KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I picked up the Duke, I already had a 1090 and a plated WR450F.

With no long distance trips on the horizon and the other two bikes taking over street and dirt duties, I decided to move the 1090 on and recently sold it to a guy looking to get back into motorcycles and do some BDR riding.

...now I’m thinking about making the WR more dual sport oriented and picking up a 2 stroke

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
76 Posts
Ditto at 73, but with damaged back and slight arthritis in both hands. I still play keyboards in a Soul/Motown seven piece band - or did before this coronavirus lockdown decimated the entertainment industry. I started gigging in 1963 and five of us from the original band are still together. Live stage work is mentally stimulating, an adrenaline rush and involves very fast multitasking, like motorcycling. 🎼🎹🎤🏍 Think young!

Reactions: Geoff

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
63 Posts
Same for me at 73, but knees, not back! I've got a couple of fall-back interests to keep me sane, but nothing can replace the passion of riding, which I've done since 16 years of age. It's been darned good for mental health :D
Amen brother on the mental health. I started riding when I was about 8 when I got a mini bike and the love affair has never ended.

I also have some severely busted up feet and ankles from an accident when I was in my 20's. Walking can be very painful at times and my number of steps each day are limited. If I exceed my limit I really pay the price but... when I am on the bike all my disabilities disappear and I feel like an 18 year old once again. It's real therapy for sure.

I often tell people that there is an 18 year old hooligan trapped inside this 67 year old carcus.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
63 Posts
When I picked up the Duke, I already had a 1090 and a plated WR450F.

...now I’m thinking about making the WR more dual sport oriented and picking up a 2 stroke
Hey I too had a plated WR 450. Mine was a 2007 and I did the conversion myself. The problem is living in Communist California makes it real hard to get a plate, but I have an ace in the hole. I got shot down in town so I loaded the WR in my truck and drove an hour to an out of the way berg, Coalinga, and spent an hour at their DMV and walked out with a plate. That bike instantly went up $1000 in value.

Love 2 strokes. I grew up riding 2 strokes. If I was younger and still riding dirt I would get one of the new KTM 300's. Smoking awesome bikes.
IMG_4062.JPG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey I too had a plated WR 450. Mine was a 2007 and I did the conversion myself. The problem is living in Communist California makes it real hard to get a plate, but I have an ace in the hole. I got shot down in town so I loaded the WR in my truck and drove an hour to an out of the way berg, Coalinga, and spent an hour at their DMV and walked out with a plate. That bike instantly went up $1000 in value.

Love 2 strokes. I grew up riding 2 strokes. If I was younger and still riding dirt I would get one of the new KTM 300's. Smoking awesome bikes. View attachment 5746
It's near impossible to get a plate in Oregon for bike that wasn't sold street legal from the factory these days. Any conversion w/ a plate comes with a nice big bump in price....especially with how scarce used dirt bikes are these days. I grabbed my '04 already w/ the plate right before they started hamming down and I could sell it today for more than I paid.

I just need to convince myself it's OK to drop the bucks for one of those new TPI bikes. We'll see what the market look like come Feb.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts