KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with the power cutting out on a downchange either manually or using the quickshifter?
I've experienced it about 3 or 4 times now manually downchanging with a blip mostly slowing to a stop and going down from 3rd to 2nd but on a country road blast last week it happened using the quickshifter from 5th to 4th as I tipped into a long sweeper - a bit disconcerting...
Restarts straight away via the starter.
I've seen forum notes re a recurring issue on 390's with various suggestions such as faulty kickstand switches, idle speed settings, quickshifters and adaptive ECU values???
Any ideas? Dealer yet to respond.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
95 Posts
Yikes!! Search all the posts that 'Essie' contributed concerning this symptom. It is smoke and mirrors but will be a dealer/KTM fix (eventually)

Reactions: Essie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bummer! Sorry to hear that.

Still none the wiser, unfortunately, although it hasn't happened for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Oldwisedude @Essie guys thanks for the guidance on those posts and @Essie I feel your frustration. I've sent 2 emails to the dealer outlining the issues and have had no response so I'm hading over there this week to raise the issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it possible this is a Lean fueling issue when the clutch pulled in and the engine is just dying as engine speed drops?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, however getting KTM or a dealer to also arrive at that conclusion, then to explore it further appears to be the real issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible this is a Lean fueling issue when the clutch pulled in and the engine is just dying as engine speed drops?
@Thumper790 anecdotally I'm arriving at a similar conclusion. A fellow Duke owner on the Aussie FB Duke page suggested that since fitting a Booster Plug the issue has resolved. It might be the way to go but I'd like to dealer and KTM to make an effort first in case there are other underlying issues.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
156 Posts
I had this very same experience. Rolling to a stop or entering a turn with the throttle off and clutch in, the engine could just quit. Very unsettling. It was intermittent, and unpredictable.
When I arrived for the first service I brought the problem to the attention of the technician. When he was done he said he turned up the idle a little and that it should not happen again.
I'm glad to say he was right.
I hope your problem is as easily resolved.
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with the dealer today. They said that if it's quickshifter related then the system will return error codes but if it's plugs and injectors they'll be nothing in the logs. They ruled out side stand switch or idle so we'll see what they say once it's been in for a check. Can't get in till Feb 2nd though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds very much like my Ugga.
Once the plugs and injectors are (hopefully) done, barring a bit more of the same for a short while afterwards, yours might settle down.
Mine is running beautifully now, having changed my riding style a bit by downshifting sooner at higher revs. It simply isn't as forgiving as my old bike in terms of fuelling and messages being taken up instantly.
I feel that all the bells and whistles just don't leave any wiggleroom when so many features are crammed into one (awesome) machine. This most basic consequence is merely a result of R&D getting a smidge too cute, much as I adore the bike.
Keep us posted re how you go when you do get the bike in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds very much like my Ugga.
Once the plugs and injectors are (hopefully) done, barring a bit more of the same for a short while afterwards, yours might settle down.
Mine is running beautifully now, having changed my riding style a bit by downshifting sooner at higher revs. It simply isn't as forgiving as my old bike in terms of fuelling and messages being taken up instantly.
I feel that all the bells and whistles just don't leave any wiggleroom when so many features are crammed into one (awesome) machine. This most basic consequence is merely a result of R&D getting a smidge too cute, much as I adore the bike.
Keep us posted re how you go when you do get the bike in.
@Essie I went for a decent ride on the weekend. A good 4 hours or so. It didn't happen at all during the entire ride. However, as I was leaving home I was motoring away in 1st after warming to 2 bars on the temp and as I coasted toward the end of the street with the clucth in and the bike in 1st I gave the throttle a short blip and bang - it cut out. Repeated the process straight after and sure enough same thing happened. Went down the road a bit more, up a couple of gears then back down to a coasting clutch in 1st gear but this time it stayed alight. This is the 1st time I've been able to 'induce' the fault.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts