KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry, I fit the earplugs then put my helmet on. Took me a while to figure that out! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My bike does this when the temperature is cold. It revs up to 5000 then drops. Usually does 3 times and when it drops the 3rd time it shuts down!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They sure don't like cold starts it seems. I bought my Bike in Feb 2019 so went through one Qld winter without a problem. The ECU change was the start of the problem. You have my sympathy for the cold start issue with yours - that's worse than what I am experiencing. What do you have in mind to have the issue fixed? Cheers,

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think your dealer is correct when he says "they all do this" as it appears very common. I wonder if it is an unfortunate side affect of the new mapping which fixed the snatchyness, poor autoblipping and lean running of the initial config.
I'm not planning on getting it fixed.
I've had bikes in the past (zzr110 and dl650) that both did odd things when cold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OK, update time.

The Dealer got back to me and it's now suggested that they will swap out the injectors and spark plugs to see if that fixes the issue. Bike is booked in for Monday the 20th of January.

As it seems the issue is not uncommon I'll let you all know the result.

Cheers, Ken H.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Happened to me today, it was around 6-7Deg C outside, It wouldnt start at first, then I press the button again an it would start and jumps to 3-4k and shuts down. Started it again and it was ok. Bike doesnt like cold weather.
And sometimes even when the enigine is hot after bliping the throttle a bit the revs will drop below 1500 and it will stall. Started happening after my last service when they updated the ecu. New map is ****, but I was too lazy to go to the dealer to ask if they can put the old one in. May have to visit the dealer before warranty ends at the end of April this year to fix all this little issues :p

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
And sometimes even when the enigine is hot after bliping the throttle a bit the revs will drop below 1500 and it will stall.
Had that happen once on my last run too. After 10-15kms riding. But I could feel the engine was not 100% at ease - was lumpy at tickover too. Later on the lumpyness faded and the engine felt as it usually does. I had assumed this was the COOBER, but maybe not. :plain:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had weird start up behavior since the bike was new. I don't think it revs to 5k, but it definitely revs higher than I would like when starting a cold bike, and sometimes it surges and stalls. Usually on the second start, it acts like it should and warms up normally. Would be nice if KTM came up with a fix.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine does this too. It'll rev to 3k a few times and then stall. On the second attempt it runs perfectly. This tells me that it's a software instead of a hardware issue, so I'm not concerned about it.

·
a d m i n .
151,032 Posts
Mine does this too. It'll rev to 3k a few times and then stall. On the second attempt it runs perfectly. This tells me that it's a software instead of a hardware issue, so I'm not concerned about it.
Welcome, Tach! :smile_big:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK. I rang the Dealer on Wednesday as I had not heard from them. The Injectors were replaced on Monday. Assume plugs also. They checked the starting on Tuesday (cold motor) and no over-revving - yay!

Re-set (or whatever they call it) the ECU then waited until Wednesday morning and the bike started with no problems. In view of this they said the bike was OK to be collected.

When I arrived it transpired that one of the guys gave it one more test-start and it went straight to 4,000 rpm. They had rung me but I was on the loan bike by then and my phone was in my backpack so I didn't get the call. Rode home dejected. The Workshop Manager said he would contact the Techie at the Importers again, tell them no-go on the Injector swap. He also said he would video the bike starting/revving (on Thursday morning) and send that to them also.

Back to square one. I reminded him this issue only occurred after they had swapped out the ECU (as mentioned in my earlier post). Despite me having pointed this out at least 3 times previously he said "Oh, good I'll let them know, it might be important" It seemed to me that he did not know about this - obviously didn't listen when I mentioned it previously.

BTW - the Injectors that were installed are a different size from the originals, this being per the Techie in Australia who got the advice from the Factory boffin. As it didn't correct the problem I didn't ask if they were smaller, larger etc.

I surprised myself by being calm during all this - I did reiterate that the starting behaviour was abnormal for any bike and unacceptable to me. If they ultimately can't fix this then they can have the Bike back, refund me and I'll buy something reliable instead.

Stand by for the next exciting episode (this will be after many days go by, they fail to ring me and I end up ringing them again).

Ciao,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
One week later: Dealer rang me on Wednesday (yesterday) to advise all computer bits have been reset and the bike is now back to brand new in ECU terms (my description, not theirs) - this being KTM's recommendation. They had cold started it a few times and no over-revving evident.

I have picked the bike up and left it sit overnight. Started it today and it did not over rev. Initially sat on 2,000 rpm then dropped down to an indicated 1,500 rpm. All good in that respect.

On the way home yesterday I did note that:-

* On two occasions I dropped it into neutral at red lights, let out the clutch and it stalled. It was obviously not in neutral as indicated by the green "N" light on the dash. That issue did seem to settle down on the ride home and has not recurred.

* The gear indicator is out of action (other than the N for neutral indicator. The 6 gears do not show on the dash at all.

* The quick shifter was very smooth previously but now is so badly set up I haven't used it. Auto blipper (downshifting) is more harsh than before and I could live with that except I know it can be better.

I rang the Dealer and told them about these things when I got home yesterday.

I want to try another cold start tomorrow morning and if all is OK with that I'll ring the Dealer again and book it in for the gear indicator matter and a fine-tuning of the QS.

Bike is near 7,000 klm now and as I had always intended to have an oil and filter change at around 7,500 klm I'll have them do that whilst they have it.

As usual I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, the new Injectors &/or whatever else they have done has made the fuelling less snatchy so that's good.

Prost.

Reactions: J D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my bike do the same after my 15k Service.
Started to do it more (rev higher at initital start) when the weather got Hot too.

But what worked for me was starting it and cutting the engine off immediately then starting it up again straight after.

What worked for me might not work for everyone but try it.

And of course thats just a band aid to the problem. It's just that the bike runs lean and has a minor airleak which is hard to troubleshoot. Making sure your air filter is clean and oiled properly and all seals are fitted tight around the exhaust. Hope it helps for anyone in future with same problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've had mine do this once in the fall, it lasted a few minutes. I don't remember the details but I'll have to note them if it happens again.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts