KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This Saturday, a good bunch of us, Track deprived, bundled to rent the Track for an hour of knee scrapping, sweat bathing and exhaust fuming .

3 sessions of 20mn each of driving sensation rediscovery. Funny how our mind has a great memory of how good it feels, yet the turn point and apex lines are quickly forgotten..

Anyway, point is after the first session, going back to the pits, I noticed the over heating message on the dash.
In all fairness, it was 38c / 100.4F (which is considered cool for New Delhi) and a bit humid that day. Yes, that explains the sweat bathing.
Yet could not really understand why so much over heat. Checked the coolant level and nothing wrong on that side.

At the next session, I used the long straight opportunity (you slowly reach 224-5kph before brake zone, so you have time ... on a D790) to monitor the temperature each time. The usual 5 bars climbed by 1 bar more lap after lap and was stable on the before last temperature bar. When I went back to the pits, this time it did not trigger the Over-heat screen.

On the way back to home (yes, I ride to the track and back 馃え), everything was normal, oscillating between 3-4-5 bars of temperature.

So quite surprised that the 790 cooling system does not seem to be dimensioned for those conditions. Track-day should be part of the standard usage planned for this bike 馃榾

Anyone experienced similar issue?
Coolant level ok, fan working ok yet on a hot day, too much throttle and the temperature goes to the sky?

Registered
That is a hot day and BIC is not a forgiving track I would guess. I think you should move to water wetter or Engine ICE or something similar. Usually at tracks the bikes do run very hot but should not overheat. Did it overheat in the pits?

VIP member
Do you have a radiator guard on your bike? I had an Evotech one on my bike during a track day last year, and every time when I came into the pits on the 106-degree day, the temperature spiked into the warning level On the track, it just ran at the top bar. I took off the radiator guard for the last session, and the temperature dropped one bar.

Registered
I would also make sure the radiator is clean. A fine layer of dirt will inhibit heat transfer a little. If you ride in those conditions a lot you might think about a bigger rad or another on below it to add some capacity.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a radiator guard on your bike? I had an Evotech one on my bike during a track day last year, and every time when I came into the pits on the 106-degree day, the temperature spiked into the warning level On the track, it just ran at the top bar. I took off the radiator guard for the last session, and the temperature dropped one bar.
I think we have a winner here ! 馃
Yes you are correct I do have an R&G radiator guard. Did not occur to me that it could affect so much the cooling potential.

Still, I'm surprised the bike heats that easily.
Funnily enough, on my small Duke 390 on the same track, never heated beyond the daily commuting usual temperature.

I may go and try Engine ICE coolant as advised by Mohith and some other track friend. Surprised to see if it can drop that much the temperature...
Is it that effective ? anyone around here actually tried Engine ICE coolant?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts