KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got the box last week. I will probably wait for the first annual service early March before I install it.
I should mention the excellent customer service at Coober.eu as they answered my few emails right away during the weekend!
I was wrong : AFR is (of course!) modified in the closed-loop section.
I also watched the Pirate Racing YT videos about the 890 R. Exhaustive and serious testing there ! I thought that you might be interested in a summary:
  • Maximum power is always obtained in the stock configuration with catalyst and conforms to the spec : about 120 hp at the gearbox.
  • Coober "street map" + OEM cat + slip-on is a very good "near legal" combo (same perf. as evo map + Arrow decat + slip-on). This confirms the feedback given here !
  • Coober "race map" + racing Arrow dual-exhaust line gives top mid-range performance for a good price.
  • SC1-R Project slip-on is very good; Akra has been tested a bit better on the 790 Adv, so should also be the same on 890 R.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thought some of you might be interested in my little story.
Let me say upfront that the boss at Coober always returned my emails extremely quickly (at least until I began asking technical questions ...), so no complaints on this side with this company.
The check engine light came up shortly after the install and would not disappear even after riding for about 400 km.
The people at Coober didn't find this normal and asked first me to desinstall/reinstall.
The engine light would then remain on even without the Coober ECU; I had to clear the code (low O2 voltage) manually.
Upon reinstall, the engine light came up again and I send them the error code + log from my OBD app.
I was then informed that my KTM had "signals at the limit" and that I will be sent a new ECU "with modified firmware" ... (I imagined different parameter values instead)
I did receive the new ECU very soon after and the engine light never came up again with it. Good !
From this I inferred that obtaining a low O2 voltage is not something expected by Coober (I would have assume the opposite). Better call them if this happens to you.
Honestly, it is difficult for me to notice a strong impact from the Coober LM; my 890R was nice from the start and not jerky at all (only the QS is useless).
So, in MY case, not a night and day experience, unlike e.g., the replacement of the stock ECU of my Ducati with the Performance one (+ open air box and pipes).
Anyway, I got full support and a solution from Coober and that was much appreciated.
If one of the guys at Coober is reading these lines, I would also appreciate their own comments and explanations.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got the Coober LM but unlike the one in the Pirate racing video mine has a ground connector, they see to connect it to the battery negative but it's too short to get there, anyone here who installed it has any idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, I installed a Coober LM on my 890 Duke R last weekend, mine also had the ground wire, I removed the plastic fuel tank cowling and stuck the LM module to the side of the tank, just in front of the ECU, I fed the ground wire back to the battery, it was just about long enough and then refitted the cowling.

The latest version also does away with the wire you have to cut to get the richer map for running without the cat, according to an e-mail I had from Coober the module automatically detects if it needs to run richer now.

With the module fitted it definately feels smoother at low to mid revs.

Matt.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts