KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 790 Duke with 2600miles has mild oil leak (not enough to drip onto ground). It seems to originate from seal or gasket between water pump on right front of bike and oil will run down onto front engine block and over that part of oil cover gasket. Any one have this? What is cause?

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are you sure it's oil?

The coolant breather pipe (visible in the second photo) points right at that area - it could just be road grime and dust collecting on any coolant that's misted down there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you sure it's oil?

The coolant breather pipe (visible in the second photo) points right at that area - it could just be road grime and dust collecting on any coolant that's misted down there.
That clamp has crud on it, but not much above that. Clean it all and monitor the leak.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dma is correct. Don't overlook the radiator overflow bottle tube. The design on this bike allows for coolant puking out that tube under braking and if tank is on upper level. Did on mine until I routed hose differently and lowered level in tank. Worth a look

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good comments so far. Appreciate the help guys. I will take another look tomorrow. I didnt think about coolant. I thought it was oil just because it was dark but I see what you all mean in that dust collecting on coolant could give this appearance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure it's oil?

You got right. Went to dealership, and technician said its antifreeze collecting road grime and antifreeze coming from drain hose. Wow, you guys are incredible. Thank you all who have commented.

·
Registered
359 Posts
No worries mate - I knew it wasn't anything serious so didn't want you to worry too much!

Give the bike a clean now and again - it's a good opportunity to get to know the little details.

·
Registered
155 Posts
5BA54B4B-54C1-4AF1-9C1B-959F0ECB4D24.jpeg
Mine as the very same issue and it is at the dealer right now. In my case i do not think that it’s the over flow pipe as I already hade the issue and fix it by re-routing the that little pipe higher. I cleaned it a few times and it is very hard ti find where it’s coming from as the wind spread it. I’m sure that it isn’t coolant. It may be coming from the pan gasket or as some experienced porous casting ? I will soon know

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 6442 Mine as the very same issue and it is at the dealer right now. In my case i do not think that it’s the over flow pipe as I already hade the issue and fix it by re-routing the that little pipe higher. I cleaned it a few times and it is very hard ti find where it’s coming from as the wind spread it. I’m sure that it isn’t coolant. It may be coming from the pan gasket or as some experienced porous casting ? I will soon know
Okay, porous casting? Please keep me posted at what they say. I hope yours gets resolved in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
359 Posts
View attachment 6442 Mine as the very same issue and it is at the dealer right now. In my case i do not think that it’s the over flow pipe as I already hade the issue and fix it by re-routing the that little pipe higher. I cleaned it a few times and it is very hard ti find where it’s coming from as the wind spread it. I’m sure that it isn’t coolant. It may be coming from the pan gasket or as some experienced porous casting ? I will soon know
Are you sure? It looks like there's a large drop of coolant on your exhaust right there.

If it were me I'd do the taste test on my tongue to check - it's sweet, but poisonous(!) so rinse thoroughly and don't swallow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are you sure? It looks like there's a large drop of coolant on your exhaust right there.

If it were me I'd do the taste test on my tongue to check - it's sweet, but poisonous(!) so rinse thoroughly and don't swallow.
Hahaha i knew that someone here would see that, I had just washed the bike and it wasn’t all dry yet so that drop that you see is only water not coolant. And if you look you will see my finger print too. It smells like oil, I do know that coolant taste sweet. I’ve been doing mechanics for long time but I still have a lot to learn yet.
I cleaned it a few times already (every 500-800km or so)and it is very hard to see where it is coming from. I tried once throw flour at it and it still wasn’t clear. I’m can’t wait to here from theme as I really don’t like having my baby in there hands 😟

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh well, hope the dealer can diagnose the issue for you @Pat rides.
We have been racing a 790 for two years. The leakage you are seeing around the water pump, exhaust, and the front case is because the hose clamping devices they use "suck"!!! The one hose towards the top of the head cover is one of the big offending areas for leakage and it will drip down the front of the engine.... You can probably see it looking just above the radiator from the front. Pull off all of the clamps and use traditional hose clamps on all hose connections. The hoses are fine... they are not porous. Replacing the hose clamps solved the problem on our end. Worth re-checking tightness after you have some heat in the hoses.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have been racing a 790 for two years. The leakage you are seeing around the water pump, exhaust, and the front case is because the hose clamping devices they use "suck"!!! The one hose towards the top of the head cover is one of the big offending areas for leakage and it will drip down the front of the engine.... You can probably see it looking just above the radiator from the front. Pull off all of the clamps and use traditional hose clamps on all hose connections. The hoses are fine... they are not porous. Replacing the hose clamps solved the problem on our end. Worth re-checking tightness after you have some heat in the hoses.
Thanks for taking the time to delineate further. You comments and @dma show the value of a forum community. I hope I can contribute like you guys some day

1 - 14 of 14 Posts