KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of days ago I was out for a longer ride to where the engine got pretty hot, probably the longest ride since I have had the bike. Being new, I am still in the break in process. I haven't really laid into it yet, I try not to punish my bikes. Yesterday when I came home I noticed some black drips under the bike and thought it was oil. When I touched it I realized it wasn't, it seems to be some of the mastic gasket material. I think the engine got hot enough to melt some excess gasket material which seemed to drip down. I plan on taking it out again and seeing if it continues. I will have my 600 mi maintenance soon and will address with the shop then, but has anyone experienced this? Perhaps they used to much when assembling the engine?

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it wasn't that far forward. My hoses sit right above the oil filter port. This appeared to be well behind that. I think they went a little heavy with the gasketing material around the bottom of the case. This stuff was like a coagulated gel....if it was oil, I have never seen oil do that before.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I saw that on a demonstrator model that I rode before buying. On the one I bought after the 160 km delivery trip home, there was a slight weep of gasket sealant from one place on the horizontal crankcase joint. Wiped it off with solvent and it never reappeared. Perhaps it needs a bit of sustained heat to cure and the excess weeps off?

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that on a demonstrator model that I rode before buying. On the one I bought after the 160 km delivery trip home, there was a slight weep of gasket sealant from one place on the horizontal crankcase joint. Wiped it off with solvent and it never reappeared. Perhaps it needs a bit of sustained heat to cure and the excess weeps off?
I think you are right. I haven't seen it again after I wiped it. I think it was the sealant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts