KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would add that depending on where you live, a windscreen can be a real plus. A lot of my riding is at night as the days can be so hot and humid. Apparently the bugs think so as well. Went for a 30 min ride on my 890 and the entire front of my hi viz yellow jacket was pretty much black and covered in bug guts. Visor was so covered I had to ride with it up the last few miles as I couldn't see.

My son was on another bike that I added a pretty effective windscreen to an ADV bike. It isn't huge but has a variable tilt spoiler on the top mad by MRA. He only had a few bug splats on the top of his helmet and a few spots on his arms. That bike has a really nice pocket of still air when you set it up right or change the spoiler and get more breeze when you want.

Factor in the rain we get almost every day now and I am really missing a windscreen on the 890. Sadly most of them look pretty hideous on it.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A couple of points. Aesthetics aside - because that is just plain personal.

1) Some form of screen WILL protect the instrument panel. This is good.
2) Nothing at all against the concept of a screen. Spend anytime commuting near rivers in winter - Fog is ruddy unpleasant.
3) But one look at that PARABELLUM and you KNOW it will end in tears.

There is way insufficient vertical spacing between the bolts for the height of the blade itself.
The mounts are incapable of providing ANY long term structural support.
The upper mounts are - simply put - CRAP. They will allow all sorts of waggle.
And with the 3rd (lower bolt) in the instrument housing - well you (I anyway) can guess.
Zero triangulation for stress, and the plain blade will flex.

Guys - We ride a lightweight and fairly high speed mini-missile.
Rigidity matters a lot if you are bolting stuff on that generates air resistance - especially onto the steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
155 Posts
This is the only one I could find that looks good and does a proper job, no flex and good quality.
Do you know how its height compares to the KTM touring screen?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes Nick, thanks for the info
Windscreen update. I bought the Scheibe windscreen 5 months ago and am very happy with it. No added windnoise, no buffeting and no flapping. It covers the instruments so bugs do not end up on the backside. I don't ride at night anymore, so I don't know if headlight reflection would be a problem. It's not during daylight hours. It doesn't keep all the bugs off my faceshield but cuts them way down. I can get by with cleaning the faceshield 3 times during an all day ride as opposed to every 60 minutes without the shield. We have lots of bugs in MN and WI. :mad: Definitely a good edition to the bike.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
695 Posts
I went this route for the reasons mentioned in my post.

I am still happy as a clam at high tide with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Windscreen update. I bought the Scheibe windscreen 5 months ago and am very happy with it. No added windnoise, no buffeting and no flapping. It covers the instruments so bugs do not end up on the backside. I don't ride at night anymore, so I don't know if headlight reflection would be a problem. It's not during daylight hours. It doesn't keep all the bugs off my faceshield but cuts them way down. I can get by with cleaning the faceshield 3 times during an all day ride as opposed to every 60 minutes without the shield. We have lots of bugs in MN and WI. :mad: Definitely a good edition to the bike.
I have this screen fitted to my 790 and agree with the above comments!! It keeps most of the crap off my chest and I just end up with random wildlife on my visor..... That I can live with!!

·
Super Moderator
1,803 Posts
After looking at the pics on the site, I will have to agree with my friend @barbagris

Screen looks cheap and poorly mounted to the motorcycle. I would pass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.