KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading my 2019 suspension.

Looked at other brands, but found US distributor with good discount. Contacted Ohlins tech support to confirm all parts needed including springs for my weight and full leathers.

Rear shock installed in less than hour. Working on forks now with one down and one to go. Also installing KTM billet triple tree while everything is apart.

Parts needed for KTM 790

Rear Shock
- p/n KT790 (remote reservoir model)

Fork Cartridges
- p/n FKS513 (spring kit sold separately)

Spring Kit
- p/n 08423-80 (rider weight plus full gear 110 kg plus)
- p/n 08423-70 (rider weight plus full gear 70-100 kg)
- p/n 08423-60 (rider weight full plus full gear 50-70 kg)

Fluids
- 01309-01 Fork oil (tech spec'd 2 bottles; however looking like one 1 suffice and have spare for fluid change next time)

Steering Bearing Kit
- All Balls Tappered rollers. (Yet to verify correct one, but research indicates correct one)
- p/n AB221026

Posting progress and results after completion

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If ordering Ohlins with contacting their support to confirm your ordering correct part numbers and no change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got suspension done on front end. Mounted upper triple tree, but my research was wrong on All Balls p/n I posted above will not work. Have ride in 4 days so could wait on other option. Lower triple will have to wait. Far as I know billet TT has no change in rake

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Very interested to hear more when you reach some conclusions. Was eyeing the same setup FKS513/KT790, but reluctant to pull the trigger due to price ($2.5K installed?).

Thought about the Andreani cartridges. Not Ohlins, but also half the price. read some good things about them. So far, bike is great for street use. Might have some more insights when I finally get to the track.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Very interested to hear more when you reach some conclusions. Was eyeing the same setup FKS513/KT790, but reluctant to pull the trigger due to price ($2.5K installed?).

Thought about the Andreani cartridges. Not Ohlins, but also half the price. read some good things about them. So far, bike is great for street use. Might have some more insights when I finally get to the track.
I found the suspension really good on the track, and pretty dam good on the road. Im 75kgs, so id say I'm in the target weight for the stock suspension. 85 plus kg riders may find the spring rates a little light.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I found the suspension really good on the track, and pretty dam good on the road. Im 75kgs, so id say I'm in the target weight for the stock suspension. 85 plus kg riders may find the spring rates a little light.
I’ve got ohlins rear and andreani in the front and although for me the stock front felt too soft it’s the first time I’ve ever had the suspension changed and wondered if it was money well spent?
Maybe testament as to the stock units being good, I would have still tried something with the front though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’ve got ohlins rear and andreani in the front and although for me the stock front felt too soft it’s the first time I’ve ever had the suspension changed and wondered if it was money well spent?
Maybe testament as to the stock units being good, I would have still tried something with the front though.
i was out riding back country roads with mates on 939SP and a Nuda R, both with top line Ohlins suspension, both with more power, all equal (fast road riders) and the 790 lacked nothing in the suspension department, and when looking at tire wear, the 790s tires were beautifully smooth even wear, the other bikes had a rougher wear pattern, almost cold tearing, the guys were very impressed with the 790 performance, and its stock suspension. But as i said I'm probably in the bikes target rider weight. (70-85kgs). KTM have done a great job on the 790 suspension, first its in a budget window, but they got it right..........(for me)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed, I believe the suspension is perfectly adequate.

I'm notorious for throwing money at bikes for even the slightest perceived flaw but the suspension on this one hasn't raised any red flags at all.

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
Great input, guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently installed Ohlins Fork Cartridges and and the fully adjustable Ohlins Shock. Expensive mod but awesome addition to the bike. The bike absorbs the bumps much better but it is still firm and feels like it should have from the factory. Handles much better and now has adjustability to set up for track or canyon riding. The suspension feels great around town as well! Can never go wrong with Ohlins! Thanks Mike at Kyle Racing in California for all his support and help!

Also for anyone looking for really good braking power I installed the SBS RS sintered pads. What a difference worth every penny! The part number for the SBS pads is 706 RS Street and Track Day Brake Pad. About $45.00 per caliper. I bought the suspension components from KYLE Racing in California.

This is by far my favorite street bike and I have ridden a lot of bikes in my time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would like to hear more opinions of those who installed either the ohlins or Andreanis upgrades. Is it worth the $$$$ ??

·
Super-Moderator
682 Posts
For the price, the Andreani is great. One of the other threads is discussing the WP Apex cartridges, same as installed by Evans. Price seems to be similar to the Andreani. Ohlins in more expensive and will cost well over $1K installed with springs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would like to hear more opinions of those who installed either the ohlins or Andreanis upgrades. Is it worth the $$$$ ??
I’ve got the Andreani front and Ohlins rear and it’s a major change. For the better:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts