KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey everyone,

Just finished trading in my '18 690 Enduro for a '19 790 Duke! My sons insisted on orange, so being a good father I obliged :grin:

The bike is still in the crate so they need a few days to get everything ready, it's going to be a long weekend without riding...boo.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
The black looks better... Just saying.

Welcome!

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
LMAO! I have to admit I agree with QCS!

Congrats and welcome. Always awesome to have another duker on the site. The scalpel does not disappoint!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The duke has arrived! It was ready one day earlier than expected which is always nice. I debated black vs orange, but my son said a ktm had to be orange (he loved the orange frame on my 690) 😉

This bike has fantastic power delivery! I've had 1,000cc sport bikes and naked bikes so I thought long and hard about a slightly used '17 1290 superduke instead. After going to the 690 enduro I had forgotten the power delivery of a street focused bike, this 790 is going to be perfect.

Others have said it, as have professional reviewers...the stock exhaust is surprisingly sweet sounding. Too bad it's so darn ugly....but it underscores that all you likely need is a slip-on.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Others have said it, as have professional reviewers...the stock exhaust is surprisingly sweet sounding. Too bad it's so darn ugly....but it underscores that all you likely need is a slip-on.
I actually don't think the OEM exhaust looks so bad. It's big and heavy but its lines work well with the bike. I have looked at a lot of aftermarket slip-ons and have yet to find one that really looks good to me. Maybe the arrow, or something similar. Most slip-ons are just too big. Noise regulations, I guess...

·
Registered
92 Posts
the stock exhaust is surprisingly sweet sounding. Too bad it's so darn ugly....but it underscores that all you likely need is a slip-on.
The only thing I didn't like about the stock exhaust was the abundance of stainless steel! Easily solved with $15 worth of wrap from Canadian Tire! Love the way it looks now.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is nice! Details please.
It's a self-adhesive product called WrapTech. I unscrewed the heat shield from the exhaust, and with the aid of the good lady wife and her hairdryer, covered it! Probably took about 45 minutes, and the end result looks great! The heat shield sits far enough off the exhaust for the wrap to be completely unaffected by the heat. To my eye, it really transforms the look of the stock exhaust. And all for $15!

Attachments

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I really like that! I was thinking of just painting it or powder coating it, but I like the textured look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wrap looks great, I've used that same product on a few other items but wasn't sure if it would be impacted by the heat. I ended up painting the heatshield with some of the VHT high heat black paint - looks good for now. Seems to have broken up the "too much silver" look of the stock system. I'm still thinking about an aftermarket slip-on for a deeper tone, which means a larger can like the Leovince Factory S or the Wings. I had a Wings exhaust on my 690 Enduro and the build quality was excellent.

The painted heat shield has bought the stock exhaust some additional time...it will look even better once the exhaust bracket arrives so I can remove the rear pegs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there, looks like you grabbed last orange 790 in Ottawa, which made my choice easy...I took the black and silver one off the showroom floor! Hope you’re enjoying yours, and maybe I’ll see you on the road.

MapleLeaf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Mark, did curious what you did with heat shield on the bike? is that rubber grip on it? It looks great considered that for mine but went another direction with aftermarket. Thanks Mark see your newer post and the product you used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts