KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished with break in. Got standard factory motorex racing 10w50 from the KTM dealer for the first change. That said I bought bulk amsoil metric motorcycle oil 15w50 for future changes.

I live in California and never ride in below 50 deg F weather. As such, winter viscosity shouldn't be an issue unless I'm missing something. Need input on this

The 50 weight is identical to the factory viscosity.

Anyone use this yet? Opinions?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I ran MCF 10-40 religiously in a track bike. That bike put up with a lot of use and abuse.

Just dont put that metric stuff in a Harley (it'll ruin the threads😄

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just a word of warning - talk to your dealer about the oil KTM "allows". My dealer said that KTM has demanded oil samples/testing for certain warranty claims for engine failure. This isn't just the right weight, it's as specific as using Bel-Rey / Motorex. The most important factor is to use the right weight, however. I personally wouldn't sweat sticking with Motorex.

Two separate dealers told me this same thing while dealing with 2 separate blown motors on my 701 supermoto (a re-badged 690 SMC-R). For that reason I got the extended warranty when I bought the Duke and am limiting my performance mods and oil-selection in order to avoid risking any issues with the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a word of warning - talk to your dealer about the oil KTM "allows". My dealer said that KTM has demanded oil samples/testing for certain warranty claims for engine failure. This isn't just the right weight, it's as specific as using Bel-Rey / Motorex. The most important factor is to use the right weight, however. I personally wouldn't sweat sticking with Motorex.

Two separate dealers told me this same thing while dealing with 2 separate blown motors on my 701 supermoto (a re-badged 690 SMC-R). For that reason I got the extended warranty when I bought the Duke and am limiting my performance mods and oil-selection in order to avoid risking any issues with the powertrain warranty.
Fair Statement. If my motor blows up. I'll make sure to do an oil change before I take it in :). Seriously though, I respect and appreciate your warning. The motorex lubricant is still currently in the bike. So I'm good till the next interval change. I'll evaluate from there. Amsoil generally makes good products.

From a scientific side. I'm looking into the SAE J300 Standard for single weight oil to establish a profile qualifying viscosity vs temperature to compare and contrast the differences between the 2 winter weights.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
If KTMs are restricted to a particular brand of oil, then they have some re-engineering to do.

I never run Motorex beyond what KTM puts in at the factory. One of the first things I do is remove any Motorex stickers from the bike. It's just a big marketing deal between KTM and Motorex, no real technical reason other brands that meet the same specs should not be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just relaying information I was told. I think KTM would have a hard time making the brand issue stick in light of the magnuson-moss act. That said, it's a pretty easy conversation with your dealer to ask what they think you can/can't do. Like I said, I stick with the recommended weight (regardless of operating temps... which are usually pretty mild here in California) but not necessarily the brand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The manual calls for fully synthetic JASO T903 MA2 in 10W/50 weight. Their recommended supplier is MOTOREX, but as Michael mentioned, this is just a marketing deal. As long as the oil you're using meet the required specs, KTM cannot deny warranty work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just finished with break in. Got standard factory motorex racing 10w50 from the KTM dealer for the first change. That said I bought bulk amsoil metric motorcycle oil 15w50 for future changes.

I live in California and never ride in below 50 deg F weather. As such, winter viscosity shouldn't be an issue unless I'm missing something. Need input on this

The 50 weight is identical to the factory viscosity.

Anyone use this yet? Opinions?
In California the lower 15w rating wont be an issue, if anything the oil will get contaminated (with fuel) and sheared, to the point it's probably 10w or thinner. This is the pump-ability on cold start up affected with the lower rating here.

As for warranty, well, the little you tell em the better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anything the oil will get contaminated (with fuel) and sheared, to the point it's probably 10w or thinner. This is the pump-ability on cold start up affected with the lower rating here.
Interesting. Can you expand on this comment? I have always been told that synthetic base oils are designed at the higher weight (in this case the 50 weight) equivalent with viscosity thinners added to drop down to the winter weight.

In contrast, conventional oils have viscosity improvers that increase the base oil (which is thewinter weight viscosity) up to the 50 weight. That's why shear over time leads to more degradation of overall oil viscosity.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting. Can you expand on this comment? I have always been told that synthetic base oils are designed at the higher weight (in this case the 50 weight) equivalent with viscosity thinners added to drop down to the winter weight.

In contrast, conventional oils have viscosity improvers that increase the base oil (which is thewinter weight viscosity) up to the 50 weight. That's why shear over time leads to more degradation of overall oil viscosity.
Well, all engines get a little fuel in the oil, and it makes your oil thinner, so should make the lower rating (15w) lower. Thats how thin it is on a cold start up.
As for the upper 'W' ( how thick it is at full operating temperature), well all oil gets thrashed, becomes thinner, engines are supposed to cope with it.
The longer you leave your oil in there, the thinner it gets, the more oil you burn, less lubrication you get etc.

·
Top Speed guru
80 Posts
I'm running Top 1 Oil's XM-99 Moto 15W-50 fully synthetic. Never had any lubrication issues. Also in California. Currently temps here are mid to upper 90s and above.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Maxima has the Pro Plus+ at 10w-50. It is API SN and JASO MA2 compliant. Very good value. The Extra is at 15w-50.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
I use Castrol Power 1 10W50, which is API SL and JASO MA2. I used it in my 1290 SDR and in the 890. KTM only requires the JASO MA2 part.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts