KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Picked up my new 790 last night and have a ton of questions. Initial impressions from the test ride were very positive. Traded in a track-only Daytona 675R. Promoted a 2017 RSV4 RR to track duty. This is my new street bike. Love the engine. Very tractable, smooth, and strong. Flickable chassis. Comfortable at low speeds and really fun when the speed picks up. The wind blast on the highway is a drag (nyuck nyuck) but a really nice overall package. Also, very nice build quality.

Came to this forum to get ideas and learn from your experiences customizing your bikes.

Immediate mods:
  • mirrors
  • orange reservoir cap
  • orange sprocket

Considering the Rizoma Sintesi mirrors but I'd like to see them installed on the bike prior to plunking down the cash.

As soon as I can:
  • Akrapovic slip-on
  • LED indicators (recommendations welcomed)
  • tail tidy (recommendations welcomed)

- Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome! (I just got here myself - I pick up my bike in 2 days).

I might be able to help a little on mirrors. I had CRG brand (EXCELLENT) on my last bike. For this bike I picked up these to see if they were any good (much cheaper and look almost identical). I got them in the mail a couple of days ago and I am impressed, appear to be very solid:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Moto...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I also received an Evotech brand Tail Tidy and build looks very good. I liked it as you can choose red or clear brake light and shape of brake light fits overall look of 790 (IMHO). https://evotech-performance.com/products/ep-ktm-790-duke-tail-tidy-2018

If you look at the 790's sold in Europe they have ok indicators on them, the ones on the USA bikes are big and UGLY. I found what looks to be same ones as used in Europe and have these on the way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Turn-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cheers!

·
Top Speed guru
77 Posts
Hey Scott,
Whereabouts in northern Ca? I live in Auburn and will be getting mine in about a month coinciding with tax returns. Lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cali must be KTM heaven given the fact its home to bike and car culture, along with anything else you can find with an engine, wheels and somewhere to stick a human. However given the fact that conditions are ideal for sportier bikes, have you at least seen a good amount of KTM's around?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cali must be KTM heaven given the fact its home to bike and car culture, along with anything else you can find with an engine, wheels and somewhere to stick a human. However given the fact that conditions are ideal for sportier bikes, have you at least seen a good amount of KTM's around?
I've only seen one 790 in the wild. 1290s are everywhere. I have seen a few 390s (both kinds) at track days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Nor Cal rider here (SF). Welcome!

I would look at other slip on options before deciding on the Akrapovic (at least the original release). I had it installed after a couple weeks of driving around with the stock muffler, and, on balance, I'd say the stock muffler sounded better. Akra has a nice low rumble, but stock had more pops and crackles and just sounded more aggressive. The Akra looks better, however. There seem to be a a lot of slip on options now, so you should take a little time to read about them.

With respect to the LED indicators and tail tidy, I'm looking at the Yoshimura offerings, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Tail tidy here: https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/collec...inator-kit-070bg167900?variant=19549207363687. You can also buy it here: https://mnnthbx.com/product/yoshimura-fender-eliminator-for-the-18-ktm-790-duke/. This is the first option I've seen that is made for a US license plate. Yoshimura also offers front and rear LED indicators for the 790:https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/collections/all/KTM-790-DUKE-2019. Let me know what you go with, as I hope to upgrade soon.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
113 Posts
1290's go everywhere from what I noticed.
Some of the most remote areas i've seen have them and not only that but geared up to take on anything. Same goes for BMW's of its caliber, those big K liters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had to deal with a lot of backorders so it's been slow going but I have managed to accomplish some things.

Completed
  • Rizoma Sintesi mirrors
  • KTM powersports orange reservoir cap
  • Evotech Tail tidy
  • KTM powersports orange sprocket (purchased but saving for break-in service)

Back Order
  • Touring windscreen - 4/3
  • LED Indicators - 4/9

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had to deal with a lot of backorders so it's been slow going but I have managed to accomplish some things.

Completed
  • Rizoma Sintesi mirrors
  • KTM powersports orange reservoir cap
  • Evotech Tail tidy

Back Order
  • KTM powersports orange sprocket (purchased but saving for break-in service)
  • Touring windscreen - 4/3
  • LED Indicators - 4/9

·
Registered
51 Posts
those of you who bought in California, how much did you guys pay out the door?
Bought from CalMoto in Livermore about two weeks ago. ~$12500

CA taxes suuuuuuck. I got their last orange one though so I'm happy.

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Congrats Dude!!

I'm not in CA but I got mine for $12400 tax, tags, title, and extended warranty for an extra 7 years!

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Wuuuuuut? 7 years, wow!
Yea I asked that question twice and had to read all the warranty paperwork! Covers everything the KTM warranty covers. I was pretty floored! It was only an added $900, and since the dealer I found knocked the dealer costs off and gave me half price on the rest of the added costs, it was a no brainer. The other dealer near me quoted $1100 more and that rock bottom from what they could do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yea I asked that question twice and had to read all the warranty paperwork! Covers everything the KTM warranty covers. I was pretty floored! It was only an added $900, and since the dealer I found knocked the dealer costs off and gave me half price on the rest of the added costs, it was a no brainer. The other dealer near me quoted $1100 more and that rock bottom from what they could do.
:surprise:, Im truly happy for you!

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Welcome..!

Awesome that you have such a sweet Track-Bike as well!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts