KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
One last question - Did you paint the edges of the screen or did you cover them with the wrap? I just got my supplies in and if I can free up this weekend, may give it a shot.
No problem - I left the edges clear.

Firstly I cleaned it completely using washing up liquid (US: dish soap?)

Dried it then painted the back black to reduce the headlight shine.

I covered the front of the screen in some newspaper and used masking tape to define a line around the edges, just onto the back side (so the edges would be clear).

I used some generic matt black spray automotive paint I had in the garage that I'd previously used to re-spray some levers that got scratched. A regular spray can with a ball bearing in it that you shake to mix, just cheap stuff from a local motor DIY place we have here in the UK (Halfords). I sprayed 5 layers in total with about 30 minutes in between each. Just a thin layer each time.

I left it for 24 hours to set properly then started wrapping - I did this inside as it better when everything is warm (I did this in the UK, it's cool in winter). Make sure it's clean and not dusty.

If I had better wrap I would maybe have wrapped it around the edges but as it was cheap stuff I just decided to do the front side leaving the edges clear or any covering. It was a first wrap of any kind for me so that was easiest to do.

Use a hair drier to make the wrap more malleable and pull it on with tension, If it goes wrong (get wrinkles) just pull it off and try again. Start by getting a line down the centre on the screen and work towards the edges. My wrap came with a "spudger" plastic tool to smooth it - but hands and finger nails work too, it's quite forgiving.

Once I'd got it covered I used a craft knife to scribe the edges neat - I used a bendy ruler to help the knife define the edge.

Hopefully you can see the clear edge I left in the photo (so no paint on the back, no wrap on the front) - it's an odd shape I think it's easier to do it this way.

I ended up cutting the wrap in the mounting holes out with the knife, and also the centre section sides too (so the wrap is on the front surfaces, not the sides of the central divot - hope that makes sense).

I think with higher quality of wrap you could get it to deform (with heat) into all the nooks but I just went with what was easiest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
7 Posts
This is very, very helpful! Thanks for all the advice! Might take me a week or two to complete but I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again!!!

61 - 62 of 62 Posts