KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I had to tell the dealer the part number when I called. Let me know how it works out and any gotchas to watch out for. I may not do this until I start commuting to work again, right now I’m all about getting it ready for the track.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Alright got them installed and working. The only gotcha i ran into was no instructions in the boxes and no instructions available online.
Ok so here is the process:
  • Remove stock grips and install the heated grips
    • This is the same process as the 790 instructions
  • Remove headlight and front wiring cover to get access to "front harness"
  • Route heated grip connections into front harness location following the existing wires on the handlebars
  • Plug grips into harness
    • Throttle side has two connectors, clutch side has one connector
      • Connector at the end of throttle grip wire plugs into the bike harness (white connector with cap)
      • Clutch side connector plugs into the remaining connector on the throttle side wire
  • Tuck all the wires and reinstall wiring cover and headlight
    • Be careful with this - the throttle side wires have resisters in their harness that cannot be bent.
  • Remove rear cowl/passenger seat
  • On the left side of the battery there is a black 6 pin connector with a cap. Remove the Cap
plug - left side of battery box.jpg

• Plug in the heater control module. One side of the module has a rubber cap, just leave it on

• Module slides onto plastic taps on the side of the battery box

• key bike on, go into settings and enable the heated grips.
Note: grips will only heat up if the bike is running. Id also recommend doing a test before tucking all the wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alright got them installed and working. The only gotcha i ran into was no instructions in the boxes and no instructions available online.
Ok so here is the process:
  • Remove stock grips and install the heated grips
    • This is the same process as the 790 instructions
  • Remove headlight and front wiring cover to get access to "front harness"
  • Route heated grip connections into front harness location following the existing wires on the handlebars
  • Plug grips into harness
    • Throttle side has two connectors, clutch side has one connector
      • Connector at the end of throttle grip wire plugs into the bike harness (white connector with cap)
      • Clutch side connector plugs into the remaining connector on the throttle side wire
  • Tuck all the wires and reinstall wiring cover and headlight
    • Be careful with this - the throttle side wires have resisters in their harness that cannot be bent.
  • Remove rear cowl/passenger seat
  • On the left side of the battery there is a black 6 pin connector with a cap. Remove the Cap
View attachment 6438
  • Plug in the heater control module. One side of the module has a rubber cap, just leave it on
View attachment 6439
  • Module slides onto plastic taps on the side of the battery box
View attachment 6440
  • key bike on, go into settings and enable the heated grips.
Note: grips will only heat up if the bike is running. Id also recommend doing a test before tucking all the wires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tip: Before mounting module on tabs, look further down along battery (left side below tabs). There are four 6mm connectors in clear insulation. These are your acc1 and acc2 underseat connectors. They can be re-routed to behind fuse box for easier access to connect usb etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tip: Before mounting module on tabs, look further down along battery (left side below tabs). There are four 6mm connectors in clear insulation. These are your acc1 and acc2 underseat connectors. They can be re-routed to behind fuse box for easier access to connect usb etc.
good call. I'll probably reroute mine that way

·
Registered
105 Posts
The dealer is installing mine as part of building up the bike, will they be hard to dig out if they burry them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The dealer is installing mine as part of building up the bike, will they be hard to dig out if they burry them?
Not really, if you look at the last picture from my install post you can see the 4 acc connectors just to the left of the heated grip module. Module is pretty easy to slide off the taps and reroute wires around it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the install breakdown. Did you have to loosen throttle cables and deal with getting the slack set properly again with the new grips? The throttle works so well now I’m a little wary of messing with it and not getting the same feel after.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the install breakdown. Did you have to loosen throttle cables and deal with getting the slack set properly again with the new grips? The throttle works so well now I’m a little wary of messing with it and not getting the same feel after.
It’s a drive by wire system, so there aren’t any throttle cables to deal with. Once you remove the top part of the throttle the grip can just slide off the bar. The new grip will have a notch that index’s with the throttle assembly just like the one you remove.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s a drive by wire system, so there aren’t any throttle cables to deal with. Once you remove the top part of the throttle the grip can just slide off the bar. The new grip will have a notch that index’s with the throttle assembly just like the one you remove.
Silly question but are the heated grips the same or similar diameter/size/thickness as the original grips. Some heated grips get bulkier.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looking forward to installing mine.. There's a pass I ride in June that's over 10,000 ft. in elevation.. Last year my hands Frooooooze.. I'd originally bought the 1290 kit but couldn't get it to work as posted on this forum earlier. I KNEW eventually KTM would come out with the correct dash controlled part since it was built into the display. Glad I waited. Thanks for the install tips.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The heated grips are great, I live in a mountainous area so constantly dealing with changing temps! Have been turned on for every single ride so far.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts