KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

New Member from Northumberland UK

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  anotheronetoday 
G
#1 ·
I’ll be collecting a new 790 soon and am looking for tips and advice for upgrades and maintenance. Keep it rubber side down.

#3 ·
Hope the suns shines on collection day for you
My top tips of mods
PP mirrors - The standard ones looks cheap and vibrate
PP +20mm seat _ Improves comfort a lot
PP Heated Grips - enjoy those long rides even at this time of year
On the black 790 the graphics kit really livens it up
PP Roadlok - the neatest and most convenient disk lock
Akropovic with baffle removed gives a great sound track with great visual appeal.

#6 ·
Hi welcome , I am also still awaiting delivery of my bike, probably part of the same delivery as yours.
I was at the dealers today and they told me that delivery is now expected with them on Tuesday 9th.
I already have a load of stuff ready to fit to the bike.
Heated gloves are better than heated grips in my opinion, and you can use them on more than one bike. A must for UK all year riders.

#9 ·
I still have not taken delivery of the motorcycle yet ! Still awaiting the new bike delivery.
I had a bit off the price and I did consider another not local dealer who was selling one cheaper but they would not deliver to me or collect my part exchange so I ended up buying more local as it was not much different cost wise, and easier so sort any problems.
I have the evotech radiator guard and exhaust hanger, sw motech KOBRA handguards, bar risers, some pyramid plastics fenda extenders, ready to fit. Also ordered the KTM higher seat, belly pan spoiler and when they eventually make it the windscreen. So plenty.
I am not to obsessed with going to tune the bike for more power, if I wanted that I would have bought a Superduke instead.
Just tyres to consider changing, next, and maybe brake pads.
Incidentally sw motech make a lot the powerparts for KTM including their luggage. For example the small KTM fuel cap mounted micro tank bag is identical to a sw motech Evo micro bag (minus the KTM badge). KTM powerparts UK price £158.
SW motech Evo micro bag and tank ring fitting £88. So a significant saving for the same bag minus the KTM badge.

#10 · (Edited)
Welcome DaveS.hello again BugZHope youve both managed to get your 790,s.Seems like your already stocking up on your aftermarket goodies BugZ:)Seat definitely a good idea lot comfier.Still waiting for the screen to come out,KTM have been a bit slack and the 790 could do with one.The Maxxis tyres really arent that bad,people get the idea that Maxxis tyres are c..p but I dont really seem to be having any issues with them and a few of my mates swear by some of the other Maxxis models.
I will probably go for some Metzlers or Conti,s when the Maxxis wear out but I can live with them quite happily.
As anotheronetoday said the mirrors need a change and theres quite a few good bar ends out there that work pretty well.
Anyway hope you guys get your 790,s sorted while we still have a bit of decent weather!!Have fun.
Ride Safe:)

#11 ·
Hi OrangeRok, I shall be getting my hands on my 790 at last next Monday, pity the weather has turned wet but no surprise there.
I was also thinking of a pair of Barracudomoto mirrors if I have issues with the standard mirrors, they appear the same mirrors I had on my SMT & 690 which I just traded in which I did not have issue with.
Metzelers & Conti sport touring tyres are also on my next to be fitted tyre list.
Looking forward to some riding whatever the weather, I been off a proper motorcycle for a few weeks now, so looking forward to next week.

#12 ·
motorcycle addiction can be very painful, at least the running in speed on the 790 still allows for a lot of fun
If you really want to knock the running in quickly your welcome to a bacon sandwich and coffee ;-)
but a 400 mile round trip on the standard seat will give you the john wayne walk

#15 ·
new belgian member

Hello,

My name is Seppe 27years old and this is my first KTM I bought. Started riding on a kawa er6f and felt like it was time for a new and ''bigger" bike. Even though the ktm is lighter:angel:.
I am 6ft tall so orderd the 20mm taller comfort seat. Got the akra for free! And looking at the forum i will remove that baffle. Because my test ride was with an akra on it and i found it to quiet..

I'm getting my bike this thursday! Counting down the days...

Are the maxiss tires any good? Its getting colder out here so i am wondering if its going to effect my confidence...

Also i got the standard mirrors but i don't feel like getting bar ends. Does Anyone know good mirrors kinda like the rizoma elise but cheaper?

I like the forum already. Ride safe!

#16 ·
Hello,

My name is Seppe 27years old and this is my first KTM I bought. Started riding on a kawa er6f and felt like it was time for a new and ''bigger" bike. Even though the ktm is lighter:angel:.
I am 6ft tall so orderd the 20mm taller comfort seat. Got the akra for free! And looking at the forum i will remove that baffle. Because my test ride was with an akra on it and i found it to quiet..

I'm getting my bike this thursday! Counting down the days...

Are the maxiss tires any good? Its getting colder out here so i am wondering if its going to effect my confidence...

Also i got the standard mirrors but i don't feel like getting bar ends. Does Anyone know good mirrors kinda like the rizoma elise but cheaper?

I like the forum already. Ride safe!
Hello and welcome to the forum and 790 ownership
+20mm seat is a very good upgrade
Akra with baffle removed improves the music#
Maxxis are ok as long as you warm them up first but I would change when these wear out

standard mirrors look poor and vibrate, bar ends work very well

#19 ·
Lot of people have mentioned barracuda mirrors. Looking at the site there’s some decent options. I’ve got pp bar ends but thinking I might switch back to stalks as they’re a bit **** when filtering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.