KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to finish (god willing) installing the rs22 full exhaust tonight and wanted to know if it would be ok to give it a test ride before I throw on the A/R tune.

Also why the **** do European companies have to over engineer ****. I shouldnt have to remove my kick stand to get to a bolt on the Cat nor have to remove the front sprocket cover to achieve this....but of course to get the sproket cover I have to remove the fucking shifter/footpeg rearset. My fz09 was so much easier to work on I swear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope all goes well with your fitting .

Found the engine characteristics of this particuliar twin quite peculiar ..

Loads of threads on types of exhaust / kits etc ....different stages of tune available..

But remember this engine has balancer shafts & unusual high crank / camshaft design firing order

Exhaust performance is an art & involves lots of additional work design to ensure fueling/noise/ back_pressure etc all work together.

The standard exhaust is in fact very efficient & other non factory systems normally require additional steps to help them work.
Be it ECU remap,fuel injection,de_cat restrictions,etc etc .

So many things to achieve .so be wary of riding (full on ) untill you sure all the factors the manufacturer of your exhaust insist on are indeed correct.
( Minimum check spark plug colour to ensure fueling will not damage valves in first instance or pistons due to incorrect combustion )

It is worth noting that .
Indeed the only way KTM could increase the overall bhp was to up the cc ,redesign the internals of the engine & call it an 890 !

·
Registered
843 Posts
Indeed the only way KTM could increase the overall bhp was to up the cc ,redesign the internals of the engine & call it an 890 !
I would add - WITHOUT AFFECTING EMISSION REGULATIONS. I'm sure KTM could get 100bhp out of it if they wanted - but if it can't be registered on the road - why bother?

Whilst there could be claims that COOBER is biased - They have been heavily involved with the R&D of the 790/890 engines. They put out a statement on Facebook - sorry I don't have the link. Makes it very clear that KTM will know if you run decat. They show photos of burnt valves and such.

Use the TUNE - and go and thrash it. Because tentative operation decatted and even with teh tune will do MORE damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts