KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, adventures are taller, heavier and more expensive and not all that capable when you are 5'8" 155 lbs and like to ride alone. I got my Duke mostly for commuting after I kept destroying top ends on the 690/701 Enduro's flawed SOHC motor. I got it for $9500 brand new OTD with CA 9.25% taxes. I think the bike portion was under $8k! For commuting the Duke is really easy to live with.

Normally my wife and I take our dirt bikes off-roading but we recently strapped the 790 to the back of the camper van and had to do some dirt/fire/unimproved roads and I would have had a lot more fun with some ds tires and knowing that a tip over wouldn't easily strand us. If I can put ~1k into it and make it a 70/30 scrambler/enduro style bike it'd be pretty rad for what I use it for.

When I did 18 months through South America I took a modified 690 Enduro which afforded me options to take harder routes and ride places like Huachachina sand dunes 2015-07-29_Huacachina_210175734.jpg where I don't think I would have felt comfortable on a bigger ADV bike. I think the 690/701 Enduro is the perfect size for me but I owned both the 690 and the 701 and would go through a cam shaft and set of rocker arms every 10k miles.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hello barbagris,

This photo you’ve posted has inspired me to do something similar to my 790. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find many of the mods i see in the photo, even after much searching. I was wondering who this person is and if they are active on the forum perhaps they’d be willing to share which aftermarket parts they’ve added?

cheers!
This is what I was sent. Came off facebook I think - I do not do facebook.

I have adopted the same screen - lowered pegs from M&W - Bar raisers off Amazon.
Givi Crash bars (with extra homemade sliders).
Rad protection from IBEX and will be getting the IBEX sump protector.
I would leave rear pegs on as they are efficient crash protection! - I did!.
I run road rubber though. As I seldom go off road. See a fair amount of fairly poor tarmac though.

If you plan to ride in the wet and cold. BarkBusters Blizzard work well

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
No one wants to admit it, but those ADV’s are tall motos, not a good fit, for some here.
I'll freely admit it. The 790D is about as high as I'd go and tbh only because it's light. But it's also WAY cheaper.
But another thing. I tried several "adventure bikes" and find I DO NOT LIKE the frame fixed screen arrangement most have.
I have ridden with many frame faired bikes and there are pros and cons. Overall I find they reduce forward vision and this can be an issue on bad surfaces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what I was sent. Came off facebook I think - I do not do facebook.

View attachment 5545

I have adopted the same screen - lowered pegs from M&W - Bar raisers off Amazon.
Givi Crash bars (with extra homemade sliders).
Rad protection from IBEX and will be getting the IBEX sump protector.
I would leave rear pegs on as they are efficient crash protection! - I did!.
I run road rubber though. As I seldom go off road. See a fair amount of fairly poor tarmac though.

If you plan to ride in the wet and cold. BarkBusters Blizzard work well
Awesome, thanks for this!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts