KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the non-Kiwis on this forum, you might be interested in what it's like to ride in NZ as I've uploaded a whole load of photos of a recent 2000 km short tour to my blog with a bit of narrative.

There's nothing like NZ's south island for touring by bike but some mates and I were due to attend a conference in the lower north island late last month and decided to turn it into a tour of some of the north island's back roads whilst we were at it. I haven't toured for over 5 years and it was genuinely good for the soul. We had an absolute ball and were amazed just how little traffic there was on the roads in late summer if you pick the route with a bit of care. We also met some awesome people all the way round, from gas station attendants to cafe and motel staff and so on.

https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-green-badge-tour-part-1.html

https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-green-badge-tour-pt-2.html

https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-green-badge-tour-pt3.html

My Duke 790 turned out to be a really competent touring machine, travelling light. Have owned it for just on a year and it's turned out to be the perfect choice for this old fella - makes me laugh every time I throw a leg over it!

Cheers,

Geoff

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
549 Posts
Great job on all 3 parts Geoff - easy writing style and other than my fumbling to understand some Kiwi phrases it was an enjoyable read - you boys know how to tour!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great job on all 3 parts Geoff - easy writing style and other than my fumbling to understand some Kiwi phrases it was an enjoyable read - you boys know how to tour!
Thanks YL, it was great that the conference fitted in nicely. Next year, it's in the south island so I think a lengthy tour down south has to be on the cards before I get too old! :grin:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Geoff
Love NZ, especially the North Island. We were back packing/woofing there back in the mid nineties and had a whale of a time! Many fond memories and we met the nicest people too.
And John Britten what a man and what a bike - the story just took our breath away!
All the best
B

Reactions: Geoff

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Booney,
Glad you enjoyed your time in NZ. One of my friends here on the Coromandel Peninsula has woofers on his organic farm. I've seen the Britten race on many occasions including earlier this year. You can actually stay at John Britten's amazing house as part of it is open for bed and breakfast. A friend has stayed there and it has a lot of memorabilia of John.
Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great write up and pics, Geoff. NZ looks beautiful.
Steve
Thanks Steve - not as spectacular as your Spanish tour, that was sensational! I trust that the 790 behaved itself?

Take good care of yourself and your family with C-19. From what I read, it's hard to tell whether the UK authorities have really got a handle on it. Very much relieved that it's about 80-odd days since NZ had any community transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Geoff,
The trip to Spain was good but as you know I've followed your exploits from Coromandel for a while now and it's obvious you have a beautiful country to ride your Duke in. One of the things I took from my own trip was the total lack of traffic which makes things a whole lot more relaxed, and I'm sure you'd agree on that point from your own experiences.

Yes,it did. Have had a couple of oil leak issues lately but no issue on the trip (and my dealer just fixed them free of charge) so all good. The engine was superb on those roads. Just perfect amount of power for an old-timer like me.

They tell you they have a handle on it but when you read we have the 3rd highest death toll in the world then you have to wonder :unsure:. We just seemed (and sill are) so slow to react to everything. Example: back from my trip and whether you agree with the merits of face masks or not they have only just made an actual decision. Face masks were a matter of course in Spain and the people policed themselves with everyone respectful of each other. Of course, this was out in the country so can't comment on big city living.

Keep up the great work.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Geoff,
The trip to Spain was good but as you know I've followed your exploits from Coromandel for a while now and it's obvious you have a beautiful country to ride your Duke in. One of the things I took from my own trip was the total lack of traffic which makes things a whole lot more relaxed, and I'm sure you'd agree on that point from your own experiences.

Yes,it did. Have had a couple of oil leak issues lately but no issue on the trip (and my dealer just fixed them free of charge) so all good. The engine was superb on those roads. Just perfect amount of power for an old-timer like me.

They tell you they have a handle on it but when you read we have the 3rd highest death toll in the world then you have to wonder :unsure:. We just seemed (and sill are) so slow to react to everything. Example: back from my trip and whether you agree with the merits of face masks or not they have only just made an actual decision. Face masks were a matter of course in Spain and the people policed themselves with everyone respectful of each other. Of course, this was out in the country so can't comment on big city living.

Keep up the great work.
Hi Steve,
I noticed the absence of traffic in your photos and didn't know whether it was C-19 influenced, time of day or the fact you were patient with your shots! Yep, we're fortunate in that respect with under 5M people and an area roughly the size of the UK. Kiwis were pretty diligent in lockdown which is why we have minimal restrictions in the country now.

Reliability-wise, mine has been good too. I have a very small weep from the cam box gasket which I've sealed externally (and fairly tidily) until a service where clearances need to be checked. Apart from that, I just get on and ride it!

Take care....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts