KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
They sure don't like cold starts it seems. I bought my Bike in Feb 2019 so went through one Qld winter without a problem. The ECU change was the start of the problem. You have my sympathy for the cold start issue with yours - that's worse than what I am experiencing. What do you have in mind to have the issue fixed? Cheers,
What I have in mind is to put the bike over KTM ass. I am getting tired of this, I am waiting for 4 months to swap the LCD under warranty. Waiting one month to swap the head gasket and they don't even give me any credit when I talk about this cold starts. My bike also cuts off when rev matching!

Got it on video several times! (This one was yestrday)

I even contacted Coober to buy their ECU, to see if it fixes my engine problems:

Q: The motorcycle revs automatically when I turn it on in the morning. I am very worried because the engine does not have oil and it can damage the engine. Does Coober fix this problem?
A: NO, COOBER is not fixing this. COOBER ECU jumps in, after 2min of running engine. Start process is regulated by the stock ecu. You need latest software update, and if this is not fixing it, then you need another solution, or your bike does have a technical issue

Q: The motorcycle cuts off when rev matching. I press the clutch then accelerate a bit, and very often the bike cuts off.
A: Then you definitely have a technical issue on your bike.

So now, after they swap the LCD and the gasket I will take the bike in for warranty every day if needed!

·
Registered
439 Posts
What I have in mind is to put the bike over KTM ass. I am getting tired of this, I am waiting for 4 months to swap the LCD under warranty. Waiting one month to swap the head gasket and they don't even give me any credit when I talk about this cold starts. My bike also cuts off when rev matching!

Got it on video several times! (This one was yestrday)

I even contacted Coober to buy their ECU, to see if it fixes my engine problems:

Q: The motorcycle revs automatically when I turn it on in the morning. I am very worried because the engine does not have oil and it can damage the engine. Does Coober fix this problem?
A: NO, COOBER is not fixing this. COOBER ECU jumps in, after 2min of running engine. Start process is regulated by the stock ecu. You need latest software update, and if this is not fixing it, then you need another solution, or your bike does have a technical issue

Q: The motorcycle cuts off when rev matching. I press the clutch then accelerate a bit, and very often the bike cuts off.
A: Then you definitely have a technical issue on your bike.

So now, after they swap the LCD and the gasket I will take the bike in for warranty every day if needed!
Wow that really sucks, sorry to hear. How many miles/km on the bike do you have?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My LCD was replaced inside 2 weeks and the dealer apologized for the delay. I think you have a wank dealer - that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What happened to your LCD ? Was it cracked ? Do you have a picture of it ?
The clock simply did not work. It always displayed the same time. I can barely see the number without reading glasses. But the head tech noticed it too at a service. They expected a week turnaround but it took a bit longer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now while they've been trying to troubleshoot the issue. I believe they're going to inspect the injectors next since the ECU update didn't fix the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Curious to hear which dealer in Brisbane would be the one to go to... Although not overly hopeful...

Got bike a couple weeks ago, from Gold Coast dealer, who updated the software. So far:
No gear indicator except neutral.
Countershaft sprocket seal leaking
Bike will stall a couple times at cold start up before catching and revving to 4k rpm and then settling.

Otherwise yeah, it's great. Now to get to 1000 kms...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well guys, the dealer had my bike for a month and have tried all of KTM's recommended tests to diagnose the cold start issue. I told them to put the bike back together so I can collect it since the riding season is about to start. I'll revisit the issue one more time at the end of this year before the warranty expires, but I'm not going to worry about it in the meantime.

I'm having them install a dampened KTM 15 tooth front sprocket while it's there as a consolation prize.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ooOO what will the dampened KTM 15 tooth sprocket do?

(i have the hunting revs problem, but those other issues sound alarming).
The stock front sprocket is also a dampened unit, but it's 16 teeth. Going to a 15 tooth regears the bike - it will lower the top speed by maybe 5mph or so but will increase acceleration. Since I have no interest in doing top speed runs, it's the perfect compromise for me.

KTM part #58033029115

·
Registered
106 Posts
No ones mentioned it yet, but proper start up should be with the killswitch/ starter button in the middle position. Let the bike do all its diagnostics, then start it.
The one time I started it from the killswitch position it revved high. Its worth a shot.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
9 Posts
My bike has done this a couple of times on cold mornings. That said, "cold" here in California is around 55F/12C - not too cold at all (I do only ride two or three times each week so maybe the inactivity substitutes for cold conditions?). It was a bit alarming the first time it happened but it revs down after a few seconds so doesn't bother me all that much. This is a little off-topic but I'm much less happy about how the bike shifts in low gear. I regularly get false neutrals and occasionally, it feels like I'm skipping second gear, going from first to third . My other bikes have more standard riding positions so I thought between getting familiar with the new foot position and my harness boots not providing much feedback when touching the shifter that it was me. From other posts, I'm not sure that's it. We'll see how it goes after they recalibrate the quickshifter at my upcoming first service.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My bike has done this a couple of times on cold mornings. That said, "cold" here in California is around 55F/12C - not too cold at all (I do only ride two or three times each week so maybe the inactivity substitutes for cold conditions?). It was a bit alarming the first time it happened but it revs down after a few seconds so doesn't bother me all that much. This is a little off-topic but I'm much less happy about how the bike shifts in low gear. I regularly get false neutrals and occasionally, it feels like I'm skipping second gear, going from first to third . My other bikes have more standard riding positions so I thought between getting familiar with the new foot position and my harness boots not providing much feedback when touching the shifter that it was me. From other posts, I'm not sure that's it. We'll see how it goes after they recalibrate the quickshifter at my upcoming first service.
My quick shifter improved greatly after the first service calibration - my main problem before was false neutrals between 5th and 6th - after the calibration it was much smoother for all transitions and no more false neutrals. Before that it worked best under loaded acceleration.

There was definitely a muscle memory issue for me, being the first bike I ever had with a quick-shifter. After a few hundred miles I got used to it and always used a positive foot action every time.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
9 Posts
My quick shifter improved greatly after the first service calibration - my main problem before was false neutrals between 5th and 6th - after the calibration it was much smoother for all transitions and no more false neutrals. Before that it worked best under loaded acceleration.

There was definitely a muscle memory issue for me, being the first bike I ever had with a quick-shifter. After a few hundred miles I got used to it and always used a positive foot action every time.
That's great to hear. I had a quick shifter on my 2016 BMW1200RS and it worked flawlessly. I know it's not fair to compare a $9100 bike to a $22K bike but I still think I should be able to expect the shifter to work pretty well out of the box. Love the bike otherwise, especially with the tall PP screen taking some of the wind blast off my chest.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That's great to hear. I had a quick shifter on my 2016 BMW1200RS and it worked flawlessly. I know it's not fair to compare a $9100 bike to a $22K bike but I still think I should be able to expect the shifter to work pretty well out of the box. Love the bike otherwise, especially with the tall PP screen taking some of the wind blast off my chest.
Yea - I love mine, it's a great bike.

I added the tall PP screen too which I wrapped in fake carbon wrap and sprayed the back of it black to cut down on headlight glare.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
9 Posts
Wow! That looks great! Not sure my execution will be that good but I'm going to give it a try. While talking mods, I also installed a PP top case carrier to have as few more spots to tie down my dry bag on my commutes to work. It certainly gives me a little more square footage, doesn't look terrible and the bag isn't right up on my back but I'm still stuck tying one end off at the rear peg mounts so wasn't quite as helpful as I had hoped. Thanks for the inspiration for the screen!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. It was the first time I've ever wrapped anything so expected terrible results - it's not too bad though.

Just take your time, make sure it's clean of dust before you start then work out from the middle toward the edges using a spudger (any non-sharp plastic edged thing will work). Use a hair drier to gently warm the film to help it round the corners and don't be afraid to pull if back off in places and set it down again with tension to get any wrinkles out.

If you get any small bubbles and it's perforated film or has a slightly grooved backing like mine then small ones will work their way out easily enough.

I ended up trimming the film out of the mounting holes and the sides of the centre groove as the film didn't give enough (I think the expensive 3M stuff would stretch more).

The top-case carrier sounds like a good idea - I replaced my rear seat with the SW Motech seat rack and added a Givi tank ring to it - works for my small bag or without it for lashing things down.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
9 Posts
I like the rack and looked at a few before going back with a dry bag. Maybe if I can find a way to haul less crap back and forth to work I'll revisit it. Your bike has a nice look to it.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
9 Posts
One last question - Did you paint the edges of the screen or did you cover them with the wrap? I just got my supplies in and if I can free up this weekend, may give it a shot.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts