KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will not be as near as in depth as what @Blwnbyu has provided. But wanted to give some quick initial thoughts and findings so far - have roughly 250 miles on it. Picked it up this past Friday afternoon (4/17).
  • The bike is exactly what I was looking for in an upgrade. I took my time and did a ton of research, and I couldn't be happier. For reference - I'm 6'3", 175lbs and this bike fits me perfectly. The features and build quality are fantastic. I was a little worried about the plastic around the tank - I saw a 790 that I wasn't too impressed by, but the 890 doesn't have the same "fitment" issue I saw on the 790's plastic. The fuel mapping and clutch feel are superb. The brakes once bedded in are fantastic. I'm running it setup with a short and hard bite vs the soft and progressive that's available. I had forgotten about the slipper clutch in first - took me about 100 miles before I realized/remembered what was going on there.
  • The suspension is nothing short of phenomenal. Probably one of my biggest pluses with this bike. I have made no changes from the stock setup. It's hard to describe. Like a compliant/firm feel, but planted. Over different types of road - not jarring, just smooth and stuck to the ground. And this thing wants to turn. Just think about flicking it, moving it side to side in the lane and it's going. I've had a chance to run it through a few turns here in mountainous :rolleyes: NW FL...it's very confidence inspiring and extremely enjoyable to say the least. I've never felt this comfortable on a bike before.
  • The motor is interesting. I'm very anxious to get through break-in and do the first oil change. It's obviously very powerful. I've been staying within the guidelines. No WOT, and I've only gone close to the 6,500 RPM on 3-4 occasions. I've dabbled in 'sport' mode - it's definitely more responsive than street, but nothing crazy. It has tons of torque throughout a wide range, and as blwnbyu stated, it gets to 100 quick. It's also pretty darn hot if you sit at a stoplight for long. Not overheating hot - just the heat coming off of it is impressive. Definitely feel it on the legs if you sit for a bit. I don't have the quick shifter, so I'm still adjusting to the shifting a bit. After shifting a gear and rolling into the next decently hard there is a small pause before getting moving. That could be because I'm shifting in lower (relatively - around 4-5k) RPMs and rolling on it hard after the shift.
I say it's interesting for a couple of reasons. 1) there's a little bit of "surging" at lower speeds/RPMs. At first I thought it might be the suspension going over uneven roads, and I guess it could still be - but I think it's just a little bit of "unsmoothness" at the lower RPMs. 2) I'm getting a little bit of leakage. I've attached a photo with red arrows. I can't tell if it's oil, or heated chain lube/grease. I've done 2 long rides with it. After the first I looked underneath and saw a good bit of oil and chunky gunk around the area of the thick red arrow. About 30 minutes later I came out and noticed what looked like a little bit of oil around the other red arrows. You can still kind of see an oil sheen around the upper/thinner arrow. I know the lower 2 arrows are under the oil screens, but those 2 points are also the lowest and most rounded spots on the bottom of that area - which could be why there's a little spot/drip?? After the 2nd long ride, there was not the chunky gunk, but a little bit of oily residue around the areas. About 30 minutes later I came back out and there was a small chunk of oily gunk on the ground. So what I'm not sure of is this - the chain is really well greased up. Is it just super heated chain lube that's dripping out the front of the chain guard, or is it oil leaking from where the top of the engine mates with the bottom of the engine? I'll be continuing to watch it through break in. Rode about 30 miles yesterday and it wasn't near as much, just a little bit of oil residue around those areas and nothing dripped after shutdown.
- I've ordered a few things for it. The Evotech radiator guard that some online vendors are saying fits both the 790 and 890 DOES NOT FIT both. I'm waiting to hear back from Rottweiler how it will be handled as I had it put together and ready to be mounted before I realized there was an issue. I'm probably going to order the Evotech tail tidy as I like the enclosed wiring, but will need to purchase the adapters for the US plate. I've placed an order for an Austin Racing V3 exhaust. The 890 is way quiet after coming from a Graves unit on my Yamaha. I will report back on my impressions once it comes in.

I think that's it for now. I absolutely love the bike, but am being a little hesitant with what I'm seeing with the leakage. I guess seeing some of the 790 issues has me just a tad concerned. Will keep this updated with what I find, after break-in, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Both my 790 and 890 are COVERED in grease/oil under the front sprocket. Both appear to be from the chain from what i can tell. Cleaned everything up and will continue to watch it. Keep an eye on chain tension. Mine stretched ALOT

·
Registered
110 Posts
As @Blwnbyu said, the stock chain comes with this thick grease so it drips down when it mounts. I thought I had the countershaft seal issue but it was just the grease from the chain

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
435 Posts
I write that into EVERY new bike purchase agreement - "Service dept will install my choice of tires at no charge during PDI and also clean shipping grease off chain and re-lube".

Yes, they hate me LOLOL...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the review! I concur with the other posters here regarding the chain lube/grease issue. I had the same experience over the first 200 miles or so. Whatever they use on the chain from the factory gets pretty thin when it heats up and seems to drip down under that counter sprocket cover. I noticed the exact same thing and thought maybe there was some oil seepage, but I cleaned it off twice in the first 200 miles, and now at over 400 miles it hasn't come back. Once I get into the regular cycle of using quality chain lube I don't think it will be back.

Regarding the engine, it really is phenomenal. I kept to the 6.5k limit for the first 300 miles or so and really enjoyed riding that torque on corner exits, but the last time out this weekend I started opening it up and revving out to 9k or so. The bike is damn quick - quicker then I expected, and I'm not a stranger to fast bikes. It feels so small and light that it sort of lulls you into thinking it's a toy or something, but it definitely is not! Can't wait to get more time on it and hopefully get it to the track soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
[/ CITAR]
Siento comunicarte que es un problema común de ktm, es defecto de un retén, te lo reparan por garantía sin problemas. Saludos! [/ CITA]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sorry to inform you that it is a common ktm problem, it is a defect of a retainer, they repair it for guarantee without problems. Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This will not be as near as in depth as what @Blwnbyu has provided. But wanted to give some quick initial thoughts and findings so far - have roughly 250 miles on it. Picked it up this past Friday afternoon (4/17).
  • The bike is exactly what I was looking for in an upgrade. I took my time and did a ton of research, and I couldn't be happier. For reference - I'm 6'3", 175lbs and this bike fits me perfectly. The features and build quality are fantastic. I was a little worried about the plastic around the tank - I saw a 790 that I wasn't too impressed by, but the 890 doesn't have the same "fitment" issue I saw on the 790's plastic. The fuel mapping and clutch feel are superb. The brakes once bedded in are fantastic. I'm running it setup with a short and hard bite vs the soft and progressive that's available. I had forgotten about the slipper clutch in first - took me about 100 miles before I realized/remembered what was going on there.
  • The suspension is nothing short of phenomenal. Probably one of my biggest pluses with this bike. I have made no changes from the stock setup. It's hard to describe. Like a compliant/firm feel, but planted. Over different types of road - not jarring, just smooth and stuck to the ground. And this thing wants to turn. Just think about flicking it, moving it side to side in the lane and it's going. I've had a chance to run it through a few turns here in mountainous :rolleyes: NW FL...it's very confidence inspiring and extremely enjoyable to say the least. I've never felt this comfortable on a bike before.
  • The motor is interesting. I'm very anxious to get through break-in and do the first oil change. It's obviously very powerful. I've been staying within the guidelines. No WOT, and I've only gone close to the 6,500 RPM on 3-4 occasions. I've dabbled in 'sport' mode - it's definitely more responsive than street, but nothing crazy. It has tons of torque throughout a wide range, and as blwnbyu stated, it gets to 100 quick. It's also pretty darn hot if you sit at a stoplight for long. Not overheating hot - just the heat coming off of it is impressive. Definitely feel it on the legs if you sit for a bit. I don't have the quick shifter, so I'm still adjusting to the shifting a bit. After shifting a gear and rolling into the next decently hard there is a small pause before getting moving. That could be because I'm shifting in lower (relatively - around 4-5k) RPMs and rolling on it hard after the shift.
I say it's interesting for a couple of reasons. 1) there's a little bit of "surging" at lower speeds/RPMs. At first I thought it might be the suspension going over uneven roads, and I guess it could still be - but I think it's just a little bit of "unsmoothness" at the lower RPMs. 2) I'm getting a little bit of leakage. I've attached a photo with red arrows. I can't tell if it's oil, or heated chain lube/grease. I've done 2 long rides with it. After the first I looked underneath and saw a good bit of oil and chunky gunk around the area of the thick red arrow. About 30 minutes later I came out and noticed what looked like a little bit of oil around the other red arrows. You can still kind of see an oil sheen around the upper/thinner arrow. I know the lower 2 arrows are under the oil screens, but those 2 points are also the lowest and most rounded spots on the bottom of that area - which could be why there's a little spot/drip?? After the 2nd long ride, there was not the chunky gunk, but a little bit of oily residue around the areas. About 30 minutes later I came back out and there was a small chunk of oily gunk on the ground. So what I'm not sure of is this - the chain is really well greased up. Is it just super heated chain lube that's dripping out the front of the chain guard, or is it oil leaking from where the top of the engine mates with the bottom of the engine? I'll be continuing to watch it through break in. Rode about 30 miles yesterday and it wasn't near as much, just a little bit of oil residue around those areas and nothing dripped after shutdown.
- I've ordered a few things for it. The Evotech radiator guard that some online vendors are saying fits both the 790 and 890 DOES NOT FIT both. I'm waiting to hear back from Rottweiler how it will be handled as I had it put together and ready to be mounted before I realized there was an issue. I'm probably going to order the Evotech tail tidy as I like the enclosed wiring, but will need to purchase the adapters for the US plate. I've placed an order for an Austin Racing V3 exhaust. The 890 is way quiet after coming from a Graves unit on my Yamaha. I will report back on my impressions once it comes in.

I think that's it for now. I absolutely love the bike, but am being a little hesitant with what I'm seeing with the leakage. I guess seeing some of the 790 issues has me just a tad concerned. Will keep this updated with what I find, after break-in, etc. View attachment 4283 View attachment 4284
I am sorry to inform you that it is a common ktm problem, it is a defect of a retainer, they repair it for guarantee without problems. Cheers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you elaborate on this "retainer"? I haven't heard about this...

·
Registered
11 Posts
The same happens to me, if you remove the front sprocket you will see the leak, it is repaired by guarantee without problems, I am waiting for the replacement to arrive at the workshop

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update on this issue: Put about 100 hard miles on the 890 today. Before I went out I cleaned and degreased the area of the engine below the counter-sprocket and along the bottom of the case around the oil drain bolts and filter cover. When I came in there was fresh oil in that same area under the sprocket and down along the bottom of the case. Not enough to even form a drip, but it was there so I'm starting to think that it may be leaking from around the seal after all. I'm about ready for the break in service anyway, so will point it out when it goes in to the dealer in a week or two. I'll post up the final result...

On the plus side, I spent most of the ride in track mode and let it hang out a bit. Oh yeah, this thing is a blast! I keep finding myself turning in too early on my favorite curves! It scrubs off speed and drops in so quick that I can go deeper than with any of my other bikes. It's fun to work on those adjustments. Sucker really launches on exits too - the track mapping and throttle response really gives it more of that "ready to race" character. I think KTM got it right with this one!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you had track mode since mile 1? Did you get track mode separate or with the techpack?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the first 100 miles on my 890 yesterday. Big difference from the 790. There are 3 suggested setting for the suspension. I set it on Sport. I'm 155 pounds. Way too stiff. I backed off the front 5 clicks and it felt much better and awesome. Turns out this is pretty close to Standard setting, so I reset everting to Standard setting. It is stiffer than the 790 when you push down on the forks, but it feels planted. I thought that I was taking it easy and saw that my tires had no chicken strips at my first stop. Brakes are great. You can definitely go into corners deeper. Seating position is a little different. Seat is 1/2" higher, footpegs are 1.4" higher, the handlebars are the same height. My legs are bent a little more at the knees because of the higher footpegs. At my height of 5"9" it is not a problem. May be an issue for those much taller. Have not gone over 6,500 rpm, but the motor feels strong. More low end torque at low rpm than 790. Pulls at low rpm in 4th and 5th gear. Can't wait to get into higher rpm after break in. I think the low speed "surging" has been improved from the 790. I have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway and I have to put the 790 in rain mode to go down the driveway. Don't really need to do it on the 890. Significant upgrade from the 790.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you had track mode since mile 1? Did you get track mode separate or with the techpack?
I had them install the software for track mode and the quick shifter before I picked her up. I believe they installed each of those separately because I don't have MSR. If I had known about the Tech Pack at the time I would have asked them just to install that, but I didn't. I'm planning on having them add the MSR software when the bike is in for the break in service. Those are the three features that come with the Tech Pack, correct? Anything else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had them install the software for track mode and the quick shifter before I picked her up. I believe they installed each of those separately because I don't have MSR. If I had known about the Tech Pack at the time I would have asked them just to install that, but I didn't. I'm planning on having them add the MSR software when the bike is in for the break in service. Those are the three features that come with the Tech Pack, correct? Anything else?
Yes, the Tech Pack include the quickshifter, the Track mode and the MSR.

KTM - READY TO RACE

The TECH PACK includes all software features which are available for the 890 Duke R:
  • TRACK PACK
  • QUICKSHIFTER+
  • MSR

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have to let us know what you find out. Sounds like the exact same thing I'm experiencing. Dealer said to clean it and monitor. I'll probably thoroughly clean the chain/sprocket area once I get to the break-in oil change and then see what happens. Unfortunately work has popped up pretty hard and I'm not going to get the last half of my break-in done this weekend...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts