KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instructions say remove the 'retaining clip', how do you do this? Is it just a case of prising the bottom one out with a small screwdriver or similar, or is there a particular method?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Instructions say remove the 'retaining clip', how do you do this? Is it just a case of prising the bottom one out with a small screwdriver or similar, or is there a particular method?
I just put these in last night. What a royal pain in the ass. I couldn't get the retaining clip out with the footrest brackets and silencer on the bike, so I had to remove the silencer, remove both brackets, then the retaining clips were easily accessible. But the fun didn't stop there. The bolt is pressed in firmly, so I had to put it on a vice to get the bolts out.

If you can get these things on without removing anything you deserve an award.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****, thought that might be the case!! Whoever provides these 'instructions' needs to have their balls put in a vice! :devil: Dont think I'll bother then tbo, it should be a 5 min job, not a lesson in poor engineering! :mad:

I just put these in last night. What a royal pain in the ass. I couldn't get the retaining clip out with the footrest brackets and silencer on the bike, so I had to remove the silencer, remove both brackets, then the retaining clips were easily accessible. But the fun didn't stop there. The bolt is pressed in firmly, so I had to put it on a vice to get the bolts out.

If you can get these things on without removing anything you deserve an award.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Piece of cake. Small electricians screwdriver get the circlip off.
Parallel pin punch and small hammer to get the pin out.
Doubt it took me a minute each side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi barbagris, I noticed that there are two retaining clips, did you remove just the one to the rear of the bike or both? And which way did you drift out the pin, drifting from the front of the bike side or the rear of the bike side?

TIA

Piece of cake. Small electricians screwdriver get the circlip off.
Parallel pin punch and small hammer to get the pin out.
Doubt it took me a minute each side.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
From rear towards front. The pin is toughened so you will need a good drift punch,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm thinking then for whatever reason the 2019 bike has 2, even more pain! I wish they would update the fitting info, even online. I bought the R&G Rad Guard, and I was asked modified or non modified radiator, I was assuming (ass makes and u out of me and you) as I'd never modded my radiator that I was non modified, when they should really have said have you a 2018 or 2019 model year 790 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
BUMP

Anyone else fitted these on a 2019 model?
Not yet though I have them on order, they should arrive this week.

My bike is a 2019 (UK/EU) model too so will have same issues to resolve.

From memory mine has two retaining clips on each side - at least one of them (the one toward the front of the bike) looks like a captive washer. Not sure yet if I actually need to remove that yet - I can't remember the exact layout of the pegs.

The one toward the rear of the bike looks more like a stainless circlip so much easier to remove / put back.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You go first DMA, you sound to know what you're talking about unlike me :D
I've fitted these to my bike now - a '19 model - and think it's actually the same as the '18 model - there is only one circlip to remove.

It's hidden behind the pillion footpeg hanger toward the front of the bike - you can pop this off with a small screwdriver.

Then you drive the rod out from behind the support bar (where the circlip was) - so from the front of the motorcycle towards the rear.

Use a 6/8mm drift and hammer - it will need a bit of effort it first as the far end of the rod is splined to mate with the hanger. After a few whacks it will come loose so you can move it from the other end with fingers.

You don't need to get it all the way out though, just enough to get the slider in. Drive the rod back in and put the circlip back on.

It is literally 5 minutes of a job.

I've attached some photos to hopefully make it clearer and a snippet of the parts fiche to show you the pieces - apologies for the low quality. The sliders are identical for both sides - they have a flat end and a pointy end - the pointy end points up / out. You might need to use a hammer to tap them in as they are a tight fit.

You can see there are two other large shim washers that go either side of the peg, just ignore them, the bar will just slide through them.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts