KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Currently recovering from being knocked of my bike. Just going through candid negotiations with the insurance companie as to the salvage for the bike. As per usual with these things the company in question is not being very helpful. I am currently 61 years young and have been riding from the age of 6 when I was given my first bike. I ride with a group of like minded friends of which there are 4 KTM 1290 SDR's. The bike I was riding when I got knocked of was Bimota DB10 and is/was the best bike I have ever owned, however I need to repair it and replace it with a bike I can enjoy and put the miles on. Don't wish to join the 1290 club as they are to big and heavy. I have been spoiled by "Baby Bim" as I fitted carbon fibre wheels and weight saving modifications as a result the ready to ride weight was down to 150kg and power of 98bhp with 75 nm of torque, I know that 790 is named the scalpel! but that was the name I used to describe the Bimota. However I digress, would like to know what everyone on this forum thinks of their 790 and I have also read within this forum that there may a 790r coming out in 2020? Looks like it would probably have a lighter exhaust and few more trinkets? What is the bike like to live with and what are its vices. I usually go to Scotland twice a year riding the back roads around Inverness and the highlands and then once a year we try and fit in a trip to Europe and I average about 5000 miles a year. Any feed back from you chaps would be very much appreciated, thanks.

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
Hiya Glen, & welcome to the Group!

Bimotas are cool bikes for sure, I had my heart set on a Vdue years back, but they had some fueling issues, that could prolly be resolved wt today’s modern FI on 2 Strokers. Bimota pulled a bunch of cool engines to fill their chassis, had a local shop near me that was full of them all. Hope you’re not hurt from your situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was hurt ti the crash, I live in England and a car driver didn't stop at a junction and ran straight into me and the bike. When I woke up I was in an ambulance being moved the Salford hospital. After initial examination it was discovered that I had sustained a broken left foot, broken collar bone in two places, 9 broken ribs and a punctured lung. The accident was 9 weeks ago. My daughter lives in Toronto and we had arranged to go and see earlier this year. I am pleased to say that they allowed me to fly and I am currently enjoying a holiday with her and recovering in the Canadien summer. It is 05:30 here at the moment unable to sleep owing to the heat, life's tough eh. One of my friends has a Vdue and I have been looking at getting one as well, they are an interesting bike, having said that the Bimota that I have would still be my choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 790 Duke isn’t as bling as a Bimota, but is such a great bike out of the box with standard suspension, for me the only major change I will make in the next year probably, would be upgraded suspension.
Having had mine from new at the end of March & now up to 4300 miles, it is just fun every time I ride.
I was riding in Wales for 2 & a half days in May & one of my mates was on his 1290 Adv. (swapped from a 1290 Duke) & he wasn’t getting away on the Welsh roads 👍

I appreciate that I have come from old school VFR750 x 2, but for me this bike is mostly all I need & I can see that when I’m more used to riding it, a few changes will keep me happy for a long time.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that is just the sort of reply I am looking for. I know that the KTM will not be same as the Bimota they only made 33 of them and it is pretty unique in those 33 which is why I will buy back the salvage. Having said that to make the Bimota so unique to me I had to improve suspension with a Matris internals (they worked great) carbon fibre wheels (best improvement you can do). The KTM will be getting these as and when I jump across. Just going to recover at this moment but my mind is pretty well made up. Again thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome!
Would you ever consider going for something from Ducati?
I don't know much about Bimota's but it seems like they come close to Duc's.
Lately I noticed Ducati has been offering more naked bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts