, which with the QS is awesome :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Advice from my dealer on first service, use the clutch for 1st and 2nd gears not the QS. I tend to do this naturally up to 3rd unless caning it, which with the QS is awesome :cool:
I look at it like another tool in the toolbox; how you use it and how effective it is, is entirely as you like it.
This being my first bike w/ one took a little while to get over the decades of muscle memory of clutching and shifting but I really dig it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
never had a problem with mine low rpm high rpm low gear high gear always changes fine, this is my 1st bike with any kind of rider aids im old school brought up on 70's 2strokes mainly so this rider aid is more a novalty, the day i picked the bike up i asked the guy in the dealer to turn everything OFF so i can ride it as it was meant to be riden not gagged in and neutered ! but the 1 thing i do like is the QS Braap BANG Braaap BANG Braap BANG Braaap BANG etc etc etc love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my first bike with a QS. I tried it for a bit but don't care for the harshness.

One problem I would occasionally have would be an unwanted lurch during deceleration when I accidently bumped the shifter.

Being old school both literally and figuratively I decided to turn it off today. For now I'm sticking with the clutch.
Same. Of the 30 or so bikes I’ve had in the last many years, this is the first one with a quick shifter. I was kind of excited about it at first because I’d read and heard so much about it; however, I forgot that I’m not a squid 😄 nor even much of an accomplished rider :) but I am very old school. I turned mine off. I like the smoothness of changes that the clutch affords rather than the notchy “popping” into and out of gear. I guess a person can become much more skilled at using one to where it is a clear advantage over a clutch but I can’t ever see ME doing that or getting to that point with it. It just seems almost, gulp, wrong in feel to me, like I’m doing something wrong mechanically to the bike when using it. Again, this is not a criticism of the Duke nor its quick shifter, more just me being so old school about it.

As per the low speed throttle response I haven’t really noticed it much. Seems like nearly every FI bike I’ve ever driven and/or owned required some early learning curve with it. The most perfectly fueling bike I ever drove? LOL. My previous 950SM with carbs!

While I don’t have an issue with the low speed fueling, I do wish the engine would come on a little sooner in the rev range. I like that it’s calm and such for around town riding but occasionally it does feel like I have to really wick it up or nearly bounce the rev limiter to get the most out of it. But that’s just my 1cent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
got to agree with you on the 950SM, i put my 950SM in for this 790 and oh my do i miss the smothness and bottom end torque of the 950SM must be 1 of the best fueling bikes on the road or was it just that big V twin beast of a motor either way i do wish it was still in my garage.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
516 Posts
got to agree with you on the 950SM, i put my 950SM in for this 790 and oh my do i miss the smothness and bottom end torque of the 950SM must be 1 of the best fueling bikes on the road or was it just that big V twin beast of a motor either way i do wish it was still in my garage.
I had an 1190 Adventure. Fantastic motor and suspension but too tall and hot. Then after a couple of years I forgot about too tall and bought an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Another great bike and suspension but....TOO TALL. I just sold it last week.

Now I am in heaven with the 790 as I can flat foot it anywhere and not worry about falling over every time I stop. And that little 75 degree crank motor is pretty sweet too. Not a V-twin but comes pretty close to imitating one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an 1190 Adventure. Fantastic motor and suspension but too tall and hot. Then after a couple of years I forgot about too tall and bought an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Another great bike and suspension but....TOO TALL. I just sold it last week.

Now I am in heaven with the 790 as I can flat foot it anywhere and not worry about falling over every time I stop. And that little 75 degree crank motor is pretty sweet too. Not a V-twin but comes pretty close to imitating one.
I think maybe because I grew up riding motocross bikes, upright and all bikes feel more naural to me in general and I enjoy being seen and seeing more but I did actually just selk an 1190 to get this 790. It was a smart move for me and the kind of riding I most enjoy. This being said, the 950SM was the BEST do it all road motorcycle I’ve ever owned among the 30 or so bikes I’ve had. It will take some time and miles for ANYTHING to move it from that spot; however, the 790 is off to a very good start and it is proving to be a super motorcycle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The main reason i went for the 790 was the seat height and weight, the 950sm was heavy ish and i dropped it 4-5 times while trying to paddle it around on tippy toes and it got to the point where every time i was coming to a stop i thought here we go ! and you just carnt go on like that as i use my bike every day if it was just a weekend toy i would proberly still have it saying that i do like this 790 very much and at 62 im sure this will be my last bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts