KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was pondering my upcoming year 2 service, bike is a 2019 790D. I had the running in service £160ish, the first year service £248 (Sept 2020, should have been July but delayed due to Covid), and my next service, 2nd year scheduled for July this year.

Due to health issues and the various lockdowns in Scotland / UK I've only managed 1400 miles overall.

My question is, is it worth getting the 2nd year service, which no doubt will be another £240 + when during this period I'll now be out of the two year warranty, and bearing this in mind would it be better just to do my own oil and filter change (knowing it will be done correctly, at the last service when I picked up the Duke I thought the engine was on fire as they had managed to get so much oil splattered all over the engine)....

If KTM offered a reasonably priced extended warranty it might be worth it for higher mileage riders, but I'm not sure that's ever going to be me.

Thoughs?

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 790 Duke will be coming out of its warranty in August this year. In that time I have had just the two services, with costs similar to what you quote. I have had no problems with the bike except the slight coolant leak. The bike has 13,000km now and I will not reach the next service interval prior to the warranty expiring. I have no intention of taking it to the dealer just to hand over another $400 - $500 for what amounts to an oil change. My dealer tries to make it up with things like a bike wash, chain lube etc, but in reality there is not much to the service that a good DIY person cannot do. I serviced my previous bike (Honda VFR800) for its entire life after the first year, and it ran just as strongly when I sold it as when I first bought. Apart from the fancy electronics, I cannot see much difference in maintaining the KTM.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i Would get it done at the dealer as you’ve low mileage you may get some goodwill from Ktm if there’s anything wrong but don’t hold your breath.
I get what you’re saying about dealer service last one I had done was half a litre short of oil when they gave it back too me but when I complained they made it seem like I’m a **** and the lack of oil was some how acceptable 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're competent on the spanners I'd do it yourself. I bought an 18mth old one last August and although it had only done 3000 miles it was a year since it's previous service, as it was a demo bike sold at 6mths and serviced by the dealer. In order to keep the remaining 6mths warranty I needed it serviced by a KTM dealer at about £220. Then, because of lockdown, it hardly got used for 6 or 7 months by which time the warranty had expired 🙄

I won't be going to a main dealer for the next one unless it needs plugging in to the KTM mothership for anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you're not confident working on the bike yourself, maybe find yourself a good independent bike mechanic who you can trust. It's amazing how many stories you hear of "official" dealerships screwing up the simplest of jobs, and of course charging you like a wounded bull for the privilege! I do my own basic maintenance (oil changes, chain service etc) and I use a trusted independent mechanic for anything more involved. Other than for a few warranty jobs, my bike hasn't seen the inside of a dealership's workshop.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I was competent I'd do it myself. As I'm a bit of a numpty when armed with a spanner, my bikes are main dealer serviced. It costs a bit more but it gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So many horror stories about main stealers, once mine is out of warranty, I’ll be going elsewhere. Teasdales in thirsk arent highly rated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a copy of the repair manual which, hopefully, will more than pay for itself. The only peculiar service thing is the clutch oil jet....
R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts