KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Photos tell the story so far. I was tracing a minor oil leak at the right front area of the motor.

Looking at the upper engine block beside the water pump noted a defect in the casting. Inspection shows a hole, wet with motor oil.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for anticipated feedback.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Muffler
Water Auto part Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Casting bubbles are so rare these days, but anything can happen in a complex process. I've seen porous aluminum sweating oil on car engines/trans, but no casting holes yet fortunately. Take it back in to your dealer to have it checked. Sad to see an issue that's not easily remedied. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Photos tell the story so far. I was tracing a minor oil leak at the right front area of the motor.

Looking at the upper engine block beside the water pump noted a defect in the casting. Inspection shows a hole, wet with motor oil.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for anticipated feedback.

View attachment 4980 View attachment 4981
I have a 2020 790 Duke ... it started a slow leak in the exact spot on your photo. There is no visible sign of a hole in the casting however... could be a hairline... I just dropped it at the dealer yesterday haven' heard back. It was leaving an oil stain about the size of a handball or tennis ball after a good ride on the garage floor at only 400 miles! Cripes my 2007 Honda ATV 250 doesn't leave a drop on the floor going on 14 years. Did they need to disassemble engine casing to fix?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealership requested photos of the MC, ODO and VIN today. Engine # sent as well for good measure. In process.

I have a 2020 790 Duke ... it started a slow leak in the exact spot on your photo. There is no visible sign of a hole in the casting however... could be a hairline... I just dropped it at the dealer yesterday haven' heard back. It was leaving an oil stain about the size of a handball or tennis ball after a good ride on the garage floor at only 400 miles! Cripes my 2007 Honda ATV 250 doesn't leave a drop on the floor going on 14 years. Did they need to disassemble engine casing to fix?
Greetings - "Misery loves company."

I don't think you want to hear what we think the proper repair is.

Please keep us updated on your progress?

Thanks.

Update September 22 2020.

After 2 months of the dealer having no feedback from KTM, the district sales manager said service and warranty at national level had personal issues, advised them to contact national head.

Standing by...

Finally contact with KTM national today. Empathetic employee confirmed understanding of the issue, our expectations, and that she would consult with their technical side and management on a solution.

Good just to finally make contact and be heard.

3 month update.

Moving up the national KTM chain and they are opening the conversation at the level of a replacement engine. A good start.

Points to KTM for professionalism and empathy.

Fingers crossed, the conversation continues.

GOOD NEWS: KTM authorizing replacement 2020 KTM 790 Duke.

Next update on delivery. Whoo-Hoo, thank you for standing behind your product, KTM.

Delighted, but still waiting: dealer unable to complete the paperwork before the shop closed for a months holidays.

Green light to keep riding the original through the season, however.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update. I had to call dealer after bike sitting there a week. They hadn't touched it yet. They simply regurgitated back to me what I told them "Its leaking at the upper casing". So then, the only mechanic there that can work on it, apparently, called back and said he needs to take the engine out, open the casing, and re-glue it. No parts needed but will take "a couple weeks". So ya, warranty will fix it - eventually. Nobody around to actually "fix it" in a timely matter. I love KTM bikes, this my 3rd one. But I will go back to a Japanese bike when I get this back. I just bought a brand new bike and can't use it. Not acceptable to me. They cant fix it timely. I'm done. Odds on how long it will "really" take? A couple weeks probably means a month or more in mechanic speak.

Last 4 digits of my VIN 6132

·
Banned
282 Posts
Last 4 digits of my VIN 6132

My bike has casting bubbles in the same spot.
Last 4 are 8786, production date 11/19

We aren't very close in production numbers. Interesting,
I wonder how many other bikes have casting bubbles? I'm guessing quite a few.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update as of 7-13. In summary dealer doesn’t have the time to fix it. KTM will fix it “if” the dealer will remove the engine and send it to them. As stated above the dealer told me 5 weeks now from calling and dropping of bike almost 4 weeks ago they don’t have time right now to remove engine. So in summary KTM thus far will not honor there written warranty ( instructions to take to dealer - which I did) and the dealer wont do what Ktm asks do beware. In my experience if you buy a brand new KTM there simply is no warranty.

·
a d m i n .
151,082 Posts
It’s like a horror movie..

Hope ya’ll get it sorted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Update as of 7-13. In summary dealer doesn’t have the time to fix it. KTM will fix it “if” the dealer will remove the engine and send it to them. As stated above the dealer told me 5 weeks now from calling and dropping of bike almost 4 weeks ago they don’t have time right now to remove engine. So in summary KTM thus far will not honor there written warranty ( instructions to take to dealer - which I did) and the dealer wont do what Ktm asks do beware. In my experience if you buy a brand new KTM there simply is no warranty.
Any updates on this situation? Hope things have worked out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just inspected my 790 all looks good.

Black Metal Carbon Steel Household hardware

But I had a similar problem with my 1050 Adventure on the rhs near the clutch to the left of the bolt hole, bike was out of warranty and KTM weren't very helpful.

Anyway to cut a long story short I fixed it in 10 mins for $20 using a Permatex product called "Ultra Black gasket maker" it bonds to bare metal, goes on like silicone rubber but dries rock hard. The area to be covered has to be bare metal because it won't stick to painted surfaces, its a chemical bond, I just scratched the paint off around the hole.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just inspected my 790 all looks good.

View attachment 6011

But I had a similar problem with my 1050 Adventure on the rhs near the clutch to the left of the bolt hole, bike was out of warranty and KTM weren't very helpful.

Anyway to cut a long story short I fixed it in 10 mins for $20 using a Permatex product called "Ultra Black gasket maker" it bonds to bare metal, goes on like silicone rubber but dries rock hard. The area to be covered has to be bare metal because it won't stick to painted surfaces, its a chemical bond, I just scratched the paint off around the hole.
Well done. That would have been our last, and final, fall back position. Which probably works perfectly, well done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RESOLUTION

6 Months, almost to the day after I first found a casting flaw in the engine cases of Laura's 4 month old 6500km 2020 KTM 790 Duke, she received a warranty replacement motorcycle: a brand new 0 kms 2020 KTM 790 Duke, complete with the full 2 year warranty.

Many thanks to KTM Canada and Daytona Motorsports, Vancouver BC, for standing behind their product and warranty, doing the right thing, and keeping Laura a happy KTM kustomer.

50 break in kms on the ride home in 6C January weather, no issues, Laura cracked a smile.

Happy Ending.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gee, you were lucky Molong, well done.

In my case KTM were acting like I was trying to rip them off which I found deeply insulting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys new to the forum i have a 2018 and I have had a leak from that area for ages it just looks like mist on the engine casing as my warranty is due to run out on the 6th March and is booked into dealership in U.K. for them to have a look at finding it seeing this post I thought I’d have a really good look and yes I’ve got a small hole in the block I have a really low engine number 0190 haven’t seen anybody’s that low ? so hopefully I got in just in time I’ll update here as the saga begins get you beer and popcorn at the ready

1 - 18 of 18 Posts