KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've done it. Im generally very happy with the 790s suspension, but today i visited our Ohlins service centre to chat about shock options, well he had in stock the R1 Nitron and the R2 Nitron. Both nice. the R2 a couple of hundred more, but had better adjustments for Reb and Comp. I went for the R2, i pick it up tomorrow, but he didn't have a suitable spring for my weight, but he has some on back order. So tomorrow i shall pick it up and fit it. The WP shock is already sitting on the bench. Less than 15 mins to remove (so easy once bike raised) Stock shock is 130-160 through its progressive spring rate, and the spring fitted in the Nitron is somewhere in the middle, so will try it, but I'm thinking id like a softer set up (I'm 76kgs). i shall report back once fitted. PS Nitron shock looks classy.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Let us know how it feels. I am leaning toward that NTR3, which is available here through Fast Bike Industries. Black or blue spring?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know how it feels. I am leaning toward that NTR3, which is available here through Fast Bike Industries. Black or blue spring?
It had a dark greyish spring, not a fan of the blue.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heres the shock pre fitting. Well i got them to fit a softer spring. The stock spring rate is 130-160nm being a progressive spring, so i asked for a spring around the 130nm, they fitted a 750Fp (foot pounds, its an English shock) well it was perfect. I checked Sag. 40mm rider sag, 13mm free sag. Absolutely perfect for road riding on all road conditions. Test ride went great. Stopped set the rebound at 10 clicks out and then stopped and set the compression at 8 turns. Sensational. I love this shock, the 790 suspension was goodish before, its now fantastic. Ive now ordered through the shop on the the guys recommendation a Matris fork kit. Got to wait a month now. But so so impressed with the Nitron shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Too bad they don't have matching front cartridge kit for Duke 790, for this reason I still consider K-Tech set.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Too bad they don't have matching front cartridge kit for Duke 790, for this reason I still consider K-Tech set.
Can't see why these wouldn't pair well with Ohlins, Andreani, WP or any other available cartridge kit for the D790.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't see why these wouldn't pair well with Ohlins, Andreani, WP or any other available cartridge kit for the D790.
Absolutely. And also you see on many factory suspension set up. i.e. Showa forks Ohlins shock, or SACHs shock matched with a Mazocki forks etc. He told me about the Matris set up as he has been to their factory, and explained the extra internal workings that other makes don't have, it was something to do with the rebound on full extension. The guy is NZ guru like Dave whats his name?. it will come to me. But mix and matching brands front to rear is a common theme.

·
Registered
833 Posts
it was something to do with the rebound on full extension. .
I know Maxton also have a rebound top-out prevention spring inside the hydraulic part of the cartridge. And I have recently read somewhere of a hydraulic brake for this too. Might actually have been Matris tbh.

My local suspension guy fitted them for me (on my R3) and he was duly surprised and impressed. He had not seen this on any of the other "off the shelf" options.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know Maxton also have a rebound top-out prevention spring inside the hydraulic part of the cartridge. And I have recently read somewhere of a hydraulic brake for this too. Might actually have been Matris tbh.

My local suspension guy fitted them for me (on my R3) and he was duly surprised and impressed. He had not seen this on any of the other "off the shelf" options.
I think he said it had anti cavitation valve seats for when the fork is toped out. I can't remember if he ordered me the 20mm kit or the 25mm kit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also ordered Nitron R3 and K-Tech IDS cartridge kit :) Now need to wait with installation till service fix oil leakage...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts