KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post up some facts and help debunk some rumors about the PC5 when used on the 790. I've purchased one and have around 1100 miles currently on the bike after the install. Running a Rottweiler map for the stock cat/open muffler (Akrapovic Ti slip-on) for now but have their map for the decat/open muffler for when I eventually install the Arrow decat I have in the garage. I have a Dynojet POD-300 display connected so I can datalog parameters in the future. Also have a dual channel AutoTune kit that I may install later on. Disconnected o2 sensors.

1) Check engine light is on steady. Checking the codes comes up with the obvious o2 sensor and o2 sensor heater codes. This is the biggest negative about running a PC5 with the o2 sensors disconnected and was one that I wasn't sure about living with. That said, I hardly notice the light during my rides and the display never shows any full screen warnings such as when the turn signals aren't working or a maintenance required notification pops up. One thing I'd like to add in case any 790 Adventure riders find this post is that the cruise control will not work if the check engine light is on according to my research. To retain that function, you would have to run a "Street" map and leave the o2 sensors connected.

2) The bike does NOT go into a "limp mode". Full power and full rpm range is available.

3) ALL throttle modes are functional. Rain, Street, Sport, and Track. Previous to the PC5, I found the throttle and engine to be quite jagged and jerky at light, steady throttle inputs at lower speeds and was accustomed to switching to Rain mode to help soften it going through lower speed limit roads. I can now use all modes at any speed without a problem. Off to On throttle transitions are much smoother as well.

4) Traction control, Anti-wheelie, and Launch control all work perfectly.

5) I have noticed the Quickshifter seems smoother. I noticed this same effect when I ran a Boosterplug on the bike before. I assume it's from having a smoother and more consistent load on the transmission.

6) The engine start-up and idle seem much more steady. I have experienced the weird cold start-up issue where the bike would rev up and down a few times and cut off. It was sporadic and random but haven't had that happen since the PC5. Will update if it happens in the future. Now the bike will fire up, settle to a nice idle, and stay there without lumping or hunting.

I'll add more as I gain more experience with the PC5 on the 790 but in conclusion, this is a great mod and makes the bike much more fun to ride and enjoy. The check engine light is such an insignificant issue when compared to the massive positives and possibilities that the PC5 gives you. I can't believe I stressed so much about it now.

Another thing to note is that the PC5 is only as good as the tune that is installed on it. The PC5 gives you the tools necessary to modify the fueling/ignition and it's up to the end user to make sure that the tune is correct and safe for their bike and setup. Whether that tune comes from a file downloaded from a reputable company or a custom dyno tune, it's essential to get it right.

Future plans are to datalog with the POD-300 when I learn how to use and graph all it's functions. May add the Autotune in the future but want to experience just the PC5 for now so I can share my findings on here. I have a map switch and will play around with a full-power and economy map tuning on a dyno as well as calibrating for gear-based fueling. Will share my thoughts on the Arrow decat also. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
96 Posts
interesting write up.

how come that most of the people from ktmforum and facebook claim pcv do not work?
you can buy used pcv on ebay for 790, sold by rottweiler, where they refused to take it back until people figure out that it's simply not working?

·
Registered
284 Posts
interesting write up.

how come that most of the people from ktmforum and facebook claim pcv do not work?
you can buy used pcv on ebay for 790, sold by rottweiler, where they refused to take it back until people figure out that it's simply not working?
Why do you keep saying the pcv doesn’t work when you’ve obviously not bought and tried it ?
It does Work I can assure you and I’d be saying so if it didn’t.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'd love to see an objective blindfolded face off - Nothing vs COOBER vs PCV vs flash - Dash would have to be covered so we need an enterprising Track Journo'.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd love to see an objective blindfolded face off - Nothing vs COOBER vs PCV vs flash - Dash would have to be covered so we need an enterprising Track Journo'.
I’ve said a few times not that it’ll ever happen, it would be good to get the different set ups on the same dyno same day.
we all have our preference and make our choices but I really don’t get why tango1 comes on here mainly to bash the pcv when those of us who have one know it works well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’ve said a few times not that it’ll ever happen, it would be good to get the different set ups on the same dyno same day.
we all have our preference and make our choices but I really don’t get why tango1 comes on here mainly to bash the pcv when those of us who have one know it works well.
Maybe he works for Coober :devil:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I believe a PCV tuned on a dyno would be big improvement. It's just the constant on check engine light that's a deal breaker for me. I mean, what if there is an actual issue with the bike, you'd never know.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
443 Posts
It's all black magic, psychosomatic baloney, a waste of money!!!!

BUT, in the interest of science I'd be happy to be the site guinea pig if someone could arrange all of these options for me.

Team player and all that.....

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
interesting write up.

I was under the impression the light on the dash bothered some people, but I never heard it didn’t do it’s job as promised?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe a PCV tuned on a dyno would be big improvement. It's just the constant on check engine light that's a deal breaker for me. I mean, what if there is an actual issue with the bike, you'd never know.
It is a good improvement( it was on my Raptor) but I think that the downside to it is that if tou change the slip-on you need to go on the dyno for a remap witch cost some $$ also for me i don’t have easy access to real bike tune pro. My other concern (If understand right) about it is that running in Nevada or up here in Montreal(cold and warm weather) or up high in mountains isn’t the same so without the O2 it could not detect that it run too lean or rich and would not adjust so it may not be the best.

As for track purpose I am sure it’s going to give you the most of any other tune(with the right tune guy).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting write up.

Not sure where you get your info from but they're wrong. This thread is here to counter all these weird claims you tend to post up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what had me hesitant too. Most failures and issues will pop up on the full display and there is a separate oil light. Anything serious will make the bike going into "limp mode" and the check engine light will flash.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What we really need is in impartial Journalist - with a 790 - who allows a mechanic to fit a PCV and a COOBER in an unknown order @EvansB2 would be my choice. imo it needs to be tested on one single vehicle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What we really need is in impartial Journalist - with a 790 - who allows a mechanic to fit a PCV and a COOBER in an unknown order @EvansB2 would be my choice. imo it needs to be tested on one single vehicle.
EvansB2 has the pcv I believe ? It just needs someone to send him a coober to try.
I don’t suppose you know anyone who could do that per chance?

·
VIP member
415 Posts
EvansB2 has the pcv I believe ? It just needs someone to send him a coober to try.
I don’t suppose you know anyone who could do that per chance?
My PCV is at Rottweiler undergoing some dyno troubleshooting, right now. If they can solve my issue, I'll never take it off – even for science. (OK, maybe I will, but solving this problem has been a long time coming.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts