KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R, 2008 KTM EXC-R, 1959 Harley-Davidson Panhead, 1981 Yamaha XS650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BECAUSE MINE DIDNT!!
The dealer filled the fuel tank but did not put oil in the engine. The below picture is the bike standing upright (off its stand) on flat ground with the engine sitting for about fifty minutes. It looks like only the oil the machine shipped with (post drain before it leaves the factory).

Right now I am trying very hard not to worry about any damage I just did to my $12,000+ performance machine's engine.
The bike was started at least THREE times this way:
once at the dealer (I wasn't there)
once at the dealer(I was there)
once at home (right before I was going to go for a spin right as I got home)

I never revved it beyond 4k. I don't know what possessed me to check the oil level but it might have been a puff of white smoke out the exhaust.

The dealer is hours away from my house so I plan to go pick up some fresh Motorex at the local shop tomorrow AM and ride until my ass is numb!

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R, 2008 KTM EXC-R, 1959 Harley-Davidson Panhead, 1981 Yamaha XS650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went back out to the shop to take a look. The level hasn't changed but there is SOME oil so I fired it up for just a second to see if I got an oil pressure warning. Nada. So I don't think I blasted the engine or anything. It's probably really low and needs topped up. Tomorrow's another day... filled with fresh oil

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently did my first oil change after the 620 mile break in period on my 890. I added exactly 2.8l (measured with a measuring cup) per the manual and it wasn't showing in the view window at all. I leaned it over the the right to see if any showed at all and it did (at a pretty extreme angle) so I just added oil until it showed in the view window.

Try leaning it to the right and see if it shows at all.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
I recently did my first oil change after the 620 mile break in period on my 890. I added exactly 2.8l (measured with a measuring cup) per the manual and it wasn't showing in the view window at all. I leaned it over the the right to see if any showed at all and it did (at a pretty extreme angle) so I just added oil until it showed in the view window.

Try leaning it to the right and see if it shows at all.
I recently did the same however I remember my mechanic telling me last year that Motorex has a peculiar quirk about it in that it "Expands" more than other oils when warm so to never fill it above the halfway point in the sight glass.
I dump in 2.6L - checked it - nothing.
Added another 100ml - nada.
Added 100ml for the full 2.8L - just under the magic halfway point.

Next day went for a ride, checked it with my son sitting on it for balance - totally full and actually overfull - fack me...

Luckily I never had to worry about draining a bit as I took it to the dealer for the CSS leak the next day and they had to drain the oil anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently did the same however I remember my mechanic telling me last year that Motorex has a peculiar quirk about it in that it "Expands" more than other oils when warm so to never fill it above the halfway point in the sight glass.
I dump in 2.6L - checked it - nothing.
Added another 100ml - nada.
Added 100ml for the full 2.8L - just under the magic halfway point.

Next day went for a ride, checked it with my son sitting on it for balance - totally full and actually overfull - fack me...

Luckily I never had to worry about draining a bit as I took it to the dealer for the CSS leak the next day and they had to drain the oil anyway.
That's interesting. When I picked up my bike from the dealer it was over the halfway mark in the viewing window. It was all the way to the top, so that's where I filled it when I put oil it. Maybe I'll drain a bit out.

Did you check the oil after the dealer changed the CSS?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
That's interesting. When I picked up my bike from the dealer it was over the halfway mark in the viewing window. It was all the way to the top, so that's where I filled it when I put oil it. Maybe I'll drain a bit out.

Did you check the oil after the dealer changed the CSS?
I did actually - they ended up using all fresh oil again as per the warranty fix but when I got home it was topped way up, let it cool overnight and checked it - just below 1/2 full on the sightglass - perfect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did actually - they ended up using all fresh oil again as per the warranty fix but when I got home it was topped way up, let it cool overnight and checked it - just below 1/2 full on the sightglass - perfect.
Cool, I shall drain some out in the quest for perfect oil level!

·
Registered
284 Posts
are you not meant to check the oil at operating temperature like the 790?

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
are you not meant to check the oil at operating temperature like the 790?
Yes - absolutely if you are checking for the ideal oil level then it should be done with a thoroughly warmed engine.

I'm okay with it being to the top when warm knowing that it shows up at a decent level when cool and settled so it's not overfilled. I'm just too lazy to lower it by 50ml which is what it would need I'd guess to show 1/2 - 2/3 up the sight glass when warm. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd love to see the technical justification for that gem!.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
I'd love to see the technical justification for that gem!.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he knew about my lack of mechanical aptitude so REALLY dumbed it down so I'd understand his warning to not overfill it if I did my own oil changes.
My eyes would have glossed over if he spoke about how KTM's parallel twins and Motorex combine to form this amazing new expanding engine oil with all the juicy technical bits...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he knew about my lack of mechanical aptitude so REALLY dumbed it down so I'd understand his warning to not overfill it if I did my own oil changes.
My eyes would have glossed over if he spoke about how KTM's parallel twins and Motorex combine to form this amazing new expanding engine oil with all the juicy technical bits...
:LOL:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I received mine, the oil showed at the middle of the sight glass when the bike was cold and upright.
Oh man this confuses me even more now!!
So when my engine is cold, my oil level shows as above.
Then when up to operating temp (4 squares on the dash) if I hold the bike completely even (left to right) I observe my oil in the middle of the sight glass.

Here is the page from the owner's manual that instructs us to only check the oil under a specific condition(normal operating temp):

And my sight glass after things have warmed up (bike is OFF the side stand, level both front/back and left/right).

I put 178 miles on the bike today..... this machine has some guts! I watched a ton of videos on this bike but nothing can accurately describe the g-force feeling as the torque rips you out of a corner. I haven't had this much fun in years. These bikes are truly incredible machines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It seems like your oil level is correct dukecity. Engine at operating temp, turned off and wait one minute, oil should be between the circle. Which is exactly what yours is. According to the manual, I think you're good.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I researched a bit and it seems like the 890R is the first bike engine built by KTM and using the proprietary OilLess Engine Technology.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The biker gods said, "no more riding" for me today! Less than 300 miles on this rubber too...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts