KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a 890 R specific heated grip kit has been added to the US power parts store. This should allow control through the TFT display without the control box that the 790 needs.
Has anyone ordered or installed this yet?

1611775959228.png

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've seen it available on a few UK sites for 207 Euros so around $250, but who know what the actual price will be.
I've seen it available on a few UK sites for 207 Euros so around $250, but who know what the actual price will be.
i’ll contact my dealer see if they have it listed!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had them installed (with other goodies) from day one, last August. They work just like the ones on my SDR.
I'm jealous been wanting for them to be available in the US for awhile. Many US owners just installed the 790 set with the handlebar mounted controls.

Do you know if after the install the dealer had to enable them or not?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm jealous been wanting for them to be available in the US for awhile. Many US owners just installed the 790 set with the handlebar mounted controls.

Do you know if after the install the dealer had to enable them or not?
Sorry, I don't know if they had to enable them or not. I'm thinking they did because once the install is done, the status of the warmers shows up on the dash. An icon of a grip that shows low, medium, and high heat status.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heated grips enabled from factory on 890r. Controls are in the menu as standard. Simple fit. Grips go on same as 790 and connect behind headlight. Control unit plugs in under seat...left side of battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heated grips enabled from factory on 890r. Controls are in the menu as standard. Simple fit. Grips go on same as 790 and connect behind headlight. Control unit plugs in under seat...left side of battery.
I assure you the 790 and 890 use different grip kits. The 790 grips have a handle bar mounted control unit and cannot be controlled in the menu. Until recently the 890 grip kit was not available in the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I assure you the 790 and 890 use different grip kits. The 790 grips have a handle bar mounted control unit and cannot be controlled in the menu. Until recently the 890 grip kit was not available in the US.
Agreed. I am saying the grips fit the same as on 790 except control unit that comes with 890r kit fits under the seat. And have been available for a while but dealers did not know. I only got the correct ones after emailing ktm directly about 6 mnts ago after dealer incorrectly supplied 790 kit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. I am saying the grips fit the same as on 790 except control unit that comes with 890r kit fits under the seat. And have been available for a while but dealers did not know. I only got the correct ones after emailing ktm directly about 6 mnts ago after dealer incorrectly supplied 790 kit.
Ah I see. I really wish ktm dealers were more informed about their products. So after the install did your bike require a flash for the grips to work or was it plug n play?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah I see. I really wish ktm dealers were more informed about their products. So after the install did your bike require a flash for the grips to work or was it plug n play?
No flash. Straight p&p. And I think they are working on dealer information because wanted to know which dealer I bought from and informed them as well about correct grips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone compared these to the Oxford Heaterz Premium (Oxford Heaterz Premium Sport Heated Grips - RevZilla I had those on my Speed Triple R and they worked great, got very hot and heated up quickly, but the handlebar module was pretty big. I like the idea of the controls integrated into the dash with the KTM version, but they're also $240 vs. $90. The dealer said it's complicated to install behind the headlight - has anyone installed it themselves?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The dealer said it's complicated to install behind the headlight - has anyone installed it themselves?
It's fiddly in there - not complicated.
Well not if you have two eyes, two hands and a brain.
Being able to read might be the stumbling block :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have a good source in the US for these? My Google search has not revealed any obvious choices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
check your local dealer. They have to order them, mine said 2 weeks lead time.
Option 1: Ride to local big box dealer 45 minutes away that does not stock the part. Pay for said part (plus shipping) and go home to wait for the call, Ride back to the dealer after receiving the call and pick up the grips. Ride back home.

Begin disassembly of motorcycle after watching YouTube video. After 45 minutes of careful preparation realize the dealer ordered the wrong part. Put motorcycle back together.

Ride another 45 minutes back to the dealer to get correct part. After waiting about 20 minutes for the only parts person to get off the phone or at least acknowledge that I am waiting I decided to just return them and see if I can find them online.

Option 2: Order online and have the correct part delivered to my door at a likely discount.

I already tried option 1 and am seeking help with Option 2. Option 1 makes little sense if they don't have them in stock.
If I have to order it I might as well just go ahead and order it online and have it delivered while saving a whole bunch of time and aggravation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm Installing mine tonight and will let you know how it goes tomorrow. I've been behind the headlight a few times, its tight but pretty simple to see whats going on. One nice thing I noticed compared to other heated grip kits I've seen is that the grip diameter is the same as stock. Most heated grip kits have a larger diameter and feel odd in the hand.

I ordered through my dealer and had them shipped to me. Most dealers in the US are not aware of this kit and will try to order the wrong one, so make sure they are ordering the correct kit by confirming the part number. The correct kit for the 890 is 63612964044.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts