KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but I've been wondering if anyone knows how feasible it would be to bolt on an Adventure-like suspension (Xplor Pros, for example) to the 790 Duke.
Would it need a new triple tree, or would it simply not be possible to change out the front suspension?

I realize the frame probably wouldn't be able to handle real off-road use, but maybe lighter use like fire roads and rough ground.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
165 Posts
Good question. I have been wondering the same thing. Even the addition of suitable off road tyres may be of interest.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We have a Finnish member on here who's ridding fire trails etc on a standard duke.

Whilst the 790ADV is obviously made for going off road. It is (imo) a big price premium. And I do NOT like that "faring". I do however love the BIG low slung tank.
It's actually the bike I was looking at but the Duke I bought was about 1/2 the price.

You can CHEAPLY raise the bars, drop the pegs. Add off road 17" rubber.

This is not my bike - but....

·
Registered
165 Posts
They make a bike for that..
Yeah there are a lot of adventure bikes around but I don't need 200mm of suspension travel or a 880mm seat height. It is more of a "scrambler" mod I would be looking at (similar to the above) just to be more competent on gravel roads. And as stated above the 790 adventure is way more expensive. Even the very underwhelming Ducati Desert Sled is way more expensive than a new 790.
My biggest concern is that even putting a higher profile front tyre (120 90 17) on would screw up the electronics but I am not a bike mechanic/engineer so don't really know.
More feedback to this thread (by those who might know) would be great.
PS. I love my current one so it would be nice to have 2 in the garage. :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm half way there - Actually it's only the tyres I haven't done. But then I don't plan to go off road much.

I'd just fit trailrider (Mud and Snow) type tyres. 120/70R17 are available.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
127 Posts
The truth is that every motorcycle is an "Adventure"bike.
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
77 Posts
good thing is the 790 has great ground clearance for a sporty bike. Get trail tires in the same sizes and get height adjustable suspension if you want and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I I was really going off road (even tracks) - I'd get a good sump guard.
IMO the SW-MOTECH one pictured on Sylvia's bike is NOT good enough. It does not protect the sump rear or the collector very well.
I have not looked THAT hard - but I am toying with the IBEX ZIEGER.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Up front, it's your bike so mod it however you like & yeah, just about any bike can be a dirt road/gravel explorer.

But with that said, before I'd throw good money at trying to substantially mod a Duke into a full-on ADV/DS bike, I'd use that same cash for a used KLR, DR, or similar bike. They're ubiquitous, cheap, reliable, and plenty capable as-is. Adding one keeps your great street bike a great street bike.Your Duke's steering geometry that makes it so agile on the pavement may not be your friend at speed off pavement when things get loose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
True enough.
I already have a KLE 500. A nice little twin with power equal to the DR650 I had before it and much smoother. Problem is when I get off the Duke (or RC8) it feels SO under powered. Most of my gravel road exploring requires at least as many sealed road Kms as it does gravel so it gets pretty frustrating taking that big step back in power.
I hear what you are saying about the geometry but come summer I will get out and do some experimenting and see how it feels. I think dropping the forks in the triple clamps and putting on a higher profile front tyre (if I can) may help on the gravel.

Up front, it's your bike so mod it however you like & yeah, just about any bike can be a dirt road/gravel explorer.

But with that said, before I'd throw good money at trying to substantially mod a Duke into a full-on ADV/DS bike, I'd use that same cash for a used KLR, DR, or similar bike. They're ubiquitous, cheap, reliable, and plenty capable as-is. Adding one keeps your great street bike a great street bike.Your Duke's steering geometry that makes it so agile on the pavement may not be your friend at speed off pavement when things get loose.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I think dropping the forks in the triple clamps and putting on a higher profile front tyre (if I can) may help on the gravel.
I think better steering LEVERAGE will be the first must. Higher/wider bars!.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Higher bars may be helpful but I have never had a problem with lack of leverage. Everyone is different though I guess.
The wider they are the further you have to move them for the same input. Not so good for someone like me with short arms.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a Finnish member on here who's ridding fire trails etc on a standard duke.

Whilst the 790ADV is obviously made for going off road. It is (imo) a big price premium. And I do NOT like that "faring". I do however love the BIG low slung tank.
It's actually the bike I was looking at but the Duke I bought was about 1/2 the price.

You can CHEAPLY raise the bars, drop the pegs. Add off road 17" rubber.

This is not my bike - but....

View attachment 4978
Hello barbagris,

This photo you’ve posted has inspired me to do something similar to my 790. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find many of the mods i see in the photo, even after much searching. I was wondering who this person is and if they are active on the forum perhaps they’d be willing to share which aftermarket parts they’ve added?

cheers!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello barbagris,

This photo you’ve posted has inspired me to do something similar to my 790. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find many of the mods i see in the photo, even after much searching. I was wondering who this person is and if they are active on the forum perhaps they’d be willing to share which aftermarket parts they’ve added?

cheers!
Don't know who owns that bike, you might find a few things here.....
Rottweiler

·
Registered
304 Posts
@2and4wheels I am not the person you are looking for... but I believe the crash bars are R&G Adventure Bars in orange.

The front tyre looks like a Continental TCK 80, the rear a Continental TCK 70.

The screen is a PUIG.

The hand guards / brush guards could be anything (BarkBusters?) - but as I see the are dual mounted (i.e. secured at both ends) they have probably been modified to fit as I am not aware of any off the shelf guards that fit the Duke 790 this way.

There is an exhaust shield (or two) on there as well - probably comes with some rack for soft rear bags though I am unsure which.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas!

Most crucially I am having trouble finding hand guards that work. I think bar risers might give me more options but I've already wasted a good amount of money trying a few different options.

There are many engine guard options out there but I hadn't been able to locate the ones pictured here. So thanks for the link!

I found this interesting looking skid plate - KTM 790 890 Duke Yr 18-20 Zieger Bug Motor Protection Unterfahrschbutz Silver | eBay

·
Registered
304 Posts
@2and4wheels - the hand guards do look suspiciously like Barkbusters EGO-001 - you may bee to fettle the inner bar fixing though to work around the clutch perch / brake master cylinder.

If you look at the fitting kit for the 790 Adventure model you will see the L-shaped adapter piece they use. That model isn't listed for the plain 790 Duke though - maybe clearance is more of an issue.

Clearly it is possible to fit guards very much like the EGO-001 ones though as the photo above shows - just need to be inventive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

I think I may need to get different levers and either new front blinkers and/or bar risers. But those EGO-001 seem like they are worth a shot.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts