KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Huge thanks to the mods/admins for starting and maintaining this place! - I've been creeping this site for a couple months now and just decided to actually contribute so I created an account.

I'm from Victoria, BC - far west coast of Canada for those not too geographically inclined. :smile:

45 year old Former Club racer of 8 years, now a street rider who rides spirited yet also enjoys the comforts of a naked bike - hence my purchase of a 2019 790 Duke roughly 2 months ago now.

Mods:

- Dunlop Q3+ tires replaced the stockers even before it left the dealership (rode a friends 790, hated them)
- Passenger pegs removed - PP exhaust holder installed.
- bar end mirrors on order - cheapo ebay specials - fingers crossed.
- Ermax tinted screen.
- Ohlins shock - so much more control now.
- Andreani 20mm Misano Cartridge kit in the forks. Also a huge step up from the OEM WP non-adjustable stuff.

In the 2 months I've had I've managed 5000kms (3000 miles) in a mix of 200km Sunday rides and a few multi day road trips.

Up next:

- brake pads - faaaaack the stockers suck - I swapped bikes with my buddy on an '18 1290SD and HOLY CRAP his brakes were like my race bike set up - night and day from the set up on the 790. Hopefully some HH's help out as for daily use they are adequate but I fear in a panic stop scenario I'd be in a world of trouble.

- Also to note - my bike was also one of those with the issue reading the immobilizer when new so the dealer had to swap out my entire setup with another 790 on the floor to get it going issue free when I bought it AND, my counter shaft seal is weeping a little - not too bad but for sure not a proper seal.

Anyways - thanks for having me here!

Lionel

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Welcome, YL. Great input on the suspension. Thanks. How do you like the Q3+ on the Duke?

The EBC FA244HH work great for this bike. Lots of us swapped already. You can check out some info on the suspension and brake sub-forum.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, YL. Great input on the suspension. Thanks. How do you like the Q3+ on the Duke?

The EBC FA244HH work great for this bike. Lots of us swapped already. You can check out some info on the suspension and brake sub-forum.
I was a Dunlop supported guy when I raced so there's some brand loyalty for sure at play but even taking that out of the equation - I just plain love these tires. Had them on my last 4-5 bikes now and IMO they offer the best bang for your buck for street/TD rubber. They are 98% as good as the Pirelli Supercorsa V3's and 65-70% the cost - easy decision for me as both offer roughly the same wear rates.

I have read up on the HH's here and that's what cemented the decision to go for those. Not too sure a fluid upgrade would offer any tangible difference so likely stay with stock brake fluid for now at least and just try the pads - cheap and easy so no excuse not to really, and I feel stupid waiting this long to do it.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I am riding Q's for years. Since the original Q1, then 2 and 3. Loved them on all of my bikes. Extremely quick steering, very linear and predictable, great warm-up and very good traction. They also have pretty good thread life, for the amount of traction they offer. Rode them on the street and on the track. I agree on bang for the buck as well. Had them installed, F+R, more than once for under $250, after rebates.

I'd start with the pads. I don't think the fluid should be high priority. I will say this once more (already posted this): the pads are your BEST under $100 mod. You would love them. Of course, other HH pads should work as well, if you prefer other brands. It is just the the EBC ot very good reviews from other forum members.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Thanks again for your help getting registered - other than on a dance floor I've never been confused with being a robot before. :grin:
hahaha! I email several people everyday for the same thing, getting trapped in the forums Spam Filter, (trying to register). No big deal, been doing it for months now, no one gets left behind! :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts