KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Kiwi3 synced up with RaceChrono and RaceRender and I'm able to get fantastic videos with:
  • Speed
  • RPM
  • Throttle position

I'm also able to get some data on lean angle etc. via my phone's GPS but the precision isn't great.
Sky Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer

However, I'd really like to get front brakes pressure and gear into my videos. Has anybody figured out how to do this on an 890 Duke R?

The best lead is this thread about the SuperDuke Results from hacking the KTM SuperDuke 1290 CAN bus
which identifies a few CAN bus PIDs on a 1190 Adventure

• Throttle position: ID_hex_120 / ID_dec_288, byte 3
  • Gearbox & clutch position: ID_hex_129 / ID_dec_297, byte 1
  • Front break force: ID_hex_290 / ID_dec_656h, byte 1/2
  • Rear break force: ID_hex_12B / 299h, byte 3/4

Have folks been able to access CAN bus PIDs on their 890R via bluetooth or gear+brake pressure some other way? What ODB2 dongle are you using?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That thread is what got me started with the Lontec adaptor and the Kiwi3. Unfortunately even on that thread, it doesn't look like folks have figured out the PID for front brake pressure (I don't think it's available via OBD2, you need to tap into the CAN bus) or gear (which should be available as a standard OBD2 pid but doesn't seem to actually work).

Anybody have luck getting brake force & gear logged?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks! That thread is what got me started with the Lontec adaptor and the Kiwi3. Unfortunately even on that thread, it doesn't look like folks have figured out the PID for front brake pressure (I don't think it's available via OBD2, you need to tap into the CAN bus) or gear (which should be available as a standard OBD2 pid but doesn't seem to actually work).

Anybody have luck getting brake force & gear logged?
I'll connect my diagnostic system to my 790 later today and see if there is a value for brake pressure. I won't be able to tell you the PID but I can tell you if it's a value that is logged

·
Registered
686 Posts
This rocks! So there data is out there... I just need to figure out how to stream it to a logging app. I guess you can't quite see what PID this is right? I probably need to get a CAN bus friendly adaptor.
Correct, I can't see anyway to see the PID but I might email Texa and ask them. You need to connect directly to the ABS module too

I connected my OBDLink MX+ and Track Addict wont even find it at all. I used the OBDLink app and it only sees the main ECU

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you get a chance, can you test if you can get the CAN bus PID ID_dec_656h (front brake force from above) to work as a custom PID via TrackAddict or RaceChrono?
I could not get the TrackAddict app to see my OBDLink MX+. Were you able to connect to it in the app?
I'll answer both of your questions, Fredaroony's first. So, yes, I was able to connect TrackAddict without any issues to my MX+ and see various "pre-approved" parameters without any issues.

To answer Threeinthemorning, I was NOT able to figure out how to add a PID in TrackAddict - maybe I was missing something.

However, I tried RaceChrono (free) on my Android and was able to capture brake pressure with ID 656. It's a little jumpy in real time, but the reading does change with applied brake. I'll have to check if it's possible to smooth things out or maybe just ignore the second decimal.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'll answer both of your questions, Fredaroony's first. So, yes, I was able to connect TrackAddict without any issues to my MX+ and see various "pre-approved" parameters without any issues.

To answer Threeinthemorning, I was NOT able to figure out how to add a PID in TrackAddict - maybe I was missing something.

However, I tried RaceChrono (free) on my Android and was able to capture brake pressure with ID 656. It's a little jumpy in real time, but the reading does change with applied brake. I'll have to check if it's possible to smooth things out or maybe just ignore the second decimal.
Weird, I tried several times to connect but it never showed up. Using a iPhone 13 but it works with the OBDLink app.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

FANTASTIC! Thank you both.

I'll go put in an order for an MX+. Does
also work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
FANTASTIC! Thank you both.

I'll go put in an order for an MX+. Does
also work?
Not sure what ID 129 is, but 297 works. First nibble, not byte is the gear number with neutral as 0. Second nibble is clutch position. But the clutch is just pulled in or out. Since I have QS+ I won’t be touching the clutch except for starting out and coming to a stop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
(Name changed)

For my previous post - I obviously wasn't thinking clearly. 0x129 = 297 decimal. 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, does anyone know what the CAN-bus PID for wheel speed is on for the 890? Decimal 299 does not seem to work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I got my MX+ and was able to get brake pressure and gear from the CAN bus! The only problem - at-least with RaceChrono, it looks like I can EITHER get ODB2 data (RPM, speed, throttle) OR CANbus (gear, brake pressure).

Is this what folks are running into? I guess I should be able to get all the OBD2 codes from the CAN bus if I configure them one by one right? Should it be possible to get both ODB2 and CAN data from one MX+?

·
Registered
686 Posts
So I got my MX+ and was able to get brake pressure and gear from the CAN bus! The only problem - at-least with RaceChrono, it looks like I can EITHER get ODB2 data (RPM, speed, throttle) OR CANbus (gear, brake pressure).

Is this what folks are running into? I guess I should be able to get all the OBD2 codes from the CAN bus if I configure them one by one right? Should it be possible to get both ODB2 and CAN data from one MX+?
Maybe it can only address one module at a time?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts