KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you are removing the clutch cover and inspecting and cleaning the oil nozzle which needs to be patent to shoot a stream of oil on the wet clutch system. What is the cause of oil nozzle blockage? Is it too much loctite-- and describe measures you take to prevent this with your own loctite application when refitting/ reassembling clutch apparatus, nozzle, etc? Also, I am doing my first service myself-- but wondering if there are software updates that dealer needs to load given I just got the 2019 790 Duke on 12/27/19. Did yours bikes need or get software updates in addition to dealer scan for faults. Regards

·
Registered
111 Posts
My dealer said he did on my first service. I wish the service manual had an actual picture of the nozzle itself.

I'm also curious how you apply the loctite but also ensure it doesn't block the hole in the thread.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Humm, your bike is fairly new so I’d be surprised that the oil would get smudgy so kick to the point of blocking an oil pass. If it’s really block it might be a piece of metal(my 2 cents guess) maybe blow air in it ??.
As for the software I’m at 1.02, is that the most recent one ???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Humm, your bike is fairly new so I’d be surprised that the oil would get smudgy so kick to the point of blocking an oil pass. If it’s really block it might be a piece of metal(my 2 cents guess) maybe blow air in it ??.
As for the software I’m at 1.02, is that the most recent one ???
It's supposed to be checked on the first service

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's supposed to be checked on the first service
CEB936E0-E199-4B93-813B-AA50119E2413.jpeg
I didn’t know that !? I have done my first oil change by myself and i can tell you that was some metal chip all over the magnets and screens.
how much does it cost for first service ? Oil, filter, man hours, gasket(if they remove the cover)....etc?
would you know of any other unusual(to me) things that they do on that first service?
Sorry is just that I’m use to old bike that don’t have these fanciers technology inside !!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
View attachment 4210
I didn’t know that !? I have done my first oil change by myself and i can tell you that was some metal chip all over the magnets and screens.
how much does it cost for first service ? Oil, filter, man hours, gasket(if they remove the cover)....etc?
would you know of any other unusual(to me) things that they do on that first service?
Sorry is just that I’m use to old bike that don’t have these fanciers technology inside !!!
My 1st service was $375 AUD. You do not need to replace the gasket when you remove the cover

This video is about the shift mechanism but shows how to disassemble the clutch too

Another vid showing the oil nozzle...kind of a pointless vid as it doesn't show you where it is!!

In the centre of the spline

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any ideas as to what tool to unscrew the oil nozzle. I doubt a simply screw driver will undo it without running the groove.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flat head screw driver it is. That is what KTM service technician told me today when I took bike in for software update. (I did the remainder of 620mile--first service minus the oil nozzle check/clean as I will be tackling that soon). Now I have version 1.02.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealership charged 43 USD for the software update, the only thing I had them do. Charged 0.5hrs labor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Clutch oil nozzle , recommended but not required in the first service, and others.

I have two quotes for the first service, with or without cleaning the clutch oil nozzle.

I have not found a definitive answer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told it was capped pricing. Did you get a discount as part of the deal?
I'll go ahead and assume they didn't check the clutch oil nozzle.
Same thing: capped pricing First service: $179 for oil, filter, check everything as per manufacturer specs (I doubt it).
Plus no charge for updating the software (gear indicator wasn't working) and replacing output seal shaft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know it’s only $43 but I was under the impression software updates were covered under KTM warranty?
Maybe I got screwed? Small price but if its supposed to be free, then that ain't cool? Anyone knows definitively the answer--Are software updates free under warranty? Does KTM not pay dealership to do update under warranty?

·
Soopa-Mod
109 Posts
Maybe I got screwed? Small price but if its supposed to be free, then that ain't cool? Anyone knows definitively the answer--Are software updates free under warranty? Does KTM not pay dealership to do update under warranty?
You could call KTMUSA, (they don't often pick up, so leave a message, if not several), and wait for a return.

They DO NOT have an public email address, (sorry, but this is laughable to me).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts