KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2020 Duke 790 a couple weeks ago and just clicked over the 600 mile break in. Haven't made many changes yet, just basic protection:

Evo-Tech Sliders: Front axle, Rear Axle, Engine
KTM Windscreen: Not in love with how it looks, but excellent for long rides
KTM Lower Scoop/Bellypan

I also mounted a Quad-Lock for my phone that sits nicely just inside the windscreen.

One question I have is about the turn signals. They look like big yellow bulbs, but I see a lot of pictures of more narrow looking clean LED turn signals. They appear stock on the 890. What is it I keep seeing?

·
Registered
407 Posts
@theflyingtoad I believe new US bikes have to be fitted with regular bulbs due to local regulations.

Here in Europe and other places the bikes come with LEDs as standard.

Some folks in the US have messed around with resistors to be able to run various LED signals (basically the resistors + LEDs appear like a regular bulbs to the driver - otherwise they flash at the wrong rate and may show an error in the dash.

There is an LED option in the hidden dash settings though this requires the KTM dealer software / laptop to configure - I think (but am not certain) that this allows you to use the standard KTM LED signals without messing with resistor packs.

The resistor approach is a workaround - the resistors get hot as they have to dissipate the same amount of energy that a regular bulb would use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up. The LEDs look so clean, may have to figure out how to get that working.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke, 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 (Sold/LEMON), 2018 Ninja 400 (1st Bike!/Sold)
3 Posts
I am going to tackle doing my LED if a few days. But take a look at this posts to see if want to do aftermarket vs EU spec lights.
LED Mode: LED Flashers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading through all that, it sounds like using the EU Spec Lights is the easiest if your local KTM dealer is cool and competent. That is what I think I will do. I need to install the USB plug to charge my phone on the Quadlock, so maybe I'll do that all together since I'll be all into the headlight assembly.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
After reading through all that, it sounds like using the EU Spec Lights is the easiest if your local KTM dealer is cool and competent. That is what I think I will do. I need to install the USB plug to charge my phone on the Quadlock, so maybe I'll do that all together since I'll be all into the headlight assembly.

Thanks
@theflyingtoad - I think the EU spec lights do look good.

I also use a QuadLock for my phone (and just got the recently released vibration dampener too) - it's worth it to save your phone's camera if it has optical image stabilization.

Rather than fit the KTM power outlets I came up with my own solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts