KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
upgraded my Handle Bars today. After much contemplating i went with the Pro Taper Steering Damper Low Evo Bar.

I wanted a more aggressive stance on the Bike.

after correcting the preload on the rearshock coupled with the new bars it feels like a new bike.

they are 4cms wider overall. but it makes them more comfortable.

A shout out to KTM for making so easy. no need for drilling or using grip glue (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Done the same just now with a set of bars I had fitted to my old s1000rr they’re 1cm shorter but lower and further forward.
They’re scnitzer branded but have no idea who would have made them for them.

·
136 Posts
A question for both of you. How tall are you? I'm 6' 1" and have been considering doing something similar but am concerned that it might result in a too aggressive posture.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A question for both of you. How tall are you? I'm 6' 1" and have been considering doing something similar but am concerned that it might result in a too aggressive posture.
I’m a little under 5’ 6” like you I don’t want it too aggressive I’ve not ridden it yet but Sat on it feels fine,
at the moment a great deal of my riding is motorway so I’m just trying to get out out of some of the wind blast.
im not interested in fitting a screen as I feel this may cause a handling issue and not keen on how they look.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im 6'. the stock bars are were approx 9cm high. the pro taper bar is around 6cm. but they have much less sweep.
but still you are probably only leaning forward an extra 7-8 cm.
it is still very comfortable. I came from sports bikes and thats not what i was after.

the straighter bar make slow speed maneuvering so much easier.

rearsets next to lift my knees a little and i will be happy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was looking at ProTaper's site trying to find options over the winter and didn't see these, very nice! How are they at a faster pace?

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More forward means more weight on front. Better grip

Less sweep easy to control.

Evo is their best line. And at 140 bux Aussie. Probably the cheapest part on the bike. Can't go wrong

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
A great mod. Really helped my with getting a more forward riding position. Went with the Fatbars KTM Low.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pro taper is a 38 rise and 47mm sweep. Its the lowest I could find besides the flat drag bar or clip ons. I think stock is around 90mm rise

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have also the KTM PowerPart HandleBar option, and also the 890R Standard Bar.
Actually, it should be interesting to know if there are differencies between the 790 PP handlebar and the 890R standard one, a part the colour, and what they are.
Those are the PP handlebar specs (code 6410290100004):
Different geometry compared to the standard handlebar, to bring the rider in a more active riding position
High grade orange anodized aluminum
28,50 mm diameter at the clamping area
22,15 mm diameter at the lever area
Dimensions: A = 96 mm, B = 767 mm, C = 107 mm

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Renthal say they have a 53mm rise - any idea what stock rise is so I know just how much lower they are?
I'll try and find the info. I can also measure. I have the old bars. Just remember that the new also have less sweep than the OEM, so they put you significantly more forward.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You have also the KTM PowerPart HandleBar option, and also the 890R Standard Bar.
Actually, it should be interesting to know if there are differencies between the 790 PP handlebar and the 890R standard one, a part the colour, and what they are.
Those are the PP handlebar specs (code 6410290100004):
Different geometry compared to the standard handlebar, to bring the rider in a more active riding position
High grade orange anodized aluminum
28,50 mm diameter at the clamping area
22,15 mm diameter at the lever area
Dimensions: A = 96 mm, B = 767 mm, C = 107 mm
The stock 890 bars are around £25.00 more expensive than the pp bars, I’m pretty sure they’re not the same but someone may well correct me on that.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think clip ons are too aggressive and restrict the turning too much. Might aswell buy a sports bike

·
Registered
28 Posts
upgraded my Handle Bars today. After much contemplating i went with the Pro Taper Steering Damper Low Evo Bar.

I wanted a more aggressive stance on the Bike.

after correcting the preload on the rearshock coupled with the new bars it feels like a new bike.

they are 4cms wider overall. but it makes them more comfortable.

A shout out to KTM for making so easy. no need for drilling or using grip glue (y)
Looks very nice!
Have you had any problems with the cables being too short if you fully turn it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
These bars do not clear Andreani cartridge adjusters when the bar mounts are in the forward position. Maaaaaybe once preload and valving is set, but likely won't be able to get a low-pro allen key in at the adjusters. Will update for the sake of keeping bar info in one place.

My hand position is great now though!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts