KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, folk!

I am an owner a 2020 790D as of about 28 hours ago. I did not seriously plan on buying a bike 36 hours ago when I arrived at the first dealer, and did not plan on a 790D up until 45 minutes prior to signing the paperwork. I was considering a Ninja 650, MT-07, or a Svartpilen 701. The second dealer stop has a Husq/KTM dealer and I spied the Duke on my way out after I was disappointed with the ride height of the Husqy and I must say, I am damn happy with my purchase! I was impressed by all the tech, looks, its light weight, and power. This thing sounds pretty decent for stock, too.

I previously owned a GSXR600 for a few thousand miles and a 675 Daytona for approx 10k miles, and have been off a bike for about six years. The 25ish mile ride home was pure joy and I spent another couple of hours riding around town getting acquainted with the basics of riding, rapid stops, turns, etc. again and I am quite impressed by the maneuvarability of this bike. I think I may need to spring for a more ergo seat as my inner thighs are feeling it this morning, and I should work on adjusting the levers for better wrist/arm position.

I have picked this bike up to be my primary commute transport for a ~40-45 mile round trip ride but I will enjoy it in the twisties and track once I get the opportunity, too. I will likely consider an "advanced" riding school since I last took my MSF course in ~2010, was last on track (Thunderhill) in 2013, and I am due for the next level in riding skill polishing. Open to suggestions you fellow SoCalers may have. Also, I have picked up a tail bag of sorts and a keychain so far :ROFLMAO: but will follow closely on the various other modifications you all have, mostly function over form.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before you buy the ergo seat, try riding in different kit. My standard seat is more comfortable when I wear my Scott leather jeans than my Hood denim jeans. The denim jeans are fine for up to about an hour. I managed 6 hours, in 2 x 3 hour rides, one day last week, totalling 266 miles on country roads wearing leathers, with only minor arse ache.

As the 790 is mainly for local riding, I'll stick with the standard seat, at least for now.

Glad you like your 790. I love mine.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
You will totally love the Duke. Its the most fun anyone can have with their clothes on. Mine has only done about 1100 miles but is getting faster by the day. The easy handling and missile performance are incredible. You will need physio on your aching face muscles, due to excessive smiling. Enjoy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, fellas!

Before you buy the ergo seat, try riding in different kit. My standard seat is more comfortable when I wear my Scott leather jeans than my Hood denim jeans. The denim jeans are fine for up to about an hour. I managed 6 hours, in 2 x 3 hour rides, one day last week, totalling 266 miles on country roads wearing leathers, with only minor arse ache.

As the 790 is mainly for local riding, I'll stick with the standard seat, at least for now.

Glad you like your 790. I love mine.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will give this a try, and also recalibrate my position on the bike as I get used to it again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the ergo seat, and beyond being a touch taller, I really didn't feel that much difference - at least in the showroom. It may be a tad softer than the stocker but it still feels very firm, not always a bad thing, but with the upright riding position, a bit more plush would have been welcome. Looks nice, though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....and that didn’t take long! I noticed fresh fluid drips where I place her within my parking stall. Sure enough, there is a light coat of oil on the bottom of the pan. Good thing I already scheduled to visit the dealer tomorrow to exchange their loaner battery for my original (fully charged this time, I hope - she was DOA when I took delivery).

Also, thanks for the feedback katoom Bob!

·
Registered
44 Posts
....and that didn’t take long! I noticed fresh fluid drips where I place her within my parking stall. Sure enough, there is a light coat of oil on the bottom of the pan. Good thing I already scheduled to visit the dealer tomorrow to exchange their loaner battery for my original (fully charged this time, I hope - she was DOA when I took delivery).

Also, thanks for the feedback katoom Bob!
Have them check the o-rings in the oil filter housing. They are slightly different sizes and can get installed backwards. Happened to mine. Which So Cal dealer did you get it from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have them check the o-rings in the oil filter housing. They are slightly different sizes and can get installed backwards. Happened to mine. Which So Cal dealer did you get it from?
Thanks, I will mention it tomorrow. I picked it up from 3 Brothers Racing in Costa Mesa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Easy peezy fix! It was simply excess chain lube that collected from in the guard and began to drip with the heat. Original battery swapped in and 300 happy miles thus far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.