KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery last week of a new 890 R and am crushing the break in miles.

It's been a lot of fun so far. Not sure what 790 parts do or do not fit it though and have had a few issues.

• Yoshimura Tidy Tail = SUCKS... leaves crazy amounts of cables exposed snaking up into the bike. Going to have to get the Mustard Bikes one eventually. Really dissappointed.
  • It didn't come with grab handle not installed so pulled the bolts and tried to put them back in with the grab handle and couldn't get the inner/lower two bolts to sink in deep enough to thread... I might be missing something obvious or have to go shopping for longer bolts
  • Picked up read spool sliders and the M10 thread it was supposed to be wouldn't thread.
  • Front axle sliders from evotech seem too wide...
Think I may have just been having a bad day with too much sun as I tried to install these things. Been ordering items off of Rok Bagaros from now on.

Want to get rear sets eventually, a slip-on (maybe full exhaust & PCV later), have frame sliders on order, engine case sliders on order. Seems a lot of 890 parts are on back order.

And wow, those tires are beastly!

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts

It's been a lot of fun so far. Not sure what 790 parts do or do not fit it though and have had a few issues.

• Yoshimura Tidy Tail = SUCKS... leaves crazy amounts of cables exposed snaking up into the bike. Going to have to get the Mustard Bikes one eventually. Really dissappointed.
  • It didn't come with grab handle not installed so pulled the bolts and tried to put them back in with the grab handle and couldn't get the inner/lower two bolts to sink in deep enough to thread... I might be missing something obvious or have to go shopping for longer bolts
  • Picked up read spool sliders and the M10 thread it was supposed to be wouldn't thread.
Think I may have just been having a bad day with too much sun as I tried to install these things. Been ordering items off of Rok Bagaros from now on.

Want to get rear sets eventually, a slip-on (maybe full exhaust & PCV later), have frame sliders on order, engine case sliders on order. Seems a lot of 890 parts are on back order.

Yes. The wires on the tail tidy are exposed. But they tuck up out of the way. You can’t see them unless you get down under the bike to look for them. The fit and finish is excellent. But to each his own opinion. Good luck with your replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Grab handle fits with different(longer) bolts that should have been included with the bike. Check in the box that pillion seat/pegs was supplied in. Also bolts for pegs in there.

Always extra wiring when using original indicators, due to shorter tail length. Mustard tidy does have oem brake light connector though which is a plus, and evotech tidy is completely enclosed so a neater finish. Be aware of right indicator possibly melting due to exhaust gasses with both options on U.S. bikes.

Not sure how KTM works out their bolt thread/head sizes...most normal tools don't fit snug either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with the mustard bikes tail tidy. I wasn’t a fan of the yosh one because of the plate cover. Looks too bulky to me. The mustard bikes set up is really simple and easy to put on. The only pain was taking the hex screws off with no proper tools haha. I love it though. It looks great and no cables showing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the mustard bikes tail tidy. I wasn’t a fan of the yosh one because of the plate cover. Looks too bulky to me. The mustard bikes set up is really simple and easy to put on. The only pain was taking the hex screws off with no proper tools haha. I love it though. It looks great and no cables showing.
Seeing the Mustard kit it looked flush against the bottom. Pretty appealing for keeping that area clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Evo Tech spools has the correct threads that will work with the 790/890. As stated above their tail tidy has a really nice clean look also. These guys carry a good supply of KTM parts rottweilerperformance
Familiar with Rottweiler, build an RC390 track bike a few years ago. Going to give those spools another try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. The wires on the tail tidy are exposed. But they tuck up out of the way. You can’t see them unless you get down under the bike to look for them. The fit and finish is excellent. But to each his own opinion. Good luck with your replacement.

View attachment 6850
Think I'll take your lead first and tidy up the loose cables, live with it for awhile. I like that your rear blinkers are more slender, my OEM bulbs are a little big hanging out back there. Do you keep those passenger pegs on for an eventual pillion or as more crash protection? I left passenger pegs on other bikes to purposefully act as another crash protection layer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grab handle fits with different(longer) bolts that should have been included with the bike. Check in the box that pillion seat/pegs was supplied in. Also bolts for pegs in there.

Always extra wiring when using original indicators, due to shorter tail length. Mustard tidy does have oem brake light connector though which is a plus, and evotech tidy is completely enclosed so a neater finish. Be aware of right indicator possibly melting due to exhaust gasses with both options on U.S. bikes.

Not sure how KTM works out their bolt thread/head sizes...most normal tools don't fit snug either.
Weird, checked my bag and didn't see extra bolts. Did your KTM come with an owner's manual? Maybe they didn't give me the whole pile-o-parts, lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Think I'll take your lead first and tidy up the loose cables, live with it for awhile. I like that your rear blinkers are more slender, my OEM bulbs are a little big hanging out back there. Do you keep those passenger pegs on for an eventual pillion or as more crash protection? I left passenger pegs on other bikes to purposefully act as another crash protection layer.
See my INSTALL post.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I left passenger pegs on other bikes to purposefully act as another crash protection layer.
I'm undecided about the passenger pegs. Yes. They would protect the bike. So for the moment I'm leaving them on for that reason. I ordered the Hepco and Becker crash bars. With both in place I should be well protected from minor tip overs. Anything beyond that will either total the bike, or insurance covers it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can add the KTM passenger peg sliders if you are keeping the passenger pegs - they are really cheap and easy to fit (just need to remove a circlip and drift out a pin).

Installation photos here.

·
Registered
KTM 890 Duke R
33 Posts
Was planning to mount the passenger pegs for protection...till lifted them out of the box, they are really heavy so they went back in the box 😲 Should have been made in cast alu, would look better and weigh less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was planning to mount the passenger pegs for protection...till lifted them out of the box, they are really heavy so they went back in the box 😲 Should have been made in cast alu, would look better and weigh less.
Dude, same thing. Lifted them out and damn! Hard core pieces.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
126 Posts
Some rear stand bobbins come with M10X1.25 bolts to fit jap bikes. KTM uses M10X1.5 bolts. Had the same thing happen.
The 'binder' that they give you when you buy the bike has some extra hardware in it. I adked the dealer about it and they said they have no clue what it's for. Taking out the grab handle is option one.
The passenger pegs lasted about 15 minutes after I got home. Ugly heavy useless dead weight. Crash bars are for sissies and stunt riders. Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I got an Arrow slip on which sounds great. Lots of accessories seems to fit from the 790 including bobbins and bar end mirrors . Tires are awesome, took it to the track which really showed how good they are. Not sure how long they are going to last though! Enjoy👍

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
126 Posts
Call me a sissy then. **** happens and I’d rather scrape up the crash bars. Then I can pick the bike up and be on my way. Better then sitting as a passenger in the flat bed hauling my bike back home.
Nothing personal ..... 😉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts